Anybody playing Azur Lane?

CaButler

Validated User
I'm curious to know if anybody has been playing this mobile title that's been out for a while called Azur Lane and how things are going so far.

For those that haven't heard of it or are curious, Azur Lane is an F2P game similar in the vein of another game, Kantai Collection, where you build boat girls to go and re-enact World War 2's pacific theater. Basically, another waifu game, but it's not as bad as you think it is.

Here's a trailer for those that are curious:

[video=youtube;P3M-1wMd0h8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3M-1wMd0h8[/video]

I've found the game to be quite enjoyable, to be honest. It's not quite twitchy like a typical bullet hell game is, but you are relying on your own reaction time to avoid the bigger attacks that can do a lot of damage, as well as making sure you get your own shots in. And I'll admit, the character designs had my interest, but the gameplay won me over in the end. Anybody else playing this?

Last edited:

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
I've found the game to be quite enjoyable, to be honest. It's not quite twitchy like a typical bullet hell game is, but you are relying on your own reaction time to avoid the bigger attacks that can do a lot of damage, as well as making sure you get your own shots in. And I'll admit, the character designs had my interest, but the gameplay won me over in the end. Anybody else playing this?
Something to add to the above is that you're re-enacting the Pacific Theater from the Allied side, so the main story heroines are drawn from American and British ships, initially centering around the Yorktown, Enterprise, and Hornet.

But yeah, I've been playing it a bunch, largely because it has actually been generous enough to hold my interest, plus it includes some fun hooky bits, like how the Saratoga and Lexington have an artillery support ability because those carriers were also armed with eight 8" guns.

Last edited:

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
I've been following it off and on for a bit, but didnt actually play because of the issues with emulation.
Now that we have an English version, I dont have an excuse. NOT having to play with the Japanese as the goodguys (Or even having to equip Japanese ships) is a bonus. There's a nice variety of designs too, although I wish they'd branch away from caucasian a bit more.

PS: SoDak is my Waifu. :D

CaButler

Validated User
I've been following it off and on for a bit, but didnt actually play because of the issues with emulation.
Now that we have an English version, I dont have an excuse. NOT having to play with the Japanese as the goodguys (Or even having to equip Japanese ships) is a bonus. There's a nice variety of designs too, although I wish they'd branch away from caucasian a bit more.

PS: SoDak is my Waifu. :D
Well, we do have some outliers, like the Indianapolis and the South Dakota (and I do like the SaDak's design), but I agree that we can use more variety and not stick with Caucasian for some of the designs.

Speaking of, one thing to keep in mind that while this is indeed a gacha game and a majority of the ships you collect will be from building them, there are a few Super Rare ships in the game that cannot be gotten from the gacha. You can only get a majority of these ships through drops from the maps in the game. These are mostly Sakura Empire ships like the Akagi and Kaga, but two USS ships, the South Dakota and the Eldridge, can only be retrieved through the munitions store, and you get currency there by partaking in PvP matches. So, while you may need to rely on the RNG for the drops, you still have the ability to earn an SR ship through other means.

As for the designs, I can't help but think that some character designs are drawing inspiration from other characters. You can't look at the Yorktown and not think "Iri, is that you?"

Last edited:

DuckFate

Bonafide Quack
Validated User
I've been playing since the english version came out of beta and have been having a blast. I find the gameplay a nice break from the turn based combat of other mobile games. It's also very generous in terms of both the crafting material and the gatcha rates themselves.

Whoever is behind Azur Lane is definitely making a major push in terms of promoting their IP. They got local servers almost everywhere now. I think Europe is the last major mobile market. Then, back to back, they announce a PS4 game made by the studio behind Hyperdimensional Neptunia and a TV anime. With perhaps the sole exception of the music tracks (Kancolle still edges out AL), Azure Lane is definitely my go to shipgirl game. In fact, I haven't been playing any of my other mobile games because I've been having more fun playing this one.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
I've actually got most of my ships from map drops. It's rare that a ship is gatcha draw only. (Although my inability to seemingly draw Atago or Vampire is starting to annoy me considering I'm on #6 for Prince of Wales drops.)
That said, I've actively been farming the map nodes for the ship drops too.

To those who are wondering how they make their money...there are two 'In Game' currencies that actually matter, that can help you plan out some things.

The first is Oil. This is Action Economy. Every time you deploy a fleet to a battle, it costs an amount of oil that varies from girl to girl. You do generate oil, mostly via 'expeditions', but you tend to be capped with how much they give you in a day. You will want to resist the urge to Limit Break any ship girls you get, as Limit Breaking will increase their deployment cost. Limit breaking DOES give a sharp boost to stats, but the oil cost can build up fast so it's generally not worth it unless you really need that boost or need to level them up past L70. You can buy oil with Gems, but this is not really worth it in the long run as they have more important uses.

The 2nd is Gems. Gems are the more traditional In Game currency and can be bought with real money. There are In Game rewards that can drop them, but they slow down after the initial bunch. They can be used to purchase alternate costumes for various ships and for resources, but they are also used to pay for certain expansions. You really want to save their use for the latter unless you really REALLY like a skin. (The ones I'd earmark are the dock expansions, the dorm expansions, and wedding rings. You can increase training slots, but that's purely optional)

There is a pretty good English Wiki for the game. It's mostly tailored for the Chinese/Japanese versions, but it's still a pretty useful guide for the English version. I mostly use it for the Ship Drop Table and Equipment Drop Table. Keep in mind the English version is currently limited to maps up to 6-4. As a warning, a lot of the art is on the NSFW side, so if you go looking at ship stats, bare that in mind.

Last edited:

CaButler

Validated User
I've actually got most of my ships from map drops. It's rare that a ship is gatcha draw only. (Although my inability to seemingly draw Atago or Vampire is starting to annoy me considering I'm on #6 for Prince of Wales drops.)
That said, I've actively been farming the map nodes for the ship drops too.
Which is a real pain in the ass when you're actively farming certain maps but the RNG doens't drop those SR ships you want. Looking at you, 3-4!

Last edited:

DuckFate

Bonafide Quack
Validated User
I have both Kaga and Akagi, but they're stuck at level 90 until I can farm at least 1 more of each. My gold bulins are too few in number to push them over the edge.

Top Bottom