💀 Necro Anyone Still Playing Silhouette?

Heavy Josh

Car drives me!
Validated User
That was former Heavy Gear line editor Marc Vezina himself, as I recall. I used the 3G3 rules for the Equipment Catalog at his request, though I tweaked the formula a little for my purposes. (And you changed the stock formula from 4 to 3.7, by the way.)
Well, all I did was take the penetration formulas in 3G3 and did the algebra to derive the Silhouette conversion formula as per the 3G3 rules. I found that the number was 3.7, but it was rounded up to 4 in the book. So I just posted what I found on the DP9 boards. Honestly, I think it was rounded to 4 because the biggest criticism of the VCS was the mathiness of it--for determining TVs and costs, of course. Multiplying by 4 is easier than 3.7, sure.

Anyways, it was a hiccup that was easily corrected if you wanted to. In the end, at my table we decided to make the higher DM value 5mm and 7mm Paxton rounds analogues to the 5.56mm and 7.62mm NATO rounds. The 7mm rounds in the main rulebooks were 7.62mm Pact rounds, and that worked for us on many levels.

DarkMoc

Validated User
This thread has gotten me to start standardizing my Silhouette to Traveller conversion work, which will (slowly) make its way onto my blog. I've posted a semi-rough system for converting stats from Sil to Traveller, using all 10 base stats, and I'm working on a skills conversion and weapon damage conversion (by back-converting from DM to DV and then converting to T2K using More Guns!), though it may be a couple weeks before anything gets posted because of Travellercon/USA being this coming weekend.

As a bit of a teaser, a Mordred-class GREL is FCA665 before any physical or mental training from the skills conversion and a Jan-class is DBB889.

inire

Fearing the +5 shoe
Validated User
This thread has gotten me to start standardizing my Silhouette to Traveller conversion work, which will (slowly) make its way onto my blog. I've posted a semi-rough system for converting stats from Sil to Traveller, using all 10 base stats, and I'm working on a skills conversion and weapon damage conversion (by back-converting from DM to DV and then converting to T2K using More Guns!), though it may be a couple weeks before anything gets posted because of Travellercon/USA being this coming weekend.

As a bit of a teaser, a Mordred-class GREL is FCA665 before any physical or mental training from the skills conversion and a Jan-class is DBB889.
(Necroboost) that's pretty awesome!

loconius

Validated User
I totally forgot about this thread, a traveller Heavy Gear would be damn awesome

DarkMoc

Validated User
I totally forgot about this thread, a traveller Heavy Gear would be damn awesome
After posting the skills, I totally forgot about it too, since I got back into working on the Spanish Civil War vehicles. The personal weapons conversion is mostly done, and I should be able to do a walkthrough of converting a couple character templates, taking them from HG to MT and then on to TNE. I'll plan to do one from the core book (probably the Private Investigator since it has the most skills) and one GREL sub-type (likelya Mordred A-Type to show how extreme their stats can be).

Eudaimic

Gray Fur
Validated User
If it’s of interest to anyone I made a dice probability table thing for Silhouette years ago, as well as an automated Silhoutte character sheet.

I fell deeply in love with Sil for a while, and Heavy Gear as well (not so much the other settings, although I always enjoyed reading JC). But ultimately some minor I ran into some issues I could never quite come to terms with (like hand to hand combat). Still love the elegance of it though. Flawed as it was.

Heavy Josh

Car drives me!
Validated User
I forgot to mention that over the winter break I ran a HG one off adventure for a group that had never played it before. The idea was that they were Khayr-ad Din Army recruits in a "recon squad" (basically the ad hoc PC formation that we know and love) and had to run a couple of patrols in the desert during the initial stages of the Interpolar War and White War. The two main encounters were dealing diplomatically with a MILICIA detachment that occupied a nearby homestead town, and intercepting a GREL assault force in the middle of a tempest. They managed the former by acting honourably and duelling. The latter...was Saving Private Ryan's final battle scene, but with the aforementioned MILICIA unit arriving in the nick of time to save the day because of the players' honourable behaviour earlier. One PC was KIA, and two more were forced to leave their wrecked gears and face Mordreds on foot... Heh.

In terms of the system, I used a modified version of HG2e: 8 attributes (split Agility into Agility and Reflexes, and changed a few others) consolidated the skill list, and probably a couple of little tweaks here and there. It was far more lethal than I had remembered. First time I ran a Silhouette game in 6 years. Fun times!

Galadrin

Validated User
If it’s of interest to anyone I made a dice probability table thing for Silhouette years ago, as well as an automated Silhoutte character sheet.

I fell deeply in love with Sil for a while, and Heavy Gear as well (not so much the other settings, although I always enjoyed reading JC). But ultimately some minor I ran into some issues I could never quite come to terms with (like hand to hand combat). Still love the elegance of it though. Flawed as it was.
What did you find wrong with close combat, out of curiosity?

Galadrin

Validated User
I forgot to mention that over the winter break I ran a HG one off adventure for a group that had never played it before. The idea was that they were Khayr-ad Din Army recruits in a "recon squad" (basically the ad hoc PC formation that we know and love) and had to run a couple of patrols in the desert during the initial stages of the Interpolar War and White War. The two main encounters were dealing diplomatically with a MILICIA detachment that occupied a nearby homestead town, and intercepting a GREL assault force in the middle of a tempest. They managed the former by acting honourably and duelling. The latter...was Saving Private Ryan's final battle scene, but with the aforementioned MILICIA unit arriving in the nick of time to save the day because of the players' honourable behaviour earlier. One PC was KIA, and two more were forced to leave their wrecked gears and face Mordreds on foot... Heh.

In terms of the system, I used a modified version of HG2e: 8 attributes (split Agility into Agility and Reflexes, and changed a few others) consolidated the skill list, and probably a couple of little tweaks here and there. It was far more lethal than I had remembered. First time I ran a Silhouette game in 6 years. Fun times!
Perfectly in the spirit of the rules. In fact, SilCore (the last edition) gives lots of rules for tweaking the game, including changing the attributes (they provide examples for using 10, 6, 5 or even just 3 attributes). I once ran a one-shot in a home-brewed sci-fi setting that required only mental characteristics... Knowledge, Psyche, Perception, Creativity and Influence. The players were on a deep space science mission that turned into horror and it made for a very different game than what you might get with another system. A lot of fun!

Heavy Josh

Car drives me!
Validated User
Perfectly in the spirit of the rules. In fact, SilCore (the last edition) gives lots of rules for tweaking the game, including changing the attributes (they provide examples for using 10, 6, 5 or even just 3 attributes). I once ran a one-shot in a home-brewed sci-fi setting that required only mental characteristics... Knowledge, Psyche, Perception, Creativity and Influence. The players were on a deep space science mission that turned into horror and it made for a very different game than what you might get with another system. A lot of fun!
That sounds amazing!

I have a collection of tweaks for Silhouette. Most of them involve making Agility not the god-stat. I know this is well-trod ground. I was shocked to feel that the skill list is far too bloated. Getting rid of Complex and Simple skills is sound. And something about Combat Sense still works, but something about it doesn't.

What struck me, after 6 years of living off of Terranova, was just how Silhouette doesn't seem to be built with long term campaign play in mind. I was thinking about splitting Emergency Dice from Experience Points. The former do everything the latter can do, except advance skills and attributes. Maybe I'm off base here, but this seems like making that distinction would encourage ED expenditure as intended, without the understandable accompanied player grumbling...

Top Bottom