[Aristeia] MOBA + Sports tabletop game

advertise with rpgnet

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
https://aristeiathegame.com/

So, its a grid-based miniatures game with influences ranging from MOBAs to Overwatch so far as I can tell. I watched the "how to play" video from Corvus Belli, and it seems simple enough?

I'm looking for an easy game to learn and play with some friends from church who don't do mini games, don't do RPGs, but do play board games.

I like that it has some game modes/scenarios. I like there's a variety of characters (although I do wish there were more at the moment). I kind of dig the aesthetic more than Shadespire, the other game I'm looking at.

How is it in play? Are there other maps, official or fan-made? I'm not worried about immersion since its not a RPG, but the FFG Star Wars does take me out of the game pretty quickly. Does the dice system here do the same?

Do the minis paint nicely/easily?

Thoughts, impressions, etc., all appreciated :)

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Re: [Sell me on] Aristeia! The Game

Okay, so from my research, while not super detailed? It seems like its fun. So I ordered it from the War Store - gift certificate means its not high risk for me.

I guess I'll be letting folks know how it is? :p

Scutarii

Validated User

Okay, so from my research, while not super detailed? It seems like its fun. So I ordered it from the War Store - gift certificate means its not high risk for me.

I guess I'll be letting folks know how it is? :p
Please do! I've ordered a copy which I should get after christmas at this point and have watched some of the Guerilla Miniatures Games videos about it on YouTube.

I like the 'it's a sport!' veneer laid over the top and the expanding roster of archetypal characters (I want the Valkyrie and Shotgun dude in the first expansion quote a lot).

Looks like it has fairly straightforward team and deckbuilding (and the option to do a competitive draft appeals as well) so you get some of that 'combo planning, designing' stuff without getting bogged down in complicated high skill/knowledge team/deck stuff.

All in all I am excited to get my hands on it and give it a try.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User

Okay, for perhaps the first time ever I'm checking Board Game Geek. Not because I have anything against it, but rather because its the first time I've needed to. I mean, wow, Amazon has no ratings of Aristeia!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230889/aristeia/ratings?rated=1&comment=1

So, 8.8 overall rating, and is a 2.43/5 for complexity. No mention on how hard/easy the minis are to paint.

Scutarii

Validated User

Okay, for perhaps the first time ever I'm checking Board Game Geek. Not because I have anything against it, but rather because its the first time I've needed to. I mean, wow, Amazon has no ratings of Aristeia!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230889/aristeia/ratings?rated=1&comment=1

So, 8.8 overall rating, and is a 2.43/5 for complexity. No mention on how hard/easy the minis are to paint.
I know the minis are all plastic, looking at the images on BGG I see that they are almost all posed with arms wide and chests open, the one with wings and the sniper the exception. This means painting the torsos and getting paint onto the arms uniformly should be very easy (as no fiddly angling with a brush to get paint all around). Getting the backside of the shield could be awkward but the model is mostly armour so means you could choose your level of complexity for them easily.

I think the woman with the wings is likely going to be the hardest to paint.

Thalaric

Eye of the Storm
Validated User

So jumping in on this, I ordered a copy of Aristeia!, but haven't had a chance to break it out yet, so I'm also looking forward to see what other people report :) And hopefully in the new year I'll be able to synch my schedules up with some of my gaming buddies to give it a spin.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User

So jumping in on this, I ordered a copy of Aristeia!, but haven't had a chance to break it out yet, so I'm also looking forward to see what other people report :) And hopefully in the new year I'll be able to synch my schedules up with some of my gaming buddies to give it a spin.
Welcome! Looks like we're early adopters! Pity we're all over the place :p

I should download the rules, but then again I'm supposed to get it on Tuesday. There's a web-app dice roller on their website for those who are interested... just runs in a browser. Seemed to work well - but somewhat cramped - on my iPhone SE.

I was wondering if one could make a Master X Master rules variant where you have two characters on field, two on the bench, and can tag out during your turn by spending energy. I think I've got a small project to work on. I really enjoyed that game for a while - MOBA + Marvel Vs Capcom/DOA tagging? Rather nice.
I guess I just volunteered.

Last edited:

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User

MY COPY CAME IN!!!!

Thank you War Store!

I'll be reading it over tomorrow afternoon, probably. I'm excited :)

The minis are quite nice :D

Top Bottom