• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Arkham Horror LCG announced

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
Forgotten Age is a ton of fun, as long as you're willing to go in with your investigator getting beaten and bruised the whole way through. My group's most risk-averse player hated the campaign for that reason.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
My group is fairly used to “failing forward” in our AH campaigns; actually winning a scenario comes as a surprise to us.

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
I'm with you two. I'm used to winning any Arkham Files games by the seat of the group's collective pants, but this one player, if he isn't acing everything, he's on the verge of defeat, so far as he's concerned. So while the rest of us took Forgotten Age as a wild ride where one clings on as best as possible, he was rather put out. I especially appreciated that a replay with full foreknowledge of the twists was still challenging and unpredictable.

Monochrome Tide

Someone
Validated User
I feel getting beaten and bruised is every Arkham campaign
Forgotten Age is worse than usual by a considerable margin. It's got so many unavoidable sources of trauma and worse, and the whole supply mechanic feels like a feel bad mechanic because no matter what you take it won't be the right things. The branching and quest mechanics are really cool, but the supplies mechanics and the sheer number of times you are actively punished for fighting OR for evading...well, they hurt a lot.

Carcosa felt much more fair.

carvincustom

Social Justice Rogue
Validated User
Local store has a 50% off sale starting today and I've been considering Arkham for a bit now. I've got a few questions I'm too lazy to Google this late at night.

What do I need to start, is this like FF's other games where I need 3 copies of the core to build a deck, or can I pick one up and be good to go for my four player group? And does the core set have a lengthy campaign or should I buy one to play considering my group will play one to two games a month?

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
What do I need to start, is this like FF's other games where I need 3 copies of the core to build a deck, or can I pick one up and be good to go for my four player group? And does the core set have a lengthy campaign or should I buy one to play considering my group will play one to two games a month?
You'd need two core sets to make bare minimum decks for four players. The core campaign is three scenarios, whereas the others to date are eight scenarios long. Buying a campaign's worth of packs would also greatly expand the deckbuilding options for four players.

Monochrome Tide

Someone
Validated User
You'd need two core sets to make bare minimum decks for four players. The core campaign is three scenarios, whereas the others to date are eight scenarios long. Buying a campaign's worth of packs would also greatly expand the deckbuilding options for four players.
Yeah, Arkham benefits tremendously from bigger card pools.

Top Bottom