Anybody here actually USE specialized FUDGE dice for FUDGE or FATE?

Toxicbob2000

Wannabe GM
Validated User
I've seen a lot of people complain about the lack of availability of FUDGE dice, or "dF"...but they are just six-sided dice...a 'high' roll (5-6) is a '+', a 'middle' roll (3-4) is '0' and a 'low' roll (1-2) is a '-'. That's how I always played FUDGE and never used expensive specialty dice. Even my kid sister and mum were able to run a game, the only system they've found easier is PDQ# (you'd be surprised how intuitive an HP-less narrative-based system is to somebody who hasn't played any video games besides Animal Crossing and Roller Coaster Tycoon). Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else runs FUDGE or FATE with unmodified d6's.

Matt Greenfelder

former armageddonsock
Validated User
Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else runs FUDGE or FATE with unmodified d6's.
Emphasis mine - your thread title asks "Anybody here actually USE specialized FUDGE dice for FUDGE or FATE?"

You're probably going to get a lot of "Yeah, I use real FUDGE dice with my FATE/FUDGE games" responses.

Which I do. The only way I've used unmodified d6's for FATE is when I used the d6 minus d6 roll method.

John Marron

Exoticising the other
Validated User
I loaded up on fudge dice from my FLGS in Maine when they changed ownership. For some reason, they had really, really overstocked on them, and I bought packs of 20 for $1 per pack. I think at one point I owned over 150 fudge dice, but I've given tons away over the years and probably only have 30 or so now.

So, to actually answer your question, I use Fudge dice, not d6's.

John

Toxicbob2000

Wannabe GM
Validated User
I was just curious...I've seen forums where people have used the unavailability of specialized dice as a reason to use Starblazer's +/- d6 method or to not play a FUDGE based game at all. Do the specialized dice really save that much time?

Anatosuchus

Definitely not the Antichrist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was just curious...I've seen forums where people have used the unavailability of specialized dice as a reason to use Starblazer's +/- d6 method or to not play a FUDGE based game at all. Do the specialized dice really save that much time?
I think they just take a mental step out of the rolling process, making it more transparent. On the rare occasions I play anything FUDGE-like (FATE 2) I do use fudge dice. They are disappointingly lightweight, but as mentioned, they do make rolling a bit nicer.

Matt Greenfelder

former armageddonsock
Validated User
I didn't mean to seem snarky - if it came off that way I apologize.

For me, yes, constantly reminding myself and my players that "1-2 is bad, 3-4 is meh, 5-6 is good" is distracting enough that I would rather mark up regular dice to avoid having to convert the numbers on-the-fly.

Fearless Leader

Validated User
I use fudge dice.

Define expensive. I occasionally blow $60 to take my wife and kids to go see a movie at the theater. $12 for set of dice to support a game system I'll play more than once is cheap in comparison.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
I bought one of those 20 packs for 12 bucks a couple years ago, and I haven't looked back since. I vastly prefer actual dFs for my Fudge and Fudge derived gaming experiences.

I just wish that they made 24 packs, because me and five players isn't unusual for my games. With just four sets of dice, I tend to assume that NPCs roll 0s constantly, then have players roll for everything.

Top Bottom