• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Anyone use a large e-ink reader for RPG books?

BigJackBrass

Two Separate Gorillas
Validated User
I wouldn't want to go much smaller than 10.1" to read 8.5 x 11 PDFs.
It does depend on the layout of the book. A great many RPG books are clearly designed with the 8.5" x 11" format in mind, dominant after AD&D, and in that sort of space multiple columns, sidebars and interspersed illustrations work well: transfer that too a small screen and it looks awfully cramped, but it also means that text reflow options might struggle. In those cases the 10"+ displays are clear winners.

Books with a layout better suited to a smaller page or actually designed with ereaders/tablets in mind (becoming slowly more common) naturally work pretty well on 8" or even 7" screens. There is unfortunately still a dominant trend in rulebooks that they need to look spectacular on the page, and that makes for a poor electronic experience unless the publisher has properly taken PDF viewing into account and not simply considered it to be the book on a screen instead of on paper.

General_Tangent

Roof Dweller
Validated User
Seeing the e-ink screens makes me yearn for the older days of gaming books that with a B&W and a cleaner layout. While full colour can look stunning in a book the same ebook doesn't always display as well with darkened colours obscuring text.

I was really tempted by some of the e-book readers on this list but in the end I purchased a Yogabook so I could have a big tablet when I needed to refer to books and use the laptop mode to type notes up when away from home.

pstjmack

Validated User
I use an Acer Chromebook Tab 10 as my PDF reader of choice. It's not going to be everyone's favourite - Chrome OS, relatively high price, etc. - but it does have a fantastic screen. It also has access to the Google Play Store, which allows you to get a huge choice of ebook readers, PDF readers, dice rolling apps, etc, etc. Plus, it has a display compatible with the Samsung S Pen, as well as its own highly accurate stylus, which helps do lightning sketches of maps, building layouts, etc, on the fly and annotate pictures easily.

I'd also recommend the Microsoft Surface Go - full-on laptop, yes, but it can double as a tablet easily enough, and has most of the same advantages as the Tab 10.

Hugzain

There's a third-party e-reader software called KOReader that works really well for PDFs. I got a Kobo Aura ONE a couple years ago. It has a bigger screen than a Paperwhite. The default software doesn't handle PDFs all that great, especially for graphics-heavy books like RPGs. But if you can install KOReader, it works like a charm. Installing it on the Kobo was pretty easy. I don't know how easy it is to put on the Kindle, but it's supposed to be possible. It installs alongside the built-in software so you can switch back and forth as needed. I recommend it.

Arkat

Skål Kosmonauter
Validated User
I use a reMarkable. It is only suited for reading game books, and not for use at the table. On the other hand I haven't used a paper character sheet in ages since I just upload the pdfs and write directly on them on the remarkable.

I knew what the reMarkable was when I bougt one (digital scetch pad) and is very happy with it.

Top Bottom