Anyone looked at Expedition to the Demonweb Pits?

doppelganger

Master of Muppets
I had a lot of fun back in the day with the Giants and Drow series of modules. I wasn't too thrilled with the new Ravenlost module, so I don't want to just run out and buy (actually log on the amazon and buy) the new Demonweb Pits module. Has anyone had a good look at it? Does it look fun?

theotyugh

Footpad
Validated User
I had a lot of fun back in the day with the Giants and Drow series of modules. I wasn't too thrilled with the new Ravenlost module, so I don't want to just run out and buy (actually log on the amazon and buy) the new Demonweb Pits module. Has anyone had a good look at it? Does it look fun?
I briefly got a copy which I sent back to Amazon due to it being damaged but it seemed pretty good, I have certainly re-ordered it. If you like Drow (and the undead) have you checked out the City of the Spider Queen Campaign? I am two sessions away from completing it and have been playing it for a little over a year. Top stuff!

Shingen

Pleased as Pie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I flipped through it at Borders. I haven't purchased it, but it looks like a great product. I also enjoyed the Ravenloft one, and it is very similar.

doppelganger

Master of Muppets
I flipped through it at Borders. I haven't purchased it, but it looks like a great product. I also enjoyed the Ravenloft one, and it is very similar.
I found the Ravenloft one to be disjointed and kind of lacking a big finale. I don't want to get the Demonweb Pits if it is set up in the same manner.

JohnBiles

Validated User
Here is my review of the adventure, which I thought was very good and will soon run for my game.

Having gotten and vastly enjoyed the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft adventure, I was pretty psyched for this, and pleased with what I got for my money, though like all pre-fab adventures, it's not perfect.

Be forewarned, there are some spoilers.

ETTDP combines material from Q1 with new material to put the old material in a new context, wrapping everything together with a new plot. The original GDQ series dealt with a Lolth-driven conspiracy against the world of Greyhawk, but this new adventure revolves around something even worse,
Spoiler: Show
a plot to unite all the major demon lords in a magically binding pact against the Celestials and the Devils under Lolth's command.

The adventure takes the party from their homeworld (which can be any of the standard D&D worlds or something created by the GM or whatever) to Sigil and from there to Ysgard, the Beastlands, a variety of minor planes (many of them from the original Q1), several planes of the Abyss, and of course, into the Demonweb itself in the Abyss. DMs who possess the original GDQ may find it useful as the PCs find, among other things, a portal into the Vault of the Drow from the D series modules, though you'd have to convert it all to 3E.

The Demonweb itself is only partially detailed, but contains enough interesting encounters to keep your party busy. It also serves as home to the climax of the adventure where
the PCs must infiltrate the assembly of Demon Lord aspects at Lloth's stronghold, then slay Llolth's aspect so the whole thing falls apart. This is both very cool but also a potential problem as PC error could lead to having to face avatars of most of the major Demon Lords simultaneously. So there is the chance of a hideous TPK if the PCs aren't careful enough.

The adventure is a lot more linearly plotted than ETCR was, though each individual chunk of it provides room for alternate approaches and the adventures goes to a lot of effort to help you deal with alternate PC approaches to problems or how things can go wrong and how to avoid a total disaster. The climax is very memorable and gives the PCs the chance to pull off a huge win, though if they screw up, they may well die in the process.

Most of the adventure seems pretty well balanced; the climax could end up anything from very easy for a very smart / powerful group of adventurers to an utter catastrophe.

My one big quibble is that it seems like
the Demon Lord aspects are seriously weak compared to many demons. This is necessary to keep the module from needing to be more like 16th or higher level, but it did kick my suspension of disbelief in the knees somewhat.

The adventure provides lots of chances for both combat and talking your way out of trouble. It definitely requires some smart players as trying to solve everything with combat will likely get you killed repeatedly.

Overall, I'd give it 9 out of 10.

UglyJimStudly

Unforgiven
Validated User
As I understand it from some ENWorld threads, it's primarily a Planescape-inspired adventure, rather than a GDQ sequel. That's pretty much convinced me not to pick it up, since I'm not much of a Planescape fan. By all accounts it's a pretty good product, just not my style.

JohnBiles

Validated User
As I understand it from some ENWorld threads, it's primarily a Planescape-inspired adventure, rather than a GDQ sequel. That's pretty much convinced me not to pick it up, since I'm not much of a Planescape fan. By all accounts it's a pretty good product, just not my style.
It riffs off Q1, the Demonweb part of GDQ, while leaving aside the G and D parts.

It does use Sigil, but the main action of it is in Ysgard, the Iron Wastes, the Demonweb, and Graz'zt's home planes whose name escpes me.

Top Bottom