• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Art] Storn's stuff

Storn

Validated User
Here are couple of color interior pics that I did for Hero 6th edition and now that it is out, I can share...These were done primarily in Painter IX, a bit of Photoshop, over scanned pencils. I like the grittiness of the pencils bleeding through the digital paint here and there.

This first one was really Fred Hicks baby, he is the art director. He came up with the idea of a evil bard as the main antagonist for a intrepid band of adventurers. I really thought that was cool. I sorta went pied piper.

This one was the 2nd in a series about this heroic duo that I made up to represent the more sword and sorcery vibe that Hero 6th could do (as opposed to D&D vibe, the band of heroes thing). I knew Fred loved Apes and Gorillas...so I made one of the duo just that.

images are shown with permission by Hero Games

Charke

Writer, Editor, Artist
Validated User
Again me and weapon detail. I love the detail and care in your bow. You've got the horn tips, suggesting a composite bow, which is what you use on... um, 'horseback'. We've got a string, something even Wizards has left out from time to time. The proportions are right and there is excellent detail on the bow. Hurray!

Ralph Horsley

Retired User
Hi Storn,

Good to see what you have been up to. You've got alot of the usual, good, things I expect to see - Plenty of movement, lots of figures interacting well (often a rare commodity) and a sense of fun.

As a crit I think the values could be refined. At present the images are suffering from looking a little flat. In the second the value range on the sand dune in the foreground is the same as that farthest away.

Cheers,

Ralph
====

Sylvre Phire

Custodian of the Flame
Validated User
Is that... an apeman in a kilt running alongside the warrior woman on the dracosaur? Hero System or not, I want to play in that game :cool::D.

Pax et bonum,

Storn

Validated User
Once in awhile, I get the urge to show the steps I take in creating a painting. This is one of those times. Partly because I have a tough job ahead of me. This private commission came with sketches from the client. The one I worked from the most from is this:

Added to that was 3 staves and a rod... oh...yeah, that doodle of the rod of splendor was done by me at Gencon in front of the client while I was writing down notes from him.

But there is a real joy in working on the imaginations of others. It takes me out of my comfort zone. Like, wow, those are some seriously Georgia O'Keefe inspired staff heads! Not something I would do if left to my own devices. Nor do I tend to do sexy outfits all that often.

Here is my version in pencil sketch form. You might notice there isn't any of the wire/bead/thong holding up the halter and girdle. And the hair is just kinda blasted in there. That is because I find it is much easier to paint those details on top of the skin or cloth or the background than try to paint around those little, thin shapes.

note: I skipped the roman sandals bit. I just couldnt' get it to look right with those bends in the toes.

As soon as I get the underpainting done, I will put that up too.

Storn

Validated User
I worked on this commission painting before the holidays. Work, both freelance and part-time got very busy during the holidays and I'm only getting back to this today. But I thought I would scan it in and share where I am up to this point.

I find drow skin tones very difficult. I'm not going to worry to much more about them until the whole painting is blocked in. Then I'll go back and tweak. Very difficult, but a blast to play with. Somehow working in that dark blue for someone's skin is a total hoot!

Well, here is the 1/2 or 1/3 point. Comments and critiques are welcome!

Charke

Writer, Editor, Artist
Validated User
I've been leatherworking for the last year or so, and it just doesn't look like that to me anymore. Obviously some straps are missing from this version of the art and it's a funny comment but I just assume there is a rivet mount behind it. Can't wait to see the final!

Mark Charke

Storn

Validated User
Okay, all blocked in. I have to change the boots, I hate them. I've got work her hair over her shoulders, I have a nice pic of a model that has hair cascading interestingly. Got to start in with all the chain work...ugg.... that is going to be tough, don't like the buckles-snap thingees, I think I'm gonna make them gold, bronzish.

But, it is coming along.

And, oh yeah... the costume is totally insane and unpractical. Look at the original sketch by the client... I just haven't gotten to those wee chains yet...

Storn

Validated User
I finished Kalhandrha here. She has been done for a bit, but oil can take a while to dry and then I was just waiting for a day that I could gang up a lot scans all at once. Yesterday was that day. Now, I'm posting her.

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

Top Bottom