• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC [B/X D&D] Carceres et Dracones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius Sleazer

Validated User
This is the OOC thread for Carceres et Dracones, a D&D game using the Moldvay Basic Set (1981) and the Cook/Marsh Expert Set (1981). I, Julius Sleazer, am the sole DM. Current players include The Wyzard, The Fiendish Dr. Samsara, Celeste, MonsterMash, Asen_G, Pariahic, maxvale79, and Urlang K'Naboth, in no particular order. As with most PbP games, the list of players and the characters played will likely change over time; please refer to the wiki page for this game in order to view current information regarding characters and players.

Please take the time to read through a list of basic guidelines as to how to post and participate in this game.

1.) Please take the time to use proper English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

2.) Please preface all posts with bolded text announcing your character's name and class (or, alternatively, name and a description of no more than several words). Example Post:

Ejemplo, Fighter

Ejemplo shines his lantern into the darkness and attempts to discern what form of creature has been making the wailing noises.
3.) Lengthy OOC comments belong in the OOC thread. Brief OOC comments may be included in IC posts provided that they are placed at the bottom of the posts and hidden in an sblock. Please see example post. To figure out how to use the tags, quote my entire post, scroll down to 3.), and observe the tagging.

Ejemplo, Fighter

Ejemplo readies his crossbow and gazes across the river.

Spoiler: Show

How far away are they? I don't want to waste any crossbow bolts unless they're within medium range or closer.
4.) Do not puppet anyone else's character. Do not puppet NPCs. If you are unsure what I mean by "puppet", I mean that no player should make posts detailing what another character is doing or thinking(those posts should be made by that character's player) or posts detailing what an NPC is doing or thinking(those posts should be made by the DM.)

Please note that the DM can and will puppet the characters of players who are absent in order to prevent game stagnation. This will be done sparingly.

5.) Expected posting frequency is a minimum of once per weekday and preferably more often during combat. If you are going to be absent, please make an effort to notify the group in the OOC thread. In general, I will usually wait until the preponderant majority of the group has posted and then update things. Sometimes this will result in players with a slower posting frequency getting left behind from time to time. While this is unfortunate, in my experience slowing a game down to accomodate the slowest player(s) in the group kills campaigns since the more active posters get bored and lose interest.

6.) All in-character posts should be written in present tense and in the third person.

7.) If your character is speaking in a language other than Common or the setting equivalent, please indicate that this is the case by using italics. Example Post:

Ejemplo, Fighter

Ejemplo sizes up the exotic traders and siezes the opportunity to flaunt his education.

"We are great and powerful nobles!" he states in their obscure native tongue. "Any attempts to cheat us will bring down a pox upon all your houses!"

Switching back to Common, he says to the rest of the party: "Have no fear, my gentle diplomacy will surely benefit all subsequent commercial dealings that we have with these folk."
8.) The DM handles all dice rolls.

9.) During combat, I ask for intentions. Players may describe their intentions and basic actions IC. I then post an IC post describing the results after rolling the dice OOC. Players may then make another IC post elaborating on their characters' actions if they wish to, but certainly don't have to do so. Bear in mind that puppeting is forbidden, so no posts like "All of the group are impressed by Brax the Fighter's awesome moves." If the other characters are impressed by Brax's awesome moves, their players will indicate that that is the case.

Do not post something like "Brax the Fighter fires his bow and slays the enemy." Nobody knows if Brax the Fighter did indeed slay the enemy until the DM has done the dice-rolling.

10.) As a continuation of some of the guidelines posted above, please do not litter IC posts with lengthy conditionals, maybes, and hypothetical actions. All of these things are fine in the OOC thread or, if relatively brief, in an IC post but within an sblock.

11.) If you feel that I have made a ruling in error, please bring it up in the OOC thread. I cannot promise you that I will agree with your objection, but I will certainly take it into consideration. No DM is perfect. From time to time I make mistakes and I very much appreciate having these pointed out so that I can correct them. Please bear in mind that the DM is the final authority on the rules.

Last edited:

Julius Sleazer

Validated User
So, uh, congratulations on making it through the lengthy first post of this thread. Thank you all very much for your interest and participation in my game.

Please make a brief post to this thread (nothing fancy required; a simple hello can suffice) to indicate that your character is posted to the wiki and that you have discovered the OOC thread.

Julius Sleazer

Validated User
House Rules

A couple minor houserules have already been mentioned in the chargen thread. I would like to mention a couple more:

Natural Twenties: In my game, natural twenties not only auto-hit, they cause maximum damage. This damage is modifed by all relevant modifiers, including STR, range, magical item bonuses, etc.

Fumbles: Those who have played in my game recall that natural ones are fumbles, and subject to an ad hoc fumble table, almost always rolled on a d6. Results range from relatively harmless (hit an enemy other than the one you aimed at, lose one round action, etc.) to more dire (weapon breakage, roll attack on comrade or self, etc.). In no case do fumbles result in automatic damage.

Both of these rules apply to both players and NPCs.

Another house rule:

Clerics & Knives: Clerics in my game must abide by the traditional D&D weapon restrictions and use only blunt weapons. They are, however, allowed to use knives (technically an "edged weapon") for mundane tasks such as cutting food, slicing rope, whittling, etc. As such, clerics are allowed to purchase daggers for such tasks. Conveniently "dropping" a dagger off of a roof or from a treetop so that it falls upon an enemy is considered to be a violation of clerical weapon restrictions. Clerics are certainly welcome to throw rocks off of great heights, as rocks are not "edged weapons."

A Note Regarding Wiki Usage

I am by no means an expert with wiki use and will most likely ask for help at times throughout the course of this campaign, for which I beg indulgence. That said, having a wiki makes running a PbP campaign infinitely easier. I can't imagine going back to running a wiki-less PbP game. Please allow me to share some thoughts regarding what I would like to see on the wiki:

1.) Current hit points. This makes combat a hell of a lot easier. What I want to see on your character sheet is how many hit points you have remaining. For example:

2/8 hit points
Or:
8 hit points [CURRENT HPs: 2]
Something like that. Under no circumstances should you delete the fact that you have 8 hp and write in 2, because then when I check the wiki my thoughts are going to be as follows, "Okay, I know this character has more than 2 hp since I run a max hp at first level game, but I have no idea how many...". As characters increase in level, obviously, their hit point totals will diverge due to the effects of random rolls.

2.) Spells memorized/prayed for. Also please track spells cast throughout the course of the day. NB: If you are playing a 1st level Magic-User (or Dabbler), I don't need to know what spell you've memorized; I'll assume that you've memorized the one spell that you know. It is also certainly permissible to write conditionals in this regard on your characters sheet, such as:

Default Spells Memorized, by Location:

Dungeon: Sleep x2
Wilderness: Charm Person x1, Sleep x1
City: Charm Person x2
If you don't wish to go to the trouble of breaking it down that much, just "Default Spells Memorized: [Whatever]" is perfectly fine. Unless I see otherwise in the threads, all M-Us, Dabblers, and Clerics are assumed to have memorized their default spells (granting of course they've had the opportunity to memorize 'em).

Last edited:

Celeste

Not Anymore
This is great, Julius. I may have to link to this post so some of my new-to-PbP players can see it. They're picking up PbP so quickly that they've probably figured most of it out on their own, but this is so thorough that I definitely would like it available as a reference.

Alaric of Tournai is in the wiki, and I'm here. ::waves::

Julius Sleazer

Validated User
This is great, Julius. I may have to link to this post so some of my new-to-PbP players can see it. They're picking up PbP so quickly that they've probably figured most of it out on their own, but this is so thorough that I definitely would like it available as a reference.
Thanks, Celeste. I've refined this document over the course of several games, adding and deleting items. Most of the credit should go to DMs in whose games I've played since 2008 (when I started PbPing here), since that's where I stole most of my ideas. EDIT: Oh, and feel free to link or swipe anything you want.

Alaric of Tournai is in the wiki, and I'm here. ::waves::
Welcome aboard!

MonsterMash

Are you mochrieing me?
Validated User
Subscribed!

One recommendation for character sheets in the Wiki - post this text:
A character in the [[Carceres_et_Dracones]] game
near the top so you can easily navigate back to the main page

Julius Sleazer

Validated User
Some Rules from Moldvay (and Cook/Marsh)

We've already been over the spells thing in the recruitment thread. Let me mention a couple more rules that may be slightly different than what y'all're used to:

1.) Natural Healing: To heal naturally, a character must be in a safe place and must do nothing but rest. Each full game day spent resting under these conditions heals 1-3 hit points, generated randomly. CON does not affect healing rate.

Note that you can combine magical healing with natural healing; a character can rest all day while clerics toss cure light wounds at him/her. See page B25.

2.) Death Due to HP Loss: Characters die when they reach 0 hp.

3.) Variable Weapon Damage: This is technically an optional rule, but most DMs use it. I am one of them. See the wiki for a list of what damages are dealt by various weapons.

4.) Re-Memorizing Spells: A character "must be well rested (about one night's sleep) and have about an hour of uninterrupted "game time" to study (magic-user or elf [or dabbler in my campaign---J.S.]) or pray (cleric). Magic-users and elves [dabblers] must also have their spell books with them to regain spells." This is quoted from page X11. Please note that this is time to re-memorize any amount of spells, ranging from one 1st-level spell to multiple high-level dweomers.

5.) Replacing Lost Spellbooks: The short version: don't lose use your spellbook. All magic-users and dabblers are assumed to begin play with a spellbook. They don't have to pay for it out of their randomly generated starting gold, but that does not mean that spellbooks are easily acquired.

This is not an opportunity for me to be a dick. I don't think I've ever had a PC lose a spellbook in one of my campaigns. That said, situations like "Watch me dive into this lake, guys!" or combat disasters like a mage being doused in oil and burned will result in loss of a spellbook. Characters are assumed to carry their spellbooks in reasonably protective covers (oilskin or the like), so walking through the rain or something like that is not going to result in the loss of a spellbook.

Players seeking details on the lost spellbooks should consult page X11 or consult me if they are unable to access the Expert rulebook. Prudent magic-users with extra money are permitted to create duplicate spellbooks.

6.) Reversed Spells: See page X11 for full details. Consult me if you don't have the Expert rulebook. I handle reversed spells by-the-book with the exception that I am more lenient about a) letting Lawful clerics cast reversed spells and b) letting a Cleric pray for both forms (reversed and non-reversed) of a spell.

7.) Casting Restrictions: In order to cast a spell, a character must have at least one (1) hand free and must be able to speak. Characters must also abide by any armor-related restrictions of their class. If a character loses initiative, is hit, and takes damage while trying to cast a spell, the spell fails and is lost. See page X11 for details.

8.) Differing Ranges: Dungeon vs. Wilderness Ranges (both for character movement and for missile and spell ranges) are read as feet when in the dungeon and read as yards when in the wilderness. Spell areas of effect (Fire Ball is the example used by Cook/Marsh) are always read in feet. See page X19 for details. When in cities or above-ground ruins, DM discretion will used to determine whether wilderness or dungeon ranges are used. A daytime encounter in a city with broad avenues would likely use wilderness ranges; an encounter in narrow, winding, smoky alleyways would use dungeon ranges in virtually all cases.

Last edited:

Julius Sleazer

Validated User
Subscribed!

One recommendation for character sheets in the Wiki - post this text:

near the top so you can easily navigate back to the main page
Welcome aboard, MonsterMash! Always a pleasure.

@Everyone: Please add text like MonsterMash has suggested to your character sheet if you have not done so. It is very helpful.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Present.

Please note that, due to the possibility of weapon breakage, I have purchased a dagger and added it to my equipment list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom