• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Are you loyal to humanity?

Constructman

Banned
Validated User
On good days, when I'm too busy working to really think, I can't say that I'm loyal to anything.

On bad days, when I have the time to catch up with all the shit going on in the world and speculate on the hopelessness that the future will bring as we race further into an even mix of hypercapitalist, theocratic, and just plain authoritarian dystopia, I want to watch it all burn, and maybe even be the one throwing the match.

Fuck humanity.

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Normally I'd prefer to pick my side based on moral concerns, and humanity hasn't acted with a single unified will yet, so I'd be picking between "some group of humans" and "someone else".

That being said, I'll pick humanity in the abstract against individuals who want to murder everyone every time. "You and all your kind deserve to die" is the kind of statement I have trouble not taking personally.

Last edited:

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
I love how quickly this kind of hypothetical always seems to get reduced to wars of extermination.

And by love I mean YIKES.

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I love how quickly this kind of hypothetical always seems to get reduced to wars of extermination.

And by love I mean YIKES.
I blame a certain subset of W40K fanbois, you know, the ones who unironically adore the Imperium of Man.

And right wing Mil Sci Fi. And lazy writing in general.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
To actually answer the question:
I wouldnt say I'm loyal to humanity, but I am favorably inclined to them. All else being equal, I'd side with the humans.
That said, preferably it'd be best if both sides can get along.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
I blame a certain subset of W40K fanbois, you know, the ones who unironically adore the Imperium of Man.
The most enthusiasm in this thread seems to be for the annihilation of humanity, though, so that can't be it. Unless you're arguing it's some kind of contrarian backlash against PURGE THE XENOS.

Either way, it just seems like a false binary, built on some Galaxy Brain level attribution error.

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The most enthusiasm in this thread seems to be for the annihilation of humanity, though, so that can't be it. Unless you're arguing it's some kind of contrarian backlash against PURGE THE XENOS.
Then I dunno ... part backlash against PURGE THE XENOS and the associated crowd, part internet hyperbole, part lazy writing, part actual loathing for humanity because of recent events.

I mean humans have been shit to each other for millenia, but the recent years ... they burn, they really do. And that severely fucks with peoples happiness, mostly people who cared and people who thought that things might actually improve (me included). And then those disappointed people vent some steam by typing about blowing up humanity on the internetz, and living with the elves instead, or the Culture, or Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, whatever.

My theory, anyways.

Donald K.

Eat a bee today!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Either way, it just seems like a false binary, built on some Galaxy Brain level attribution error.
Maybe it's hard to come up with a scenario where you are genuinely against humanity without going to 'destroy humanity?' I dunno.

I tend to side with whoever is closest to my values. If that's a human faction, then they get my support. If it's aliens or some other species, they get my support.

Humanity is too diverse for me to be on 'their side' unless we're talking something so massive that it would impact all of humanity regardless of what anybody's affiliation is. There are people alive that I would assign a negative value to, people who actively make the world worse for everyone in it, and there are people alive who are wonderful, excellent examples of everything a person can strive to be.

I'm only moderately more loyal to humanity than I am to white people, which is to say barely, compared to not at all.

Top Bottom