OOC Apocalypse World: The Past Is Never Gone

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Sorry to hear that and take the time you need for that.

Yeah a hippie bus is fine for a vehicle. Generally speaking on vehicles as long as you aren't thinking of getting like a literal tank or something like that it is probably fine. It is just going to open up an avenue of entangling questions about related things that wouldn't for those playbooks that already have that built in.

The Lore Bear

T(ime) L B(omb)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sorry to hear, take your time, it's just elfgames. :)

Doing a quick look-through, and shooting ideas off the top of my head for Justice, depending on how we want to split these out:

-Friends with Desire
-Jay feels she's doomed to self-destruction
-Aspen as seen into her soul

Nobby

Story spinner
Validated User
Move change:

I'd like to drop Hypnosis for Breathtaking as moves.

Character proposal:

Desire doesn't know his/her own gender. Some years ago Desire made a bargain with the maelstrom and had a long list of costs placed on them.

Everyone else sees Desire physically as an object of their own desires. Someone who likes women would see a woman and someone who likes men would see a man.

Desire only sees a blur in mirrors and cannot see their own image.

The only characteristics that are common for everyone (except Desire) are the listed attributes and his/her dark black skin.

Male/female pronouns are both acceptable based on the preference of the viewer.

I know this might not for with the MC plan so I won't object to a veto.

Talking with people:

Jay, the Angel
Hx questions:
Which one of you do I figure is doomed to self-destruction?
Which one of you put a hand in when it mattered, and helped me save a life?
Which one of you has been beside me all along, and has seen everything I’ve seen?
Also tempted to go with Jay being in love with Desire but not a lover. And probably not the only one in that position.
I think that would be cool. It also might be fun if Jay thought Desire is doomed to self-destruction. Your call but think of the drama :)

Hx
On your turn, ask 1, 2, or all 3:
• Which one of you once helped me do
something terrible?
For that character, write Hx+3.
• Which one of you was once kind and
unafraid toward me?
For that character, write Hx+2.
• Which one of you do I think is pretty?
For that character, write Hx+1.
I feel like Playboy and Desire probably run missions for Aspen together sometimes (even if I doubt they get along). That sets up a time for these two to do something terrible (and never tell Aspen about it).

I can imagine Playboy thinking someone on the road was a threat (or being egged on by her mask) and murdering some civilians. After the onslaught Desire might walk over and slit the throats of wounded survivors (children?) before hurrying back to the motorcycle/hippy van to move along.

Just my thoughts.

Hx:
• For the characters you can trust, write Hx-1.
• For the characters you can’t trust, write Hx+3.
You could trust Desire. Desire tries to appear trustworthy. Desire will leave you to die for very little reason but you could choose to trust Desire.

As to vehicles, I could use a hippie bus o_O

-------------------------------

Hx questions, so they're out there...
- Which of you are my followers? (I assume at least Playboy is in this one)
- One of you, I’ve seen your soul. Which one?

Aspen could fill any of these potentially. Have an inkling?
Yes! I want Desire to borrow that hippy bus like a teenager who is more than a little ashamed of her parents' car but borrows it all the time anyway.

Desire could be considered a follower of Aspen, they are at least allied. Desire is looking for relics of the past, books of knowledge and art of the apocalypse. Desire would be happy to provide objects and scriptures from their collection in exchange for a safe place to store the treasures. Desire wouldn't actually believe any of it but they would be willing to act as if they do. Desire would also be honest with Aspen because he is a good friend. Desire definitely thinks of Aspen as a friend.

If you're okay with it and it wouldn't bend the rules could Aspen take both friend and "in love"? I see Aspen and Desire going back before either one chose their occupation. Desire thinks of Aspen as the only person who doesn't just see him/her as a piece of meat. Desire might know on some level that Aspen wants more but Desire refuses to accept it.

-Friends with Desire
Yay! Desire can has friends!

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
I feel like Playboy and Desire probably run missions for Aspen together sometimes (even if I doubt they get along). That sets up a time for these two to do something terrible (and never tell Aspen about it).

I can imagine Playboy thinking someone on the road was a threat (or being egged on by her mask) and murdering some civilians. After the onslaught Desire might walk over and slit the throats of wounded survivors (children?) before hurrying back to the motorcycle/hippy van to move along.

Just my thoughts.
I like it!
And Playboy can be in love with Desire but she doesn’t talk about her feelings much at all. But the shared complicity makes Desire very relatable.

Dirty Chai

Flamen Solis et Lunae
Validated User
I'm not sure Jay would be a follower of Aspen, but I could certainly see them working together well, especially given Jay has a drugs lab. Having Aspen help save the life of one of his followers would make sense.
Yas, the lotus must flow.

Yes! I want Desire to borrow that hippy bus like a teenager who is more than a little ashamed of her parents' car but borrows it all the time anyway.

Desire could be considered a follower of Aspen, they are at least allied. Desire is looking for relics of the past, books of knowledge and art of the apocalypse. Desire would be happy to provide objects and scriptures from their collection in exchange for a safe place to store the treasures. Desire wouldn't actually believe any of it but they would be willing to act as if they do. Desire would also be honest with Aspen because he is a good friend. Desire definitely thinks of Aspen as a friend.

If you're okay with it and it wouldn't bend the rules could Aspen take both friend and "in love"? I see Aspen and Desire going back before either one chose their occupation. Desire thinks of Aspen as the only person who doesn't just see him/her as a piece of meat. Desire might know on some level that Aspen wants more but Desire refuses to accept it.
Aspen has put himself above normal men and taken a path beyond love and personal wishes, so it seems to mesh well.
-Aspen as seen into her soul
Is it a soul full of dreams of little crawling spiders and brambles, catching and choking and compelling to action? The darkness resides beneath and threatens the light, and the light must win?

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Dora the Red

Hx:
Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me?
Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me?
Which one of you is prettiest and/or smartest?
Ok, as the two toughest characters, Playboy and Dora should know each other. My rudimentary backstory is that Playboy was the champion and executioner for some kind of warlord until fairly recently when she met Aspen.
So given that, she could have fought alongside Dora, or left her bleeding after a battle where they were in different sides. What do you think?

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Aspen, the Hocus

Man, formal vestments, ascetic face, mesmerizing eyes, graceful body

Spoiler: Show

Cool-1 | Hard+1 | Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2

Wrapped in robes and layers under and over shoulders like the wheel-breakers of old
4-barter in oddments

Fortunes: fortune, surplus and want all depend on your followers. At the beginning of the session, roll+fortune. On a 10+, your followers have surplus. On a 7–9, they have surplus, but choose 1 want. On a miss, they are in want. If their surplus lists barter, that’s your personal share.
Charismatic: when you try to manipulate someone, roll+weird instead of roll+hot.
Seeing souls: when you help or interfere with someone, roll+weird instead of roll+Hx.

~ the Circle ~
"That which is yours is mine and that which is mine is yours, for I am you and what I see is me."
10 members; fortune+1; surplus: 1-barter, party, stupor; want: hunger
- Your followers are dedicated to you (Surplus: +1barter, and replace want: desertion with want: hunger)
- Your followers are joyous and celebratory (Surplus: +party)
- You have few followers, 10 or fewer (Surplus: -1barter)
- Your followers are drug-fixated. (Surplus: +stupor)

----------------------------------------------------

Hx questions, so they're out there...
- Which of you are my followers? (I assume at least Playboy is in this one)
- One of you, I’ve seen your soul. Which one?
Yeah, Playboy is a follower. I was thinking, maybe she came upon the bus by the side of the road, stopped to have a little fun, and started talking to Aspen. She was intrigued by his lack of fear, then she was transfixed.

It might be more interesting if it’s still early days for her new role in life and they’re still figuring things out.

Edit: kind of a Saul-to-Paul dynamic, if Saul of Tarsus had been a bloodthirsty maniac with an axe.

Last edited:

The Lore Bear

T(ime) L B(omb)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is it a soul full of dreams of little crawling spiders and brambles, catching and choking and compelling to action? The darkness resides beneath and threatens the light, and the light must win?
The dream is simpler: A lioness in a makeshift jungle, the green mixed with red and orange of fire. The constant forward motion, keeping the darkness at bay but never leaving it behind. Whether the darkness is following or chasing isn't clear. The view in front changes between prey and other predators, the dead getting burned up instantly. The dream ends with the lioness standing alone, unsure, before starting again.

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
From Red Dora the Gunlugger...

To Desire the Skinner:
Not a lover, not full of desire for Desire. Maybe a friend? Probably nothing.

To Playboy the Faceless:
Though Dora has no real heat in her heart, i think that she may have compassion and be unafraid in the face of the Faceless.

To Justice the Battlebabe:
Dora does not desire Justice but has made it clear that she will fight with Justice as long as the battlebabe is aligned with the group.

To Jay the Angel:
I like the idea of backstory, and that Jay left Dora bleeding because there was too much else going on at the time. Maybe Dora has been with Jay since the beginning, and seen everything that she has seen?

To Aspen the Hocus:
Whose soul has Aspen not seen? However, Dora is not a follower, though she has no ill-will towards them. Drugs and parties do not make the world better, just help people ignore the horror.

Last edited:

Dirty Chai

Flamen Solis et Lunae
Validated User
Further thinking: I'm envisioning Aspen as a bit ... ancient, maybe. He's very far from frail, but his hair is a damp silver and he's got facial hair like Merlin hanging down his front. He's not too wrinkled, but he's probably the oldest player character?

Spoiler: Show

I've got ideas about his past before he came down from the Mountain, but out of all player characters (so far), only Desire would know that past. So I'm not sure if I should just spill the beans now, or withhold it, or wait to see if the MC prompts me.

Yeah, Playboy is a follower. I was thinking, maybe she came upon the bus by the side of the road, stopped to have a little fun, and started talking to Aspen. She was intrigued by his lack of fear, then she was transfixed.

It might be more interesting if it’s still early days for her new role in life and they’re still figuring things out.

Edit: kind of a Saul-to-Paul dynamic, if Saul of Tarsus had been a bloodthirsty maniac with an axe.
Sounds good to me.

The dream is simpler: A lioness in a makeshift jungle, the green mixed with red and orange of fire. The constant forward motion, keeping the darkness at bay but never leaving it behind. Whether the darkness is following or chasing isn't clear. The view in front changes between prey and other predators, the dead getting burned up instantly. The dream ends with the lioness standing alone, unsure, before starting again.
I like it. Dreams are the language of the soul when it speaks to the body. Do we know how exactly Aspen has seen Justice's soul? From afar, or perhaps they've met?

From Red Dora the Gunlugger...
To Aspen the Hocus:
Whose soul has Aspen not seen? However, Dora is not a follower, though she has no ill-will towards them. Drugs and parties do not make the world better, just help people ignore the horror.
He has not seen most souls, in fact. But he would tell you that there's no difference between his soul and yours. The sooner those walls are torn down, the better, but in your own time.

Top Bottom