• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Are there any adventures with impossible maps ala Escher?

gribble

Validated User
While it's not exactly impossible/Escher-like, I always really liked Monte Cook's Labyrinth of Madness
It's a dungeon where the "rooms" are actually:
Spoiler: Show
the insides of moving cubes, all stacked together

Makes for quite a challenge to navigate, and I'm sure it feels very "impossible" from the player's perspective.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Module I5, The Lost Tomb of Martek, had an area called the Mobius Tower, a tower from a royal palace that had been frozen in time. It was only mildly impossible, but the central staircase was infinite -- if you went up from the top floor, you came up onto the bottom floor, and vice-versa.

Knight of Ravens

Validated User
One of the first issues of Dungeon I picked up, #64 I believe, contains the adventure Bzallin's Blacksphere by Chris Perkins, which features a "flat" one-level dungeon that's actually warped into the shape of a cube.

Calypso

Bunny With a Glock
Validated User
Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but Dungeon of the Mad Mage has "expansion tunnels" on each level to support the DM adding additional content off the main dungeon. What I did for one level was tie those together Pac-Man style, so if you leave the map to the south, you end up re-entering the main dungeon from the north and vice versa. Same for east-west. The players were (and still are) very confused by that level.

Hammel

Validated User
Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but Dungeon of the Mad Mage has "expansion tunnels" on each level to support the DM adding additional content off the main dungeon. What I did for one level was tie those together Pac-Man style, so if you leave the map to the south, you end up re-entering the main dungeon from the north and vice versa. Same for east-west. The players were (and still are) very confused by that level.
Now I'm curious. Are they mapping the dungeon on their own, hence their confusion?

Top Bottom