Anyone playing Apex: Legends? (From the makers of Titanfall)

Acrozatarim

Safe with us pandas.
Validated User
So yesterday the team behind the Titanfall games announced, and then promptly released, their new game - Apex Legends, a battle royale set 30 years after the events of Titanfall 2.

It's a free-to-play model with lootboxes that only provide cosmetics. You play in teams of three, with a selection of 8 characters to pick your from; each has a unique passive ability, a short-recharge active ability, and a long-recharge 'ultimate' ability. It seems to be 60 players per match divided into 20 teams of 3.

To answer the obvious question: There are no Titans in it. It's not Titanfall 3, even though it shares a setting. Maybe we'll see Titans eventually though?

Movement is fairly swift, you can clamber about the place, and sliding gets you some impetus but it doesn't have the Titanfall wall-running levels of parkour.

I'm still getting a few matches in and digesting what the game's like. Anyone else had a chance to play it yet? Thoughts?

Green Onion

The 8 Hour Gamer
Validated User
Enjoying it a lot! The Ping system is brilliant, as are the loot/attachment mechanics. And the roster diversity is a home run.

Democritus

One Roll Monkey
Validated User
Gave it a shot on PC earlier tonight and lost two rounds - no, wait... three.

I think i like it and may give it some more time. I do miss the titans though. And the wallrunning...

manwhat

Thoroughly mediocre GM.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's pretty fun. Gonna be really hard to pull me away from playing as Pathfinder - the grappling hook is just great to use. Except when I get stuck under a wall with an overhang.

flashedarling

Validated User
I've been playing lifeline, since medkits aren't that common and healing your entire squad up to full after each fight is a pretty good power.

Given the focus on squad combat getting a competent group is key. Unfortunately I've not had very good luck with random squadmates. They rarely have mics and often go running off by themselves.

Overall an interesting enough game. I'm probably going to be playing more of it over the next week or so before I decide where it falls in the hierarchy of battle royales.

CaButler

Validated User
Gave it a try for one round. I like it. I also like that there's a secondary communication system for us that don't use mics (or turned it off entirely), so that's a plus. I also like the fact that you can choose your hero after others have chosen them, to help with team synergy.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I saw it, haven't tried it but I actually might. It didn't look as stressful as other games in the genre. Also I dig how diverse the cast of characters is.

Deflare

Validated User
My friends and I have been missing battle-royale games, and this feels like a straight upgrade from PUBG. I'm enjoying it so far. And yeah, the diversity is pretty great. Gibraltar's gameplay already leaned me toward him as a main; the fact that he's an awesome Maori guy just clinched it.

Democritus

One Roll Monkey
Validated User
I agree with liking the diversity, but I have to say most of the characters still feel a bit bland to me. I can't quite put my finger on it. They're all well made and well design but they just feel like I've seen them before?

Top Bottom