Anyone played/playing Wayfarers RPG?

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So as the title says anyone play Wayfarers RPG? I was wandering around the Mongoose website and I saw that the new edition is available for pre-order. Since the blurb did not give me huge amounts of information, I did a quick search and found the Ye Olde Gaming Companye website and a link to the older rule set. Since that ruleset cost me a staggering £3.50 I thought I would give it a shot.

I am only 3 quarters of the way through and it looks to have a nice old(e) School(e) feel and you can see the bits where it was someone’s homebrew which I kind of like. My group enjoys old school games, there is a 18 month Fighting Fantasy campaign being run at the moment (and not that new fangled edition neither) and I am going to be playing in a 1e AD&D campaign next month, so I think that this game may fit in.

Also while I am willing to play old AD&D games I don’t want to run them, so this looks different enough to get past my burnout. So has anyone played it? If so what did they think?

Finally do we know how different the new version (Mongoose) is going to be? At the moment my current version is split between to A4 folders which rather goes with the old school feel, my players might appreciate a nice shiny book, if the new edition is simply a spruce up and makes it look all pretty I might give it a look over, though slightly expensive.

voidstate

Three Times Lucky!
Validated User
Sorry to break it to you but as far as know, they're unrelated. Mongoose has chosen the name Wayfarer for their new in-house system based on Runequest II. They seem to be mostly ignoring the fact that there is an existing game (the one you bought) with the same name.

vs

bottg

Validated User
....... there is a 18 month Fighting Fantasy campaign being run at the moment (and not that new fangled edition neither) ........
The new fangled one is just the old one but a bit more polished!

but to answer your question, it is just MRQ2 without the name

Marius B

Euro-Trash
Validated User
Yeah Wayfarer is just Mongoose RuneQuest2 with the RuneQuest/Glorantha part removed.
Sorry to break it to you but as far as know, they're unrelated. Mongoose has chosen the name Wayfarer for their new in-house system based on Runequest II. They seem to be mostly ignoring the fact that there is an existing game (the one you bought) with the same name.

vs
Nope. After being made aware that there was already a fantasy RPG around with the name Wayfarers, Mongoose not only changed the title of their RQ minus Glorantha system to Legend, they also offered to publish the existing Wayfarers RPG by Ye Olde Gaming Companye for them.

I don't know whether the Mongoose version of Wayfarers is actually a new edition or it's the exact same edition just with printing and distribution handled by Mongoose.

EDIT: You can pre-order either one from Mongoose:
Legend (the RQ sans RQ)
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/legend/legend/legend-core-rulebook.html
Wayfarers:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/wayfarers-core-rulebook.html

In any event, the story here is not that Mongoose were kinda dicks who screwed over the little guy but that Mongoose were absolute gentlemen. While I'll admit that the former makes a more compelling narrative, the latter is actually accurate.

Last edited:

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Really? Because that is not the impression either Mongoose or Ye Olde Gaming Companye give. On the Mongoose website it is not linked with Legend (MRQII as was), rather it is in the Other Games section & Ye Olde have this news item http://yeoldegamingcompanye.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=989 on their website: “Yes, it is true. The good people at Mongoose Publishing are going to distribute Wayfarers!”

Edit: Yeah what Marius says really. Does mention that Wayfarers is getting a revision, just not sure how much of a revision.

Last edited:

tigsmri

Validated User
Wayfarers RPG (Revised) is scheduled for release in December, World of Twylos (Revised) in January. Absolutely a must for my game group. Can't wait to see the revisions.

Top Bottom