OOC Apocalypse World: The Past Is Never Gone

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
As far as the Source goes, Jay is pretty pragmatic, but recognises the benefits of community and shared ritual, and that the Source and its laws strengthen the community. She's in an interesting position between the Source and Circle, where she relies on the Source for supplies and the Circle relies on her for drugs.

The Lore Bear

T L B
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd imagine Justice cares about the source, but mostly because it's the reason she can stay in one place. Extremely pragmatic. She's not detached from the community, but she's also not originally from the area.

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
So currently I've got Dora for being with Jay since the beginning, and Aspen for lending a hand to save a life.

Still juggling options for who's doomed to self-destruction.

TemerousNox

Validated User
In terms of the gods, for a point of understanding of what you've said as opposed to a leading question, we're talking the sort of polyuse shrine where people may have over time (and even continue to) bring in symbols and idols representing their gods type thing? Not like the source was found and had preexisting symbols that people are projecting their deities onto, right?
No, I think it's very much the latter case. I've always read the Source as having an awareness of its own in the playbook, as it's made clear that the Waterbearer did not make the rules, she enforces them.

So currently I've got Dora for being with Jay since the beginning, and Aspen for lending a hand to save a life.

Still juggling options for who's doomed to self-destruction.
What if it's Ehrenschild? She was called by the Source, but with a Weird of -1 her connection to it isn't very strong. So she's got a connection to a power far greater than itself, and it definitely has opinion of its own, but due to a lack of a strong connection, Ehrenschild herself is uncertain that she is properly interpreting what she experiences. But she has to project strength and confidence in order to keep the community together (at least, that's how she sees it), but a string of signs that the Source is not please with her could cause everything she worked for to fall apart. I could totally see that Jay might have insight into that, as an Angel.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Ah OK, so I will be asking about what sort of idols and symbols are in place and what people are projecting on them as opposed to what has been left in the Source. Cool. Almost done with meetings and ready for lunch, so I'll eat and read / make-notes, and post some questions. I'll also summarize the Hx questions that seem to be answered so that we have a reference point.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
I'm going to start with the pairs of Hx that seem settled for now and then the more settled non-reciprocated ones and then finally the hazier ones. This is mostly for me to sort out the questions I want to ask, the final iteration you folks should post with the values it is providing to Hx (i.e. the actual answers).

Jay got picked up by the Division, which Dora was a member of, after her family died. This means that Dora has seen everything Jay has and during that stretch, Jay left Dora bleeding.

Dora was unafraid toward Playboy, and Playboy has fought aside Dora.

Desire and Playboy are followers of Aspen, none of the others are. Aspen is friends with / loves (but is not a lover of) Desire. As followers of Aspen, Desire and Playboy did something terrible together. Playboy is a friend of Desire's. Justice is also a friend of Desire's.

Jay loves, but is not a lover of, Desire; however Jay may think Desire is destined to self destruction.

Aspen has seen into Justice's soul.

As for Ehrenschild, it may be that Aspen also serves the Source, but that's not fully set it doesn't look like. It isn't set yet who gave her water, physical or metaphorical, in the wilderness yet.

Based on this, and stuff I didn't want to cram in there because it wasn't directly Hx related, it looks like we've got the Source as a primary local social axis. Aspen's group of dependent partiers is either trying to integrate with them or has emerged as a particular offshoot of the local community. There is, in character history distance, both a warlord that Playboy used to serve before joining with Aspen and the Division, a warlike group that took in at least one kid. There are some clear areas to press on, but before getting to them, some more concrete landscape type things, so we can all start situating ourselves in the same mental space. I'm not looking to be able to map things necessarily from the answers, but to get us all on the same page of scope and what the current community has around it and would be aware of because of that proximity.

For Ehrenschild, how remote is the Source from the community that looks to it? Remoteness can be from raw distance, difficult terrain, or anything else that determines how long it takes to go from regular life in the community to where the laws of the Source hold.

For Desire, you made a deal with the Maelstrom—where? What physical marker remains in the place or perhaps was there before you made the deal?

For Aspen, tell me about where you retreated to or went for the epiphany. Physically where was it relative to the current community, how remote is it from them, from whatever is around it?

For Playboy, what territory did the one you served as executioner for claim? What territory did they covet?

For Justice, you aren't from around here, so where are you from most recently? What is the way like between there and the current community?

For Dora the Red, what's the furthest from the current community you've been with the Division? What far place have you been that those in the community have heard of?

For Jay, how crowded or sprawling is the current community? How does it stack up to the life before your family died?

Dirty Chai

Flamen Solis et Lunae
Validated User
As for Ehrenschild, it may be that Aspen also serves the Source, but that's not fully set it doesn't look like. It isn't set yet who gave her water, physical or metaphorical, in the wilderness yet.
Up to Ehrenschild, but it sounds like she does not consider Aspen to serve the Source.

For Aspen, tell me about where you retreated to or went for the epiphany. Physically where was it relative to the current community, how remote is it from them, from whatever is around it?
The Mountain lies to the south, among a vast range of volcanic peaks people call a variety of names like the White Mountains or the Devil Peaks. It holds a glacier, possibly one of the last in the region, which Aspen named "Ararat." Four rivers flow out from its corners, and at its hip grows an ancient ponderosa forest. It is in the shrub-lands below where Aspen discovered the psychoactive alkaloids present in a species of flowering shrubs - extracted, he calls the chemical the "diviner's lotus." Across salt flats and wildfire-ravaged savannas to the north, one reaches the place of the Source(?).

It is in the glass valley of obsidian surrounding the glacial Ararat where Aspen received revelation, a growth of the mind and shattering of barriers so excruciating he claims he would have died if not for proper preparation and the complete erosion of ego. He then lived in this inhospitable place for three years, visited by a serpent in his waking moments and by myriads of spirits in his dreams, composing both the "astral" and the "infernal tongues."

Last edited:

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
As a weird thought, maybe Dora gave Ehrenschild water in the wilderness?

That is, Ehrenschild went to visit a homestead on the outskirts of her authority and was ambushed by raiders. Things looked bad for the water bearer and her guards after she was shot and bleeding out.

Dora + Jay come along with (maybe?) the remnants of a Division band (Crow Squad?), and Dora (blood type O negative, tattooed on her upper arm underneath the Division symbol) was hooked up to donate blood to Ehrenschild while Jay patched up her holes?

Maybe Ehrenschild felt that she had a stronger connection to the Source before that day (true or no)?

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
For Jay, how crowded or sprawling is the current community? How does it stack up to the life before your family died?
Jay was part of a tight-knit commune of maybe a dozen families, where everybody knew everybody and there wasn't much in the way of privacy. Her new home feels like a fuckton of people by comparison, but spread out enough that there are people you only vaguely recognise, or only see at rituals.

The commune had a library of rescued and salvaged books, enough to fill a whole bookshelf, their best attempt to preserve the knowledge of the past. A good chunk of Jay's childhood was spent memorising a battered book of anatomy and an ancient medical dictionary, her assigned texts to carry into the future, and she learned to read from a copy of Peter And Wendy that was the only children's book they had. Even her name, Jay Em, was taken from that book.

It's all ash now, of course.

TemerousNox

Validated User
As a weird thought, maybe Dora gave Ehrenschild water in the wilderness?

That is, Ehrenschild went to visit a homestead on the outskirts of her authority and was ambushed by raiders. Things looked bad for the water bearer and her guards after she was shot and bleeding out.

Dora + Jay come along with (maybe?) the remnants of a Division band (Crow Squad?), and Dora (blood type O negative, tattooed on her upper arm underneath the Division symbol) was hooked up to donate blood to Ehrenschild while Jay patched up her holes?

Maybe Ehrenschild felt that she had a stronger connection to the Source before that day (true or no)?
I like this! Let's roll with it.

Top Bottom