• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Artesia Beginners Help

Ningauble

Retired User
Hi,

I'm pretty new to Artesia. I bought the book a few weeks ago and am impressed by the overall material. I have tried to search through this forum for some play aids, but haven't found many.

So far I found

- a thread entry with an overview on character creation
- different beginner's magic allotments (what is the "offical ruling"?)
- life path helping sheets for character generation
- some game discussions with house rules (I am currently not much interested in house rules, as I want to play it RAW first)

If you have selfmade game help sheets than it would be of great help to me and other new players to post them here in this thread.

So if you have selfmade character sheets and cheat sheets please post them!

Cheers,

Ningauble

Kilgs

Grand Poombah
Validated User
I can help you a little bit. First of all, there is my AP thread which has a number of discussions on Character Generation, Magic and also has a number of houserules. I know you want to play it raw first but the thread has them for when you need them. I would highly recommend increasing the experience costs right off the bat!

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=249052

I do have a Combat Sheet, I’ll need to email it to you. I may have some other stuff that was posted to the boards awhile back. In addition, I have a two web-only supplements. So PM me your email address…

Bankuei

Master of Folding Chair
Validated User
I've photocopied all the Arcana pages. When I finally get around to playing, my plan is to divvy up awarding Arcana amongst the group -everyone gets something like 4 Arcana and only need to check in for awarding themselves ("Hey, I did this thing, I should get X Arcana!").

Also- photocopies avoid the problem of 1 hefty book/X number of players that Kilgs notes in his thread.

Chris

Ningauble

Retired User
Regarding the distribution of the Arcana, the book says that the action must move the story forward to grant the award. I think I'll just be a bit careful when doling out these points. I also don't want to have the players metagame the Arcanas, so I probably won't give them copies during play. But I see the problems during character generation. When I tried it out i kept looking at the arcanas and gift lists back and forth.

I read that many GMs see twohanded weapons as too powerful. But it has also been said that this game is the first one to handle shields correctly. Isn't that then balanced out?

Best,

Ningauble

Kilgs

Grand Poombah
Validated User
Regarding Arcana, it's a style issue. I really liked the Arcana system and chose to reward people for their actions to encourage them to do more. I also liked how it tended to focus the development of your character. I usually awarded full points for the first event and subsequent events maybe +1 points or such since they rack up Death points rather quick:D

Shields are really done well. Combats can last awhile between skilled folks and then end abruptly when someone finally pierces the defense of the other. Mounted combat is also done really well.

Two-Handed weapons could use some house-ruling. I know I changed the rules but I can't remember the specific mechanic. I know that doubling STR is just brutal and combat in Artesia is already pretty nasty.

The things that, IMO, need fixing/house-ruling:

1. Missile Combat (calculating ranges is a pain, PER doesn't matter and DEX is a monster stat)

2. Arcana

3. Hit Locations (Body hits need to be more common)

Masked Cucumber

Validated User
There should be a thread around with the address of the new Artesia forum. The old ones blew up. There was some pretty nice stuff on that forum too.

What threads have you found already.

I remain,

The Masked Cucumber

Last edited:

Ningauble

Retired User
Well I have read nearly all threads which I found through the search and the tags. I didn't see the old artesia forum though as I am a bit late to the party it seems.

filigree

or thereabouts
Validated User
Two-Handed weapons could use some house-ruling. I know I changed the rules but I can't remember the specific mechanic.
Does this...

1. Determine damage as if 1H
2. Double
3. All additional damage modifiers added after this.

... seem familiar? ;)

Kilgs

Grand Poombah
Validated User
*scratches head* That just seems like a silly rule! Whoever came up with that should be hogtied... erm.:p

Here is the web supplement that was supposed to be in the back of the most recent comic book...

http://www.artesiaonline.com/Artesia_Besieged_3_supplement.pdf

I can't stress enough how important it is to read the comics or at least be able to give them to your players. It really helps with the feel/themes of the setting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom