Anybody playing Marvel Dice Masters?

Korr

Go play? Play now?
Validated User
After many years of refraining from dropping any money on anything in a collectible format, I finally failed my will save. The game seems to be selling well in my area, but I'm having a little trouble finding players locally. Anybody here have any experiences with it?

Femme Firebird

Banned
I'd like to play it, but I can't afford the starters and stuff to see if I like it. While it looks interesting, I'm just not sure. I'd love to get some cosmic characters, though.

Stickman12

.NET Overload
Validated User
I've played a little - it's a 2 player version of Quarriors, so if you like that I think Marvel is a safe bet. The starters allow 2 people to play, the boosters offer more choice but aren't strictly required. The cards seem relatively well balanced from what I can see although there are some that are just downright good, but I don't think it quite has the same 'pay to win' as, say, Magic. The components are decent quality for the second set (Uncanny X-Men) but some of the ones from the original Avengers Vs X-Men are just a little lame - War Machine, I'm looking at you! Also, if you buy the boosters, prepare for a lot of warped cards, it seems to be an issue.

Essentially it's a deck builder, but you have a dice pool instead of cards. Most cards represent characters from the MU, and a decent number of famous characters are covered in the two sets (all the main Avengers, X-Men, some X-Men villains, Spidey). You start with a bag full of cheap 'sidekick' dice and roll those to generate resources to purchase new dice. Those in turn get rolled eventually to build more resource or to field. Once fielded they attack your opponent before going back to the bag. It's not the deepest strategy game ever but a short game will take about 20 minutes and there's a tactile pleasure to rolling the dice. The various characters have quite thematic abilities but there are occasions where an ability will have you scratching your head for what it might translate to in comic terms.

I would recommend grabbing the rules for free from the WizKids site, then heading for dice masters db and just proxy'ing in some chits for dice types and then rolling d6s for the results. It won't be the same but you can see if the game interests you.

I'm working on a solo variant at the moment, so overall I'd say I'm a fan and want to have more excuses to play

The 'cheap' way to get started is apparently a starter set and buying a set of commons of e-bay. The commons are so, well, common that the completists end up with loads of them so complete sets are pretty cheap.

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
I have just bought this. I adore dice games and am freaking out a bit about how much I might end up spending on this game. Now, I have to ask the question I should have asked before using that $20 gift certificate... what's the promo situation like?

Stickman12

.NET Overload
Validated User
As I understand it they released some promos that were either alternate action cards (so usable by both players) or very expensive - 7 costs mostly. So they fall into the nice to have, fun sort of promos rather than game creaking from what I've seen. I haven't got to play much, but it looks like you can make a pretty amazing team with commons and uncommons, rares and super-rares tend to support specific strategies rather than being just amazing on their own. I'll admit to being a teeny bit hooked on this, and definitely looking forwards to adding Superman, Batman and some Elves next year :)

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
As I understand it they released some promos that were either alternate action cards (so usable by both players) or very expensive - 7 costs mostly. So they fall into the nice to have, fun sort of promos rather than game creaking from what I've seen. I haven't got to play much, but it looks like you can make a pretty amazing team with commons and uncommons, rares and super-rares tend to support specific strategies rather than being just amazing on their own. I'll admit to being a teeny bit hooked on this, and definitely looking forwards to adding Superman, Batman and some Elves next year :)
Neat. :)

Thanks for the info!

Femme Firebird

Banned
Sounds cool! What Elves? Lord of the Rings or something?

Argh. Not sure how or where to get started, but I know there are Silver Surfer cards, and other cosmic guys, so... I don't know.

Stickman12

.NET Overload
Validated User
There's a DnD Dice Masters coming next year with Minsk from Baldurs Gate .. I pretty much squealed, along with, I think - an Age of Ultron Marvel expansion and a DC starter.

To be honest, the best 'in' is a starter set, which gives you enough for 2 people to play a small scale game with. You can get all the info you need to play free between the official site and dice masters db site. You can also just grab the rules for free and buy a couple of boosters, but you'd probably need to sub in some other 12mm D6s to represent the 'sidekick' dice. Again, if you were determined you could probably come up with some simple house rules to cover the lack of those. Each of the different starters (ie AvX or Uncanny) comes with different action cards that are accessed by both players. Lack of any of those isn't killer but its something to bear in mind. Plus all the start cards aren't in the booster distribution, so you won't be getting double cards from any of them. Lastly, as Andy rightly says, you can get a complete set of commons or uncommons on ebay for about £20, so that should definitely be an option.

There's definitely Silver Surfer, Nova, maybe a few other cosmic guys but in general they're not mega represented from the cards I have - the lack of Guardians is glaring, so I'd put money on them arriving in the next expansion.

Top Bottom