• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Anyone use a large e-ink reader for RPG books?

celebrityomnipath

Murmaid Murderer
Validated User
The BOOX Max2 is $800 and the Sony DPT-RP1 is $700.
I've heard of a new e-ink tablet called Remarkable which is supposed to be a lot better in this aspect, but it's also expensive and I can't justify the cost when my ipad does a good job at displaying PDFs. Now if I win the lottery...
The ReMarkable is 600 bucks, but the software is supposed to be shit, also terrible stats; 1GHz, half a gig RAM, it also ONLY handles .pdfs.

So one of them, in a year or so, when it's 300 bucks and the software is updated?

Last edited:

celebrityomnipath

Murmaid Murderer
Validated User
It really depends on the PDF in question. GURPS PDFs, for example, render very quickly.

But anything with background graphics - especially multiple layers of the same - will be a different matter.
Nice PDF Compressor can flattern/smallerise them pretty well, and is free, but I think doesn't work on locked .pdfs.

FenrisWolf

Validated User
I own a Sony Digital Paper. It's pretty solid for PDFs with a less busy layout.
It seems the general consensus is that the e-ink readers are unable to handle gaming PDFs. What has been your experience? Are you using it view particular PDFs (i.e. smaller/not as image heavy)?

Machpants

ExF3Nav
Validated User
It seems the general consensus is that the e-ink readers are unable to handle gaming PDFs. What has been your experience? Are you using it view particular PDFs (i.e. smaller/not as image heavy)?
That'd be interesting to know, it's more expensive than an iPad pro and does a lot less, but I'd like to see how it handles something like Frog God Games The Blight, 900 pages but black and white

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have an iPad Mini for PDF reading and I don't have to zoom in. The crispness of the text is excellent and means I rarely feel the need (if ever? I can't remember the last time I zoomed a PDF on it). A full iPad would be luxurious as far as I'm concerned, and a Pro would be bonkers lovely to read PDFs on.

One thing I would recommend is finding a freely-distributable PDF and making sure you can load it from the browser, then go to an Apple store armed with the URL noted down. Go find an iPad you're considering at their toy bar and load up the PDF in Safari. Then check it out on the other iPad sizes. Get the one that displays the test PDF to your satisfaction.

Basically, buy the most screen you can justify to your budget, but don't feel the need to go bigger. :)

Oh, one big piece of advice. No matter what device you get from whomever, size your PDF collection first. Get the largest storage version you can afford, maybe twice what your PDF collection is. I went with a 128 GB version and it's way, way too small for my collection. I'm constantly having to rearrange which PDFs are on the iPad in order to stop running out of space, and it's only about a quarter of my files.
I have an elderly iPad mini (smaller than A5 screen) and use the iBooks free built-in reader. I keep all my rpg pdfs on Google Drive and download anything I am currently interested in. I have 32 Gb and have never deleted anything. All of my pdfs together are less than 1 Gb.

SuperFigs

Firefighter
Validated User
I'll give you a short list of the PDFs I have on it that it handles well:

BASH UE
In Nomine
Fate Core
Traveller (Mongoose)
D&D Rules Cyclopedia
Majus
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Zweihander (lo-res version)

Here's a short list of PDFs it could not handle well:

Ashen Stars
Feng Shui 2
Nights BLack Agents
Vampire 20th Anniversary

Issues were with page cycling--the 2 - 3 second delay is unacceptable for in game use. The PDFs it handles well enjoy almost instantaneous page flipping.

I bought it in 2015 and it has served me well. It's great for copy-editing my own PDFs and sharing corrections for layout artists I am working with. The stylus it comes with lets you right and erase at will.

FenrisWolf

Validated User
I'll give you a short list of the PDFs I have on it that it handles well:

BASH UE
In Nomine
Fate Core
Traveller (Mongoose)
D&D Rules Cyclopedia
Majus
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Zweihander (lo-res version)

Here's a short list of PDFs it could not handle well:

Ashen Stars
Feng Shui 2
Nights BLack Agents
Vampire 20th Anniversary

Issues were with page cycling--the 2 - 3 second delay is unacceptable for in game use. The PDFs it handles well enjoy almost instantaneous page flipping.

I bought it in 2015 and it has served me well. It's great for copy-editing my own PDFs and sharing corrections for layout artists I am working with. The stylus it comes with lets you right and erase at will.
I can see where the device would serve me well for my collection of old D&D books and OSR stuff but I fear that newer and heavier books like Shadowrun would be an issue. I wish I could find one locally to test out but no such luck. Thanks again for the additional information. That was helpful.

Grantanz

Validated User
I have the 12.9 iPad Pro. I whiffled and hemmed and hawed over 12.9 vs 10.5, but went for 12.9 in the end and do not regret it. I have enjoyed the extra screen real estate for RPG pdfs. A previous iPad iteration was a bit choppy for some of my heavy-graphics pdfs, but the Pro flies through them all. It did feel a bit heavier in the hand than the smaller model at first, but I have grown accustomed to it (the difference is about 200g).

I have used it for reading one-handed, but I have fairly big hands :) My wife didn't find it so comfortable, so your mileage may well vary.

The True Tone display on the iPad that alters the white balance of the screen depending on the ambient light also makes a positive difference in readability.

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've just got the iPad 10.5" 512 GB as my 3rd iPad iteration. Using GoodReader it's excellent for all my gaming PDFs, etc.
I also have eBooks on iBook and Kono.
I don't suffer from eyestrain looking at back lit displays however.

Top Bottom