Anyone go to Intercon this year?

Iralith

Validated User
Hey folks--

I'm wondering, for reasons idle and chatty, if anyone here attended Intercon this past weekend.

(It's a quite good LARPing con, running annually in the Boston/Providence area; it focuses on playing games rather than workshops and panels, though it's got some of the latter. Gets a bit of attendance from further afield than New England, including a very small international contingent--hence my curiosity.)

Last edited:

Iralith

Validated User
Oh, my question was even idler and chattier than you think! I was there myself; I was just curious if folks here had gone, what they'd played and what they thought of what they'd played, etc.

I think Intercon's a neat thing, and I've really enjoyed its diversity in types of content--which has, I think, been growing in the few years I've been attending. It hardly needs shilling from me, but I thought it might be fun to talk about here. (Though, as it's presently just you and me . . .)

BrianDR

Validated User
Oh, my question was even idler and chattier than you think! I was there myself; I was just curious if folks here had gone, what they'd played and what they thought of what they'd played, etc.

I think Intercon's a neat thing, and I've really enjoyed its diversity in types of content--which has, I think, been growing in the few years I've been attending. It hardly needs shilling from me, but I thought it might be fun to talk about here. (Though, as it's presently just you and me . . .)
I went!

I agree the content diversity has been ramping up. You've now got a pretty good spread of traditional theatre- and convention- style games, nordic and american freeform games, and an increasing number of live combat games. It's also just an all around cool place to meet other larpers.

Jadasc

Validated User
Oh, my question was even idler and chattier than you think! I was there myself; I was just curious if folks here had gone, what they'd played and what they thought of what they'd played, etc. I think Intercon's a neat thing, and I've really enjoyed its diversity in types of content--which has, I think, been growing in the few years I've been attending. It hardly needs shilling from me, but I thought it might be fun to talk about here. (Though, as it's presently just you and me . . .)
Well, for my part, I was one of the GMs for "Desperadoes Under The Eaves," a LARP based on the songs of Warren Zevon (on its third run), and I played in "Ascent to Hisseldale" (Gibson-style cyberpunk), "Thicker Than Water" (a 1920s mobsters game with vampires), and "Vue to a Kill: The Revue" (amnesia musical with stuff).

Iralith

Validated User
"Thicker Than Water"'s my friend's game, in part--hope you liked it. Your own "Desperadoes Under the Eaves," meanwhile, is the one that makes me sad my wife doesn't do one-shots: she's a fan of Warren Zevon.

I had a super-low-content Intercon this year, largely because of a busted foot. I played:
  • A talking-headsy, Childhood's Endy first contact game called "Tales of the Cradle"
  • White Death, a Nordic game that I highly recommend
  • Uh, Iron GM (the Cthulhu one) and that's it?
  • Oh, I also NPCed/floor-GMed "House of Becoming," a game I really liked as a PC a couple of year ago. Oddly satisfying to be a functionary in it, in fact: that's a game about initiations and revelations, and watching those unfold was pretty neat. After playing it myself, I found it very depressing in a good way, if that makes sense--but I was chatting with Brandon Brylawski right after this run, and he'd had a similar experience to mine and found it uplifting instead.
What I didn't get to do, that I'd planned to, was play in or NPC any of the live-combat games. Those are . . . surprisingly viable, in a hotel-function-room environment.

Last edited:

Jadasc

Validated User
"Thicker Than Water"'s my friend's game, in part--hope you liked it. Your own "Desperadoes Under the Eaves," meanwhile, is the one that makes me sad my wife doesn't do one-shots: she's a fan of Warren Zevon.
"Thicker than Water" was my favorite game of the con — it rang all my bells. And thank you; not everything's for everyone, but I'm rather proud of it.

Top Bottom