💀 Necro Anyone Still Playing Silhouette?

Albertorius

Validated User
I haven't played Silhouette in a while, tbh. I still like the system, but there are so many games and so little time, that... well, it's kinda stuck, now ^^. Arkrite going silent for years and their new edition of HG being vaporware certainly didn't help.

Cloud Divider

Validated User
For completeness sake, yeah, it'd be great to get a copy of the psionics rules, and re-digitize them. I remember trying to use at least one version of the psi rules to...mixed effect. Still, was a neat extra piece.

I thought I'd included them with my Silhouette Cyberpunk stuff (that's where I used it), but maybe not.

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
For some reason, I thought there were Psionics rules in Silhouette Core in the SFX section. I guess I'm conflating my readthrough of the book with Mekton Zeta and Cthulhutech.

Cloud Divider

Validated User
Oh, two amusing anecdotes related to the archive.

So it turns out keeping a big online gun catalog often gets you some interesting emails, even when it's fictional guns (or at least it did, back when the web was still relatively young). I'd been contacted by people looking to buy (or sell me) various weapons I had listed on the site. That was pretty funny. I seem to remember at least one email from an alleged Russian with access to some of the more exotic Russian handguns.

Second, one little piece of side infamy I have. I've got a listing in the database of the gun that Snake Plissken used in Escape from LA, and I wordsmithed the entirety of the description, and the name of the weapon (M16Z "Snake"). Apparently my completely made up nomenclature took on a bit of life of it's own in the greater Internet. I think there's even an entry on the Movie Firearms database (IMFDB) that mentions that they have no idea where the apocryphal M16Z designation came from that seems to be pernicious on the net. That would be my silly RPG arms directory. Go me, I guess? :p

Doctor Guilty

Action Cartographer!
Validated User
So it turns out keeping a big online gun catalog often gets you some interesting emails, even when it's fictional guns (or at least it did, back when the web was still relatively young). I'd been contacted by people looking to buy (or sell me) various weapons I had listed on the site. That was pretty funny. I seem to remember at least one email from an alleged Russian with access to some of the more exotic Russian handguns.
I wonder if this still happens. There’s a guy who maintains similar listings for Twilight: 2000 who says in great big letters, “THIS IS FOR A GAME, LEAVE ME ALONE.”
I considered posting conversions from 3G3 to Silhouette (basically the Heavy Gear pages for More Guns), but I never heard from the owner to get permission. Not posting anything may have been the best move.

Last edited:

Doctor Guilty

Action Cartographer!
Validated User
I found a hard copy of the Psionics rules. Is that something that's missing from the archives that it would be helpful for me to scan?
Please do. If I can’t find it on PDF directly, I’ll digitize that and post it on Banzaidyne with the other expansions and errata.

Last edited:

Heavy Josh

Car drives me!
Validated User
I wonder if this still happens. There’s a guy who maintains similar listings for Twilight: 2000 who says in great big letters, “THIS IS FOR A GAME, LEAVE ME ALONE.”
I considered posting conversions from 3G3 to Silhouette (basically the Heavy Gear pages for More Guns), but I never heard from the owner to get permission. Not posting anything may have been the best move.
Who wrote the Silhouette conversion rules in 3G3? Because I remember after your Equipment Catalogue came out with its higher than normal damage ratings for guns, thinking "what is going on here?" So I went back and did the conversion myself: it works perfectly, but whoever wrote them rounded up from like 2.7 to 3 (or was it 3.7 to 4) for a specific multiplier, and that skewed all the damage levels higher. Sigh.

Doctor Guilty

Action Cartographer!
Validated User
Who wrote the Silhouette conversion rules in 3G3?
That was former Heavy Gear line editor Marc Vezina himself, as I recall. I used the 3G3 rules for the Equipment Catalog at his request, though I tweaked the formula a little for my purposes. (And you changed the stock formula from 4 to 3.7, by the way.)

Cloud Divider

Validated User
Re: damage conversion for Silhouette.

I can't remember who posted it back in the day (edit: It was actually Doc Guilty), but someone on the HGML found a pretty simple equation that ended up mapping out game values to real world figures remarkably well (usually within a point or two of where they landed with respect to published Sil weapons). Doubling the cube root of the muzzle energy, maybe? There were a couple of tweaks needed for weapons that weren't kinetic (shotguns, HE weapons, etc).

I remember it being vastly easier to compute than the 3G3 model, and the data usually came out better. (edit: "Better" in terms of "good enough for my needs."
It turns out I did a lot of my conversion calculations on a notepad with a scientific calculator while waiting for class to start, rather than a laptop/PDA where I could automate the calculations; I could spend my lunchbreak in the library datamining Janes Ammunition worldbooks, Guns and Ammo or even that magazine whose name eludes me now that was largely about the "mercenary" or "private military subcontractor" market), pencil down a pile of numbers, and crunch them before my Mechanics of Materials course.
)

(In retrospect, it's kind of funny to look back at how I did things back then, and how technology's made things far more convenient; I did vastly more game design/prep stuff in pen/paper; essentially "doodling" Mekton builds in class because I'd mostly memorized the design process or had some tiny-font crib sheets)

I thought one of the subpages of my weapon catalog included the conversion notes (and hopefully a reference to the original author).

Oh. One more funny anecdote. All of my obsessive research of military hardware (tanks, guns, etc) via Janes Defence yearbooks and Janes Defence Weekly to convert it to Silhouette was a really strong player in what got me my first big job out of school...

Last edited:

DarkMoc

Validated User
Re: damage conversion for Silhouette.

I can't remember who posted it back in the day (edit: It was actually Doc Guilty), but someone on the HGML found a pretty simple equation that ended up mapping out game values to real world figures remarkably well (usually within a point or two of where they landed with respect to published Sil weapons). Doubling the cube root of the muzzle energy, maybe? There were a couple of tweaks needed for weapons that weren't kinetic (shotguns, HE weapons, etc).

I remember it being vastly easier to compute than the 3G3 model, and the data usually came out better. (edit: "Better" in terms of "good enough for my needs."
It turns out I did a lot of my conversion calculations on a notepad with a scientific calculator while waiting for class to start, rather than a laptop/PDA where I could automate the calculations; I could spend my lunchbreak in the library datamining Janes Ammunition worldbooks, Guns and Ammo or even that magazine whose name eludes me now that was largely about the "mercenary" or "private military subcontractor" market), pencil down a pile of numbers, and crunch them before my Mechanics of Materials course.
)
There was also the old Translating History - Firearms document that I can't find any more (but Paul Lippincott used to create the Signature Weapons enhancement, and then there was Tekrat's formula from here and his proposed change to the 3G3 formula here. Damage was always something that got a fair bit of discussion, since it had some unspoken assumptions about ammunition type and how armor penetration mapped onto tissue wounding.

Top Bottom