• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative August Painting Thread

Egyptian

21st Century Digital Boy
Validated User
I signed up for Asset Drop. Every month they send you a little box with some paints to try out, and a couple little features to try them out on. Here's a quick and very inexpert review of this month's offering. First, the images.

Spoiler: Show

First, the stump. Coat d'arms is (as I've heard) the old Games Workshop paint line. They still use the classic flip caps and everything. I know nothing about Warcolours, except that their bottles come with a medicine cap 'press and twist'. The Coat d'arms paints were nice to work with-covered well, did what you wanted them to, mixed well, etc. The Warcolours shade went on really well, and added a nice tone where I put it. As someone who is still a very un-confident painter, I felt like I could use this stuff and get reasonably good results. My only gripe here is those flip caps. Once you've been able to measure paint out in exact drops it's hard to go back. I tried a pipette, and the paint quickly coated the inside, rather than staying together and ready to dispense.

Now for that fucking helmet. I did that stump in about ten minutes, and probably could have done it faster if I wasn't talking online at the same time. This helmet was a 45 minute battle to the death. Pro Acryl is the paint line made by Creature Caster. It is the work his Satanic Majesty Lucifer. When I went to apply the first coat the paint instantly beaded up, like trying to paint watercolors on a sheet of plexiglass. Mind you, I'd primed this helmet rather thoroughly (probably too thoroughly!) with Tamiya. Didn't matter. The first three coats were just trying to cover this thing. Then, as the tutorial instructs, you mix the paints to get lighter and lighter shades, which you drybrush over the model. This is when I discovered that if you don't work quickly, that Pro Acryl paint will actually separate, one shade from the other. I felt like I was watching a magic trick. After several tries at basecoats and drybrush shades it was a horrible mess. That's when I tried the Warcolour blue shade. This covered very unevenly despite all efforts. I drybrushed over this catastrophe again, and finally in a fit of panic went and got my Vallejo blue wash to try and save something from this mess.

Coat d'arms 1
Pro Acryl 0
And the jury is still out on the Warcolours Shades.

I'll probably experiment some more with the Pro Acryl paints, but this was not a good first showing by them. Using Coat d'arms was like reading an old book you already know you like.

mac40k

Validated User
I love scrap-around-the-house terrain :)

And yes, it looks good.
You know you are a gamer when you're more excited by the packing material something came it than the item itself. Terrain is great for practicing dry brushing since it's bigger than game models and you usually aren't as worried about messing up detail.

Gallowglacht

Validated User

I think I'll call these battle ready and come back to them later to highlight :)

Judges Tedd, Fredd, Daffydd, Hamidd, Seigfredd, Æthelredd, Yaredd, Nedd, Sayedd and Ahmedd ibn Faddlan ibn al-Abbas ibn Rasidd ibn Hammadd*

*Known as "Eben" to the local Space Wolf pack.

ogier300

Validated User
Working on some technique and experimentation with a Malifaux Witchling Stalker. Originally was going to use Contrast paints, but ended up only using some Snakebite Leather on the forearm wraps, and instead used regular base/wash/highlights. Tried a zenithal highlight (primed black, then hit with white), which worked pretty well. The experiment was using a dark brown wash, instead of my homebrew black, and trying some edge highlights.

Egyptian

21st Century Digital Boy
Validated User
The continuing saga of Weird Blue Space Head
Spoiler: Show

I gave the Pro Acryl paints another try. They weren't much better than last time, and I might just need to accept that drybrushing is a skill I will understand in theory but not in practice. Lacking anything else to do with this practice tile, I got bored, took a silver marker, and practiced some chipping effects. Came out okay-I overdid it, but this was practice and overdoing it was kind of the point.

Collective_Restraint

Validated User
Just finished my Hydra from Reaper's Bones kickstarter !

Tried to stick as much as the AD&D 2E description :
Hydrae are gray-brown to dark brown, with lighter, yellow or tan underbellies. Their eyes are amber and their teeth are yellow-white.

Top Bottom