• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

💀 Necro Anyone Still Playing Silhouette?

Doctor Guilty

"Excuse Me While I Flee"
Validated User
Konnichi wa, campers.

I was looking through the Banzaidyne III files the other day, and I was reminded of just how long it’s been since I’ve really done anything with it. I reformatted the pages a few years ago to throw out the Threat Values and generally clean things up, but nothing since.

I’m curious how many folks stilll play Silhouette, partly to gauge how much interest there would be in new material. I have no problem leaving up what I’ve done so far, and I’m sure I’ll add a page here and there, but I’m curious if there are enough users to warrant more effort.

I will freshen the pictures, though.

Comments are welcome. Thanks very much.

Last edited:

DarkMoc

Validated User
I haven't used it directly for years, but as we've discussed, I do use it in converting to other systems.

asuma

Validated User
I ran a brief badlands freelance police game using Silhouette a few years ago but not since then. These days if I was going to run a Heavy Gear game I'd probably use Savage Worlds or your D6 work.

Last edited:

Doctor Guilty

"Excuse Me While I Flee"
Validated User
These days if I was going to run a Heavy Gear game I'd probably use Savage Worlds or your D6 work.
I will be putting together HGD6 documents using the Banzaidyne III files as a basis - ”Battlelogs: Tanks of the Information Age,” that sort of thing. Maybe I should just focus on that.

Last edited:

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would love to play Silhouette. It is a good system and hits a lot of the points I like.

Nobody in any of my local game troupes wanted to play any of the native settings with it. Nobody wanted to play any of the Gears or Jovian Chronicles (shame that). Tribes 8 just confused too many of them and they did not want to invest in a deep lore game. Core Command just did not hit anyone's specific notes.

I could do another setting, but nobody wanted to learn a new system (the bane of always) so we stuck with Convergence Point or Hero.

So here I am with my lovely Core Book... all dressed up, but nowhere to go.

Catharsis

Pinko that rides bicycles
Validated User
I would love to play Silhouette. It is a good system and hits a lot of the points I like.
Likewise, it’s still my favourite modern to sci-fi system - though I do house rule it. Maybe one day I’ll play Tribe 8 again, the Expanse with JC, or my Shadowrun conversion, but it’s more a matter of time and getting people to play something other than DnD.

For what it’s worth, I always thought Banzaidyne was a great resource and appreciated the write-ups and conversions. While I haven’t played it in even longer, D6 is also a great system.

Addendum: It was also sad the new Heavy Gear didn’t get completed, it seemed to spark some renewed interest and discussion over on the Arkrite? boards.

Last edited:

Ashigaru

Registered Yojimbo
Validated User
I'm not currently playing Heavy Gear, but the next time I do it will definitely be using Silhouette, probably using the Heavy Gear 2nd edition rules. Silhouette stats are more useful to me than stuff like the D6 adaptation, as D6 is a system I have no attachment to.

Addendum: It was also sad the new Heavy Gear didn’t get completed, it seemed to spark some renewed interest and discussion over on the Arkrite? boards.
Was there ever an announcement or something? I see there hasn't been any Arkrite blog posts for a couple years, but I'm not aware of any definitive news.

Doctor Guilty

"Excuse Me While I Flee"
Validated User
Was there ever an announcement or something? I see there hasn't been any Arkrite blog posts for a couple years, but I'm not aware of any definitive news.
Nothing official, no, it just fizzled out. I learned enough about it from other backers, about what they wanted to do and the background changes they wanted to make, to know I wouldn’t have bought it anyway.

Codename: Omega

Banned
I found that Silhouette is great for human-centric modern/scifi settings, but when they released the Core Book I was hoping for a truly generic system and didn't get that - there's no magic rules to speak of, and no rules for designing or handling monsters or non-humans/aliens. It's frustrating because what's there is a really good system, but it just didn't go far enough.

Heavy Josh

Car drives me!
Validated User
Alas, no. I do toy with the idea of running a short-to-medium length Heavy Gear campaign, but it doesn't grab me the way it used to. If I did, I'd use a heavily modified ruleset I compiled a few (like 7) years ago. Still, lots of good memories.

Did they ever actually finish the entire Heavy Gear timeline? I mean, even with Blitz? Do we know who is actually speaking on the front of the Storyline books?

Top Bottom