Assassins Creed Odyssey: Go Tell the Spartans (Release and Playthru Thread)

Li of Orchid

you will explode.
Validated User
There was an interview recently where one of the lead designers admitted that because the writing team changes game to game, they rely on the fan wiki to tell them what they've established about the metaplot.

Better to reboot the game with a clearer idea of what, if any, conspiracies link the games (if they have to link at all.) You could cut out the dead wood and actually let the historical settings tell their own story.
I wasn't aware of that, but it doesn't surprise me. They desperately need someone who manages all their lore and metaplot, because they are constantly contradicting previous games and retconning stuff.

I know people have strongly held opinions about this, so I'll just say that I think the new games have a long, long way to go in terms of getting rid of the series' baggage.

But! We all enjoy stabbing people and frantically running way right? In the game? To be clear, I mean in the game.
For sure. If nothing else, I feel like I can always enjoy the gameplay of an AC game, even if the plots and characters ultimately feel weak.

Li of Orchid

you will explode.
Validated User
I tried to like Alexios. I really did. And I think, if I had never played the game through as Kassandra first, I probably would have. It's not like his voice actor is actively bad. But after about 10 hours of a New Game Plus with Alexios, I think I am giving it up and starting a different New Game Plus with Kassandra.

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
OK Legacy of the First Blade Part 3 Bloodlines
Spoilers
Spoiler: Show
Love interest dies, baby kidnapped, vengeance hunt worthy of Kill Bill, lot's of stabbing, "You will always be hunted", give up the kid and Darius takes him to Egypt and the kid grows up, family line, and Aya from Origins is the decendent.
So at the end, you have two new legendary gear sets, three new weapons and no kid, no love interest, no family, and lots of guilt trips and people telling you how horrible you are and you will never be happy and always be hunted and yadda yadda yadda.

Ugh. Just so not worth it.
[\spoiler]

Looking forward to the Atlantis DLC. It's a different writing team and a whole city to explore according to the rumors,

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
I tried to like Alexios. I really did. And I think, if I had never played the game through as Kassandra first, I probably would have. It's not like his voice actor is actively bad. But after about 10 hours of a New Game Plus with Alexios, I think I am giving it up and starting a different New Game Plus with Kassandra.
There is no shame in this whatsoever.
It's your game and your gaming experience. You have fun your way.

Cult Classic

A cautionary tale
Validated User
I find that I don't feel particularly strongly about when the next AC will be set; I just care very strongly that it retains the Odyssey-like gameplay mechanics and RPG elements.

In fact... You know what? I would totally full price re-purchase a reboot of an earlier game done Odyssey-style. AC II or Black Flag especially.

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Picked this up because it was on sale and I loved it. Went with Kassandra because of course, right? And riding around the Aegean stabbing fools has never been so much fun. For the record,

I stabbed the Wolf so hard it threw his son off the cliff. Malakas, the both of them

Gearwise I'm waiting until I hit maximum level and then am going to pick the set bonus I like and upgrade all the stuff up to there. Appearance-wise... I really like the clean lines of the Spartan armor with the black iron material. Everyone else running around in red and gold or blue and white and I'm stalking through the battlefield in my black iron horned helmet, like the specter of Hades himself come to walk the world.

My biggest complaint (aside from all the controls being tied to the shoulder buttons -- they had such a good scheme with Black Flag! Why change it all around?) was that a lot of the higher-level mercs and whatnot are simply health sponges. They take soooooo much damage than even with a Legendary weapon I feel like I'm whittling away at a rock face.

Propagandor

Square-Cube Law Compliant
Validated User
Picked this up because it was on sale and I loved it. Went with Kassandra because of course, right? And riding around the Aegean stabbing fools has never been so much fun. For the record,

I stabbed the Wolf so hard it threw his son off the cliff. Malakas, the both of them

Gearwise I'm waiting until I hit maximum level and then am going to pick the set bonus I like and upgrade all the stuff up to there. Appearance-wise... I really like the clean lines of the Spartan armor with the black iron material. Everyone else running around in red and gold or blue and white and I'm stalking through the battlefield in my black iron horned helmet, like the specter of Hades himself come to walk the world.

My biggest complaint (aside from all the controls being tied to the shoulder buttons -- they had such a good scheme with Black Flag! Why change it all around?) was that a lot of the higher-level mercs and whatnot are simply health sponges. They take soooooo much damage than even with a Legendary weapon I feel like I'm whittling away at a rock face.
I also picked it up in the recent sale and went Kassandra. Having lots of fun.

Sometimes I get so bored of fighting mercs I just fistfight every. Knocking people out isn't a crime it seems

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
I got seriously done with mercs pretty early. Now I have so much drachmae that I just pay off the bounty when it gets annoying.

Top Bottom