• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative August Painting Thread

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is not mine to be clear. I just found this on another forum and thought I'd share.
Apologiy if someone has already seen this

Mercurial Sea

Smart Went Crazy
Validated User
Got my first warband done for Warcry! Decided I didn't really like the "official" red-and-gold scheme (which feels a little off for the Iron Golems) nor for the ghastly skin (tho I like that a little more after reading the lore reason for it). It's a little hard to parse in pictures, but the black is actually very faintly metallic, with a look that I hope is reminiscent of wrought iron. Individual model images under the cut.

Spoiler: Show

I got a random notion to start a Legions of Nagash warband as well and picked up the Sepulchral Guard from Underworlds and a box of Skeleton Warriors over the weekend. It turned out to be a serendipitous decision, given that the latter provided the bones and broken weapons and armor I used to decorate the blasted wasteland of their bases.

Scutarii

Validated User
Very impressive.

Is it a single figure? The bases don’t match.
I suspect they painted the main body on the simpler base first before moving it to the scenic one. You’ll notice in the first pictures it doesn’t have the right hand and weapon attached. It’s probably still a work in progress as the brown portion of the base on the final picture is also quite flat and simple compared to how incredible the rest of it is!

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Does anyone have any tips for painting smooth metallics? I don't have any trouble with small details like swords or trim, but when I go to paint a large flat area (say, painting shield solid silver) I often get brushstrokes in a way that I don't with other colors. Which I'm assuming has something to do with the distribution of the little metallic particles in the paint.

Picked up the tip from Hobby Cheating / Vince Venturella. Vallejo has a line of metal acrylic colors that are very liquid but cover incredibly well. I'm honestly considering tossing out all my Reaper, GW, and Scale 75 metallics after having tried these. ... except that for drybrushing, the liquidity is a negative, so I will probably keep some of the others around for that.

Egyptian

21st Century Digital Boy
Validated User
The Vallejo metals look really good. In a test video I saw it was almost impossible to tell the difference between Vallejo and Alclad. The same video did show that Vallejo Metal Color is somewhat fragile though-they repeatedly pulled up with masking tape, for instance.

SibKhatru

Validated User
Nice Warcry work. I await my Starter. I might try painting, but my eyes are aging. I might seek out s commission.

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
95% completion (minus sealcoat and possible decals) on my Sentinels!

More pics under spoiler..

Spoiler: Show

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Love those Sentinels and especially those amazing arctic bases
Thank you! I magnetized all possible main weapon options for them, so i have some painting to do on the alternates..

The bases are mostly XPS Foam, with spackling and some Vallejo snow paste, washed with a very thin Plasma Fluid Ghost Tint, and then drybrushed white.

The Sentinels feature my first use of Contrast paint - the windows and the little searchlights.

Top Bottom