• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Anybody playing Marvel Dice Masters?

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
Talking to our FLGS guy at the weekend, it looks like AvX is getting reprinted, so you might find that the prices start to drop soon.

I didn't know about the D&D version though, that might steal my love :)
I think that most stores just sold out of the second printing. Great news if there is a third printing though! :)

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
I've managed to pick up some more of this and I love it. :)

What I can't figure out is if the second wave of organized play has started. I know the Phoenix Force event is over (I think it is at least) but has the Days of Future Past or Age of Apocalypse started?

DavidStallard

A fray!
Validated User
I just learned of this game's existence. I'm confused, though.... What's the difference between the "Avengers vs X-Men" and "Uncanny X-Men" sets? Is AVX out of print and UXM is the replacement? I found a card list online and it appears that UXM includes a lot of Avengers characters as well. Will there eventually be an Avengers-only set to match the UXM set? Or is that even necessary, since it seems like significant numbers of Avengers are already in the UXM set?

If I wanted to get into the game today, should I just get UXM and forget that AVX ever existed? I know there are at least a few differences with the included characters with each set, and that some dice change color between the sets, but I don't know how major these differences are.

Basically the release scheme seems like a real mess and I can't find much useful info on the official site. :)

Last edited:

DavidStallard

A fray!
Validated User
After further digging, it may be that UXM is an expansion to AVX. Although some of the character names are the same in both, it appears that UXM is actually adding new cards for characters existing in AVX. So...I think you still have to start with AVX?

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
After further digging, it may be that UXM is an expansion to AVX. Although some of the character names are the same in both, it appears that UXM is actually adding new cards for characters existing in AVX. So...I think you still have to start with AVX?
No, you can start with UXM and stick with it if you like. It's in essence stand-alone but completely compatible. If you get an AVX starter, I believe the card listing all the other cards calls AVX an expansion as well.

Last edited:

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
I just learned of this game's existence. I'm confused, though.... What's the difference between the "Avengers vs X-Men" and "Uncanny X-Men" sets? Is AVX out of print and UXM is the replacement? I found a card list online and it appears that UXM includes a lot of Avengers characters as well. Will there eventually be an Avengers-only set to match the UXM set? Or is that even necessary, since it seems like significant numbers of Avengers are already in the UXM set?

If I wanted to get into the game today, should I just get UXM and forget that AVX ever existed? I know there are at least a few differences with the included characters with each set, and that some dice change color between the sets, but I don't know how major these differences are.

Basically the release scheme seems like a real mess and I can't find much useful info on the official site. :)
Yeah, their site is... unhelpful. My understanding is they'll be doing a third printing of AVX in the next couple of months.

DavidStallard

A fray!
Validated User
Are there a lot of character cards in AVX that I would be missing if I just went with UXM? That might annoy me enough to eventually get AVX anyway, unless it's going to be 95% duplication or something.

Stickman12

.NET Overload
Validated User
The games are totally separate in that regard, for instance there is Cyclops in both games, but the Cyclops in AvX has different special abilities and subtitles than the one in UXM, although the numbers on the Cyclops dice are the same, the dice themselves are different colours (background and foreground). If your opponent was ok with it, you could substitute dice from one expansion for another. Indeed, you could run a pair of Cyclopses in one team I think, as they have different dice.

The only real choice in which base set you get is a) availability and b) which has characters you'd like more. I got some early AvX and the dice quality wasn't as good as the UXM I've gotten since. However, the newer AvX boosters seems to be top quality again. As a minor note, you get some coloured action dice with both starters, and I've found those in the AvX set to be easier to read in dim light - I think they were yellow, red, blue and green, whereas the ones in UXM were .. pink, brown, orange and purple, and they tend to blend into each other more in low light settings. It's pretty minor though.

A slight annoyance is that a few characters (like Thor, Hulk, Spidey, Beast to name a few) have 2 dice in the starter and only show up at uncommon in the boosters, so it's actually kind of tough to make a set of 4. Those who show up at common+ are much easier to find a full set. Not that it's a requirement to field 4, but you know...

Looking forwards to the DC, Ultron and DnD sets coming out this year

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
The games are totally separate in that regard, for instance there is Cyclops in both games, but the Cyclops in AvX has different special abilities and subtitles than the one in UXM, although the numbers on the Cyclops dice are the same, the dice themselves are different colours (background and foreground). If your opponent was ok with it, you could substitute dice from one expansion for another. Indeed, you could run a pair of Cyclopses in one team I think, as they have different dice.

The only real choice in which base set you get is a) availability and b) which has characters you'd like more. I got some early AvX and the dice quality wasn't as good as the UXM I've gotten since. However, the newer AvX boosters seems to be top quality again. As a minor note, you get some coloured action dice with both starters, and I've found those in the AvX set to be easier to read in dim light - I think they were yellow, red, blue and green, whereas the ones in UXM were .. pink, brown, orange and purple, and they tend to blend into each other more in low light settings. It's pretty minor though.

A slight annoyance is that a few characters (like Thor, Hulk, Spidey, Beast to name a few) have 2 dice in the starter and only show up at uncommon in the boosters, so it's actually kind of tough to make a set of 4. Those who show up at common+ are much easier to find a full set. Not that it's a requirement to field 4, but you know...

Looking forwards to the DC, Ultron and DnD sets coming out this year
Agreed although for $35 bucks or so you can get a set of commons and uncommons with dice on Ebay. I saw one recently that had the commons and uncommons and 60 dice. I'm thinking that would cover you in most situations. I just picked up the UXM set up box and the pearlescent action dice and sidekicks look awesome.

DavidStallard

A fray!
Validated User
It sounds like AVX and UXM are largely duplicate products, with just some dice color changes and different abilities for characters in both sets (and I have the impression that most characters exist in both sets?). It seems really strange to me that they'd release two "main game" editions so close to each other. And then I guess the Age of Ultron thing will be a 3rd mostly-duplicate of the main game?

If I get UXM, I'm going to wonder about those Cyclops abilities that are only in AVX until it drives me mad. :) But at the same time, I know I'll feel reluctant to get AVX because I'll already own a lot of that content (I think?).

Top Bottom