• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Anybody playing Marvel Dice Masters?

Stickman12

.NET Overload
Validated User
Dungeons & Dragons, not Tolkien. ;)

Here's the first (I think) promo:

I will own this promo.
OMG, so excited :) If it's anything like the current Dice Masters, there will be 1-3 other Minsc cards in the set with different subtitles, very likely with different special abilities (the redacted part) - so you don't *have* to chase Boo down to play him. But of course, why wouldn't you?

Femme Firebird

Banned
Is there a Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) card?

Hm. I must have this. Of course, it's the worst time to want such a thing, but still, with D&D coming, too, that sounds pretty amazing.

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
OMG, so excited :) If it's anything like the current Dice Masters, there will be 1-3 other Minsc cards in the set with different subtitles, very likely with different special abilities (the redacted part) - so you don't *have* to chase Boo down to play him. But of course, why wouldn't you?
Oh, I'll be chasing this and the Phoenix (Jean Grey or Rachel Summers only) character no matter what. :D

Is there a Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) card?

Hm. I must have this. Of course, it's the worst time to want such a thing, but still, with D&D coming, too, that sounds pretty amazing.
I don't think there's a Spider-Woman character yet. :(

Femme Firebird

Banned
Phoenix would be cool. And I'll hold out hope for my favorite heroine (that would be Spider-Woman) yet! The existence of the Surfer and some others is very promising, and I'd love to get the Avengers and stuff. If I had a Christmas list, this would definitely go on it!

The example games I saw on YouTube look pretty fun.

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
Now that they're both out, I think a better in is a starter set of both the AvX and whatever the new X-men set is. Of course, even though they're out doesn't mean they're always available. One starter set gives you enough for two players to play with--technically, but it's really very limited and not a lot of replay value. With one of both starter sets both players can field eight characters and have some meaningful decisions in which versions of characters to play. Plus, if you can get them for actual MSR, they're not that expensive for a base game.

Femme Firebird

Banned
What do you realistically need to drop to have a fun enough amount for a couple players to get some variety and strategy going? And can you play with more than two players at a time?

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
What do you realistically need to drop to have a fun enough amount for a couple players to get some variety and strategy going? And can you play with more than two players at a time?
I believe it's still only two players right now and I've been told you can play quite satisfactorily with two starters (roughly $25 total.)

AndyGuest

Forgive me for starting with the basics, I first wrote this directly answering your question but ended up back tracking all the way to the basics.

When you play the game you first decide which characters you want on your team. You then need to decide which version of each character you want. Each version is represented by a different card that has a different power/effect/tactic on it. Every version of any character uses the exact same dice - so all the common, rare, ultra-rare, whatever versions of Cyclops all use the same dice, only the card specific effect changes.

Having decided which characters you want on your team you then decide how to divide up the dice between them. You might play with a pool of twenty dice and decide to take four dice each for five different characters or take eight different characters with three dice for four of them and two for the rest. Almost all the cards/characters have a limit of four dice that can be allocated to them.

A starter set gives you a bunch of cards for a handful of different characters and two character specific dice for each character. The starter set is plenty to let you play a small scale game for two. Two starter sets give you the maximum number of dice that can be used on any of the start set cards (four). Unless you and your opponent both want to use the same character (game legal if logically confusing) you will have enough dice.

Each booster contains two cards and one die to go with each card (two dice therefore). Some of the booster cards are different cards for characters you will have from the starter set, that will give you an extra die for that character (a mostly useless spare die if you have two starters). Some of the cards in the boosters are for characters which aren't in the starter set, as such you will have only one die for those characters unless you get lucky with other boosters (setting aside buying from e-bay for the moment).

From reading on BGG the general advice is (unless you are a collecting who is buying boxes of boosters) that about ten boosters is the most that is generally worth buying. After that diminishing returns starts to really kick in and you are getting more and more duplicate cards and useless spare dice.

On ebay/buying opened boosters.

There are two ways you can go. You can buy specific cards (usually with a single die) individually. This has the advantage of giving you exactly the card you want and a die to go with it. For the more common cards you will usually pay about the same price as a single booster.

The other option is to buy sets of commons and or uncommons. These contain (usually but not always, check carefully) one die for each character and either one common card for each character or all the common cards from the set. These sets are usually pretty good value for money.

What do you need?

You can play with just a single starter set. If you are unsure then just get one to see if you like the game.

Two starter sets of the same type will give you all the dice you can use for all the cards in the starter set.

Two starter sets of different types will give you a wider range of characters to choose from but not enough dice to field full sets for each character (but you don't need to field a full set anyway).

A starter set + a full commons + full uncommons from ebay will, if bought carefully, give you a complete set of dice for all the characters in the starter set (i.e. 4 for each of the starter set characters), a bunch of extra characters and one or two dice for each character not in the starter set. This option will probably cost you a little more than two starters but will give you more options.

So what do you need? You can play with a single starter but two starters or one starter and commons/uncommons will be a better bet.

Really cheap option

You can see images of all the cards online so you could easily print them out or write down the relevant bits on a piece of paper and use that instead of cards. Any six sided dice will work, just use the numbers on the faces to match up to the symbols on the cards. You would need a lot of different coloured dice of the same size and some way of remembering which dice go with which card though. Unless you can get a deal on a bulk buy of dice you might still be cheaper buying the game :)

Femme Firebird

Banned
Thanks for the tip! I can't really swing it at the moment, especially since the AvX starters are much more spendy (I'd prefer that for the Avengers characters), but eBay also has the Silver Surfer cards and dice, and I'd be totally down for that. In fact, it looks like fun, coming up with your own teams to do battle. I want to team up Doctors Strange and Doom. Why? BECAUSE AWESOME, THAT'S WHY!

Casidhe

Social Justice Magus
Validated User
Talking to our FLGS guy at the weekend, it looks like AvX is getting reprinted, so you might find that the prices start to drop soon.

I didn't know about the D&D version though, that might steal my love :)

Top Bottom