• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Are you loyal to humanity?

Lukas Sjöström

Society of Unity scholar
Validated User
The Dragon Prince got me thinking: do you in general find that you tend to sympathise with humanity in stories where it's pitched against other beings? Is it a selling point for you if humans are portrayed as being more sympathetic than other creatures? I'm finding myself comparing some stuff to Moorcock's Erekosë stories, where
Spoiler: Show
the main character gets summoned to be the legendary champion of humanity against the elf-like Eldren, but in the end decides that it's better to betray humanity and join forces with the Eldren.

How would similar plot points sit with you?

Rainfall

Validated User
Given that most of the time "elves" and the like tend to be humans with pointy ears or some magical abilities anyway... ;)

I'm a humanist, but that doesn't mean I'm particularly loyal to humanity. It really depends on what flavor of humanity I get. Humans in Avatar are shown in their more destructive light, as nature-destroying industrial colonialists. Those I tend to side against.

But in Gurren-Lagann, a work of fiction is all about human spirit and inventiveness triumphing against a force of Stasis ruling the literal universe? HELL YEAH, GO US!

Michael K

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Nope. I have no allegiance to any species, and certainly no loyalty to humanity.

Morty

Validated User
I'm generally biased towards "unpowered" folk. Those without magic, or less of it. Their viewpoints tend to be ignored or painted in negative light quite often. Sometimes that means humans, sometimes not.

Chaotic Leppy Tracy

Validated User
I don’t like humans, but I also don’t particularly like the alternatives presented. Typically, the lifeforms that appear as alternatives earn my distaste to the same extent humans do. I like to think that I am on the side of progress and the world at large?

I definitely would side with the Incubators over magical girls, and I would probably support Mavericks over everyone else early on, before it’s revealed to be a virus- I try to go towards the most potential, I feel?

Maybe the only time I’ve cared enough in a conflict where humans are supposed to be in the wrong against some sort of ~superior~ life form was with the Super-Happies, but also I admit to not consuming all that much media. I guess if you count the distant past in Undertale that counts?

Star vs. the Forces of Evil spoilers below
Spoiler: Show

And if mewmans count as humans for story purposes (as opposed to merely being so biologically- mewmans have spent several hundred years in isolation from most of humanity, having lost all knowledge of their history pre-Mewni, and have lived under such high amounts of magical radiation that they’ve essentially become a subspecies) then I guess there’s that too, but I don’t consider them as such, and I don’t think they really consider themselves human, either

I’ve only seen season 1 of The Dragon Prince so far, but the whole “complete displacement of humanity” has not endeared me to them.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
I mean I think being human is generally a good thing for human beings to aspire to, but it's not like I'm automatically ride-or-die for the species in every Cowboys and Indians IN SPAAAAACE scenario.

How would similar plot points sit with you?
They usually come across as kind of weak, to be perfectly honest. Like, I already know racism is wrong, you're not going trick me by saying, "but is it still racist when it's against ELVES?!?"

Last edited:

ESkemp

Validated User
It feels vaguely like asking if you're nationalist but for your species, honestly. "My Species, Right or Wrong", y'know?

Top Bottom