• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Anyone else watching The Good Place? [Spoilers]

Dave999

Validated User
The counter-argument to Mindy having the highest score is that Gen was ready to let Eleanor into the Good Place based on her improvement. It's possible that there was an argument about point totals, and that argument took place before the rest of Mindy's score was considered, and Gen used it as proof of improvement.
I think Gen is notable as no one seems to have called on her in a long time and she has arbitration powers over final disposition which don't seem to incorporate points.

Note that her tests aren't about points, they're about genuine self improvement.

Weirdly, that would mean the problem is Mandatory Sentencing versus Judicial Discretion.

Shay Guy

Validated User
And the Committee's nature turns out to be... Chidi's perfectionism and intense commitment to Doing The Right Thing The Right Way, without his uncertainty and indecision.

In retrospect, this honestly isn't that surprising.

Looks like they're finally, after almost three seasons, challenging the justice of the Rules. Now I'm wondering if they'll bring up the question of what the point of the rewards and punishments is in the first place, which I think has only been posed in an extended cut so far. Certainly it doesn't fit any of the classical reasons, especially since the tens of billions of humans who've died in the past 500 years have proven that it's effectively impossible for a human in the modern world to do it right.

Firelight

You don't bow before wizards.
Validated User
This may have already been said, but I wonder the degree to which indirect actions and the ability to export pain/suffering/oppression factors into the points system. That is, in ye olden times your ability to affect others was usually pretty limited. That is, if people are suffering due to your actions, you have to be close enough to witness the fallout of those actions, and your ability to negatively affect people distant from you is essentially nil.

Once the world becomes interconnected the web of action and consequence becomes far more spread out. Evil things are able to be ignored in part because they are happening to people who we don't know that are far away—even though we ostensibly have the power to stop those things from happening. For example, does buying a cell phone get me negative points because of the slave labor used to mine the palladium in the phone? How responsible am I for the things that passively benefit me, if I know about them and do nothing to stop them?

If that were true, and we know the point total needed to get into the good place is high, I could see it being the case that no one is getting in because the simple act of living on this planet in any form of society means that you're racking up so many negative points every day that it's (almost) impossible to get enough positive points to counteract them.
Well I feel pretty proud of this statement now. So I guess the question is does Michael have a plan, or is his intention just to indict the whole system as corrupt and hope the judge agrees with him?

PeterM

Validated User
It can’t just be the sort of “it’s all connected” nickel and diming that screwed the modern Doug who bought flowers for his Nana. There are still people who live mostly or entirely cut off from modern society, and there’s no way they’re getting dinged for supporting sweatshops or dictatorships. Why are all the people in isolated tribes in the rainforest still going to hell, and why did it start when it did?

Also, why does using your iPhone and otherwise supporting horribleness only dock you 144 points?

Dweller in Darkness

Formerly 'Dweller'
Validated User
It can’t just be the sort of “it’s all connected” nickel and diming that screwed the modern Doug who bought flowers for his Nana. There are still people who live mostly or entirely cut off from modern society, and there’s no way they’re getting dinged for supporting sweatshops or dictatorships. Why are all the people in isolated tribes in the rainforest still going to hell, and why did it start when it did?
It's not entirely sustainable, no.
Also, why does using your iPhone and otherwise supporting horribleness only dock you 144 points?
Percentage decrease on the penalties because they were unintentional?

Dweller in Darkness

Formerly 'Dweller'
Validated User
It's not entirely sustainable, no.
One thing occurs as a possibility - if you're cut off from the larger world, how much good can you actually DO? If you're just living at a subsistence level, then doing the kind of good the Good Place requires really doesn't seem like much of an option, and living in a small society would likewise make it difficult.

Top Bottom