Anybody playing Marvel Dice Masters?

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
It sounds like AVX and UXM are largely duplicate products, with just some dice color changes and different abilities for characters in both sets (and I have the impression that most characters exist in both sets?). It seems really strange to me that they'd release two "main game" editions so close to each other. And then I guess the Age of Ultron thing will be a 3rd mostly-duplicate of the main game?

If I get UXM, I'm going to wonder about those Cyclops abilities that are only in AVX until it drives me mad. :) But at the same time, I know I'll feel reluctant to get AVX because I'll already own a lot of that content (I think?).
Technically you can't (for tournament play at least) mix dice. If I have the AVX Iron Man dice, I can't use them with UXM Iron Man. I don't think the overlap is that bad actually. Sure, the super-popular characters are in both sets, but there's quite a few unique to each, such as X-23 and Ice Man and Doctor Doom.

Edit: We're also starting to see UXM organized play cards in the wild. Looks like it will be much shorter than the AVX six month event. Just three cards for the first UXM (Dark Phoenix event) including a new Emma Frost, Dark Phoenix, and a new Marvel Girl. I think the next event is Days of Future Past, but haven't been able to confirm.

Last edited:

DavidStallard

A fray!
Validated User
Hmm, maybe I should just get UXM to see if I'll like the game, and if I do then I should plan on getting AVX as well...assuming that the upcoming 3rd printing doesn't sell out too fast. :) Wondering if I should go ahead and also get a box of boosters (they're called gravity displays I think?), since I saw some on sale until the end of the year.

To take an example of a character in both sets...Captain America. Is it sort of a mix of duplicated and unique cards, like maybe you get the same Commons in either set but Cap has a unique Rare in each? Or are they completely unique cards even though they represent the same character?

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
Hmm, maybe I should just get UXM to see if I'll like the game, and if I do then I should plan on getting AVX as well...assuming that the upcoming 3rd printing doesn't sell out too fast. :) Wondering if I should go ahead and also get a box of boosters (they're called gravity displays I think?), since I saw some on sale until the end of the year.

To take an example of a character in both sets...Captain America. Is it sort of a mix of duplicated and unique cards, like maybe you get the same Commons in either set but Cap has a unique Rare in each? Or are they completely unique cards even though they represent the same character?
The AVX Cap cards and UXM Cap cards are different with no cross-pollination. The dice have the same numbers but the cards are absolutely different.

I would recommend getting a starter as you suggested and seeing if you like it. You get quite a few characters and dice with that. If you like it, I would suggest the set up box (but they sell fast so you might miss them if waiting a while) since it comes with a decent storage tray, play mat, and four boosters. Oh and the UXM set up box has an alternate art Professor X! If you can find one, the AVX set up box has an alternate art Storm. You can also just jump in with boosters. One caveat is that the booster cards are often warped. :-/

DavidStallard

A fray!
Validated User
The AVX Cap cards and UXM Cap cards are different with no cross-pollination. The dice have the same numbers but the cards are absolutely different.
Ok, now it makes a lot more sense. Instead of getting duplicate Captain America cards, you're basically broadening your options on how to play Cap. So when the Age of Ultron set comes out, it will probably have Cap cards too, but they'll have new abilities and further broaden what you can do with that character.

Crumbs

Validated User
Yeah basically each character card is just a different option on the character. Just find one that fits your play style and use that one.

The game is a variation of quarriors which has the same idea with 3 rankings of monster dice.

Ok, now it makes a lot more sense. Instead of getting duplicate Captain America cards, you're basically broadening your options on how to play Cap. So when the Age of Ultron set comes out, it will probably have Cap cards too, but they'll have new abilities and further broaden what you can do with that character.
Yup. However the only difference between cards for the same character is the special ability listed on the card. In all other respects they play exactly the same.

I posted earlier in the thread how the cards and the dice are packaged and on buying options but as a summary a box of AvX or UXM will give you a bunch of different cards and two dice for each different hero. The AvX and UXM contain different cards but overlap some (but not completely) in terms of heroes.

The booster packs each contain two random cards and a single die for each of them. The cards in the booster packs might be different versions of cards/heroes from the box or heroes which aren't in the box. The booster packs are not a good way to expand out your options. They are random and you will soon run in to diminishing returns, you end up with duplicate cards and more than four of any single dice type (you can use at most four dice with almost all the cards). You can buy individual card & dice combos on ebay for the price of a booster (or less) and avoid the random duplicates. The common and uncommon sets available on ebay are great value for money.

However experience and watching play-throughs online suggest that while you can take up to four dice for each hero you pick in a game, chances are you are only going to actually be able to field one or two. So while the desire to get the full four dice for each hero is understandable, in practice they aren't necessary.

A single box has plenty for playing the short version of the game, two boxes (one of each or two the same) is plenty for two players to play with.

Oh and the other box sets, the ones with storage cases are a complete rip off and to be avoided completely.

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
Yup. However the only difference between cards for the same character is the special ability listed on the card. In all other respects they play exactly the same.

I posted earlier in the thread how the cards and the dice are packaged and on buying options but as a summary a box of AvX or UXM will give you a bunch of different cards and two dice for each different hero. The AvX and UXM contain different cards but overlap some (but not completely) in terms of heroes.

The booster packs each contain two random cards and a single die for each of them. The cards in the booster packs might be different versions of cards/heroes from the box or heroes which aren't in the box. The booster packs are not a good way to expand out your options. They are random and you will soon run in to diminishing returns, you end up with duplicate cards and more than four of any single dice type (you can use at most four dice with almost all the cards). You can buy individual card & dice combos on ebay for the price of a booster (or less) and avoid the random duplicates. The common and uncommon sets available on ebay are great value for money.

However experience and watching play-throughs online suggest that while you can take up to four dice for each hero you pick in a game, chances are you are only going to actually be able to field one or two. So while the desire to get the full four dice for each hero is understandable, in practice they aren't necessary.

A single box has plenty for playing the short version of the game, two boxes (one of each or two the same) is plenty for two players to play with.

Oh and the other box sets, the ones with storage cases are a complete rip off and to be avoided completely.
That reminds me. I had meant to thank you for the suggestion of using Ebay to get the commons and uncommons. Worked like a charm for under $40! :)

IntegralENT

Validated User
Allow me to simplfy the last page or so down:

AVX and UXM are the SAME GAME, but they use DIFFERENT VERSIONS of the characters.

Some characters also exist in one but not the other and vice versa.

They're just different sets, same game. Just like Magic the Gathering, each set has some cards the same and a bunch that are different, but they can all be played together.

DavidStallard

A fray!
Validated User
Well, I went a little crazy earlier due to sale prices and got not only a UXM starter, but also a box of boosters. And a couple playmats. And a set up box so we'd have a place to store all the dice. :)

Top Bottom