• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Arkham Horror LCG announced

Starfall

Validated User
Well, this is co-op, and CoC was competitive, so that's a big difference right there. Although the article doesn't really give any sense of how the game games out, so its possible they preserved some of CoC's mechanics, but the preview cards shown look totally different. Of note is the fact that the byline on the box gives credit to Nate French (and someone name Mathew Newman? Can't quite make it out). Nate also designed FFG's other co-op LCG, Lord of the Rings. So I'd expect that to have at least some influence.

This looks interesting. Curious to see how they handle the roleplaying aspects they are touting, and also to see how complete or not the box set is (I'm feeling a little irked with FFG going back to collectibles with the new Star Wars game atm). Also curious to see if a) it plays well solo, like LotR, and b) if I can get my wife interested at all--she likes the Mythos, particularly FFG's 20s/30s take on it, but stuff like Arkham Horror is just too long for us, and Elder sign is fun, but not very immersive, IMO. I'll keep my eye on this one.

Neaden

Validated User
I did not think this was real, but I am glad that it is. Looks like it will hopefully be out soon too, at least by Christmas.
There is a lot more information at the main product page. The Campaign set up seems neat. I also wonder how the 2 cores work, if it's like AGOT and Netrunner wehre you need more than one core to get a playset for everything and how playing with someone else who has their own core will work.

BD Flory

He Who Walks Between the Posts
RPGnet Member
I did not think this was real, but I am glad that it is. Looks like it will hopefully be out soon too, at least by Christmas.
There is a lot more information at the main product page. The Campaign set up seems neat. I also wonder how the 2 cores work, if it's like AGOT and Netrunner wehre you need more than one core to get a playset for everything and how playing with someone else who has their own core will work.
It's likely similar to LotR, where each player builds their own deck, and one box only has enough physical components for 2 players. There may also be some neutral cards shared across decks of which there are only enough for two players in a single box.

Qooroo

Social Justice Spellthief
Validated User
I love the idea of campaign style rules for an LCG.
I'm intrigued by them, but also concerned that it will make it harder to do pick-up games with strangers. And potentially to talk deckbuilding. But I'm not going to worry until I know more about it. Plus, I'm too busy being excited about how sweet this looks.

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Validated User
I've also heard comparisons to FFG's Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game. Honestly, a cooperative investigative game is what the CoC LCG should have been from the beginning; a competitive game just didn't seem to make a lot of sense.

beachnik

Man of Action!
Validated User
Oh this looks super interesting.

I love the way that Fantasy Flight really seem to be exploiting the things that they can do with an LCG, stuff like cards levelling up and whatnot is something you just really couldn't get away with in a more traditional CCG.

I'll definitely be picking this up, especially as I've cooled slightly on Netrunner, and I think my group would prefer a cooperative rather than a competitive game.

Crumbs

Validated User
Im getting it because solo play when I cant get in games with the group is a big plus for me. I suspect it will be a good mix of LotR, CoC and some new mechanics to support the RPG like aspects.

What is interesting is the character cards not being totally specific in that you get a choice. That will make multiple core sets a greater value as you can then really have multiple decks for your favorite character without the need to switch out cards. Its like an improvement on signiture cards from conquest

The campaign stuff is something they've been doing sort of half way in LotR with the saga stuff so it will be nice to see it expanded.

Top Bottom