• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Are you loyal to humanity?

Endless Rain

Validated User
Heck no, if anything I'm biased in favor of whatever non-humans are in the picture.
So there's a certain tone that's more or less endemic to space opera (and really any sci fi with aliens that aren't Lovecraftian) that's very...what's the subreddit called, "Humanity, FUCK YEAH!!!".

To the extent that exists in a given work, I am not only willing to betray humanity, but an ardent partisan and zealot of whichever inhuman cause seems like it's got the best chance of coming out on top. I spent every minute of the Mass Effect trilogy looking for ways to sell out the Systems Alliance. Manifest Destiny's should be derailed and sent hurtling off the cliffs of history as a matter of course.

(The only full aversion I can think of for this is actually an RTS called Gray Goo, where humans are slotted into the space-elf slot with shiny i-future drones doing 99% of the fighting and a tech base leaps and bounds above the scrappy underdog aliens. I like humans in that!)

Otherwise-well, as a matter of aesthetics humans are boring, so generally I'd rather root for the dragons or machine angels or antediuvian leviathans or eldritch elves or whatever. But that's flexible.
These are basically my exact views, right down to the Mass Effect part. In any work of fiction involving humans and other species, I almost always root for the aliens/non-humans, even if they're the obvious bad guys. I've lost count of the number of times I've blown up Earth in various video games.

I haven't played Grey Goo though, would you recommend it? I'm a huge RTS fan.

St.Just

Lacking all conviction
Validated User
These are basically my exact views, right down to the Mass Effect part. In any work of fiction involving humans and other species, I almost always root for the aliens/non-humans, even if they're the obvious bad guys. I've lost count of the number of times I've blown up Earth in various video games.

I haven't played Grey Goo though, would you recommend it? I'm a huge RTS fan.
I really would, actually! It's not ground-breaking in any real way, mechanically (though I'm an obligate turtler and so found the human base-building mechanics quite fun, and the Goo's whole guerellia style is really interesting.)

Lore-wise it's an interesting enough universe I'm rather sad there's so little of it, really. (also, the fact that the Beta's all have South African accents is just kind of hilarious to me).

Top Bottom