• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Argh - help me with dice roll

The Radioactivist

Validated User
OK, so we have the following from Gamma World 1st edition. Bold is the part I am emphasizing...

SAW-EDGED LEAVES: These are large-toothed, motile leaves, which the plant usually keeps withdrawn or hidden until disturbed. These leaves will viciously attack anything thrust into their midst. There are usually 6-8 such leaves per branch or vine so equipped, each branch doing 1 die (d4) of damage per melee turn. They will only cut cloth, flesh, or other soft materials.

How the heck do you randomly roll between 6 and 8? Is my brain broken? :confused:

Only thing I can think of is roll d6: 1-2=6, 3-4=7, 5-6=8

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
OK, so we have the following from Gamma World 1st edition. Bold is the part I am emphasizing...

SAW-EDGED LEAVES: These are large-toothed, motile leaves, which the plant usually keeps withdrawn or hidden until disturbed. These leaves will viciously attack anything thrust into their midst. There are usually 6-8 such leaves per branch or vine so equipped, each branch doing 1 die (d4) of damage per melee turn. They will only cut cloth, flesh, or other soft materials.

How the heck do you randomly roll between 6 and 8? Is my brain broken? :confused:

I don't know Gamma World specifically, but it sounds like each branch that contains six to eight leaves does 1d4 damage. There's no 6-8 range for damage, that's just a flavor detail.

The Radioactivist

Validated User
Oh, I see what you did there. Hmmm. It was rather poorly written. Knowing Gamma World 1E, they would certainly be aiming more for 6d4 to 8d4 damage than 1d4. I wonder if they intended for multiple attack rolls. Wow. Gonna have to dig around old Dragons and see if there was a ruling.

It looks like it was designed as a defensive mechanism, like a Fire Shield spell or somesuch. Someone whollops you, they get buzzsawed back. Doesn't even look like there IS an attack roll. No wonder the mutation never made it into later editions.

Thanks!

Marius B

Euro-Trash
Validated User
Or 2d2 +4! :D

Or maybe 2d3+3 (so there's usually between 6 and 8 - but sometimes there's 5 or 9...) ;)

(And I agree that it should probably be 1d4 per leaf so it's 6-8 d4 because in 1e GW, just 1d4 damage would be utterly trivial. Haven't played 1e GW in a looong time but I still have my box set)

The Radioactivist

Validated User
Or 2d2 +4! :D

Or maybe 2d3+3 (so there's usually between 6 and 8 - but sometimes there's 5 or 9...) ;)

(And I agree that it should probably be 1d4 per leaf so it's 6-8 d4 because in 1e GW, just 1d4 damage would be utterly trivial. Haven't played 1e GW in a looong time but I still have my box set)
Yeah, the numbers were always stupid wonky. Some poor schmuck with a two-handed sword ... err ... sharpened street sign could only dish out 1d10+x (usually only up to +3 due to the way attribute numbers worked, unless your mutie had stupid high strength). Once mutations and gunfire was expended, sword & claw fights could really really drag out.

Since I am busily making my version of Gamma World Next (D&D Next gammified), here's my take:

Saw-Edged Leaves
Plant; constant
Use: automatic when touched or struck (swift action?)
Range: touch
Duration: Instantaneous
When you are touched or struck in melee, 1d4+4 large motile saw-toothed leaves spring from hidden recesses and strike as a touch attack. Each leaf that hits inflicts 1 point of damage to soft materials such as flesh, leather, and clothing.
Converted from 1st Edition Gamma World.

The biggest challenge I see is to find some way to adjudicate the power of mutations in "D&D Gamma World Next". 7th edition (i.e. based on D&D 4E) had a very strict formula for damage dice based on Level, etc. Gamma World in its various d20 forms (d20 Apoc, d20 Gamma World, Omega World, Darwin's World) had a point-based mutation purchasing system that lent some help to the issue.

Perhaps as a character levels up, such damage numbers increase in the same manner spell damage does? It's a 4E-sounding solution, but it works after a fashion. Since all mutations are available at 1st Level, there is no way to have them constrained by spell level as in D&D. So they all have to start out weak, and improve. Doing the non-combat stuff such as teleport and the like should be fun also.

For now, my rule of thumb is to reduce damages from 1st thru 4th edition Gamma World by at least 75%. I'm not terribly worried about things like range or duration as yet, since D&D Next is a lot less rigorously constrained by balance as 4E, or in some cases even 3.5E D&D.

*dang* wish I could change the thread name now. Thanks for the thoughts!

Eh ... something to do on a nice evening after being out in the sun all day.

Last edited:

ShawnDriscoll

Banned

The sentence you bolded is unneeded info. It's the branch that you have to worry about. A lot of 1st and 2nd gen RPGs confuse their setting and systems together. Traveller did this all the time.

Last edited:

AlHazred

Mad Arab-American
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Saw-Edged Leaves
Plant; constant
Use: automatic when touched or struck (swift action?)
Range: touch
Duration: Instantaneous
When you are touched or struck in melee, 1d4+4 large motile saw-toothed leaves spring from hidden recesses and strike as a touch attack. Each leaf that hits inflicts 1 point of damage to soft materials such as flesh, leather, and clothing.
If D&D Next is your model, the "Use" should be "1 reaction, which you take when you are touched, or hit by an attack." Swift doesn't factor into it. Then you give it a regular attack of "Melee Attack-Saw-Edged Leaves: +4 to hot (5 ft., one creature). 1d4 damage." or whatever.

The Radioactivist

Validated User
The sentence you bolded is unneeded info. It's the branch that you have to worry about. A lot of 1st and 2nd gen RPGs confuse their setting and systems together. Traveller did this all the time.
I don't grok what you mean by this. Do you mean the games are mixing up descriptive narrative and mechanics?

Top Bottom