• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro B/X Misadventures in randomly generated dungeons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailer

Validated User
Finally got to run some B/X DnD--playing pretty much btb--3d6 roll and keep, rolled HP, wandering monsters, death at zero HP, etc. Not so much a series campaign as straight dungeon crawls using a few of the really cool random adventure generators at Wizardawn and Dunjon.

It's been fun but just about every delve is an instant tragedy and often a tpk--after several failed delves, I finally decided that though I much prefer B/X to Adnd, I think Adnd got the larger pc hit dice right.

I lightly chronicled some of the misadventures and will post them here for your analysis on how B/X plays straight by the book. It is pretty brutal--had a bad streak of low HP rolls at character gen. Plus some of the traps in the random generators are really deadly.

Mailer

Validated User
Adventure 1--players roll up a chaotic and neutral party and name themselves team evil. Silly names chosen to make them more easily distinguishable for forum reading.

Team Evil is:

Sleepy Dwarf--Dwarf warrior with plate mail and mighty battle axe. Known for falling asleep on watch.

Snake--A mysterious thief

Father Murphy--A fallen Cleric trying to repay some gambling debts.

Witchy Woman--A sexy magic user

Elwrong--Elf warrior-Mage with greed in his heart.

Team evil enters dungeon. Dark, cool, stone masonry. Witchy lights lantern. Passage leads east and west. Team chooses west.

20 minutes later, a group of10 good gnomes try to ambush Team Evil in the corridor, but fail to surprise. Combat ensues. Sleepy and Elrong take the front, assailed by short sword wielding gnomes.

Swords clang. Witchy busts off a magic missile and injures one of the gnomes. Father Murphy's sling stone sails harmlessly overhead and Sleepy Dwarf has been cut. Sleepy cuts a gnome down with mighty battle axe.

Sleepy and Elrong each cut down another gnome. Furious, gnomes press the attack. Sleepy is injured and Elwrong goes down under a short blade.

Elwrong is slain!

Snake steps into the gap left open by the fallen elf and fights shoulder to shoulder with Sleepy dwarf. Snake runs one through with his long sword. The Gnomes have had enough. The remaining five flee.

Team Evil is already in bad shape--down an elf, spells already used up, and the dwarf warrior already injured. Decide to explore a little further in hope of finding some easy loot.

Continue down corridor, which turns north. Run into 10 orcs scavenging for treasure as corner is rounded. Orcs draw weapons and prepare to fight. Snake attempts to parley in chaotic tongue but the orcs charge. Outnumbered--Team Evil flees.

They return back to town with no treasure and 12 xp each.

Adventure 2
Team Evil:

Sleepy Dwarf--Dwarf warrior with plate mail and mighty battle axe. Known for falling asleep on watch.

Snake--A mysterious thief

Team Evil finds two stone doors carved into the hillside. They choose first door and enter a corridor. Find a door. Snake listens and hears nothing. Party decides to enter. Small room with some debris and a hidden strongbox with 45 gp. Collect loot and return to corridor.

Come to large, 4-way intersection. Team chooses north. Find large chamber with debris and a silver candlestick worth 4 gp. While searching room for traps, treasures, and secret doors, 4 giant crab spiders scurry into the room!

Team Evil flees back to large intersection and turns west. Pass through odd shaped chamber into corridor. Travel west for a few minutes. Encounter 3 Morlocks when turning corner. Snake attempts to parley in chaotic tongue, but the Morlocks attack.

Sleepy and Snake take the front while Father Murphy loads a sling stone. Snake is instantly cut down by a Morlock's short blade!

Snake is slain!

Sleepy Dwarf battles for his life, and Father Murphy hits a Morlock with a sling stone.

Two Morlocks gang up on Sleepy now while the third charges at Father Murphy. The Father hurls another stone and misses, but Sleepy destroys a Morlock with his battle axe. Then Witchy Woman's magic missile slays another and the final Morlock surrenders.

"This is for Snake," says Sleepy as he beheads surrendered Morlock. 15xp.

Down a man and out of spells, Team Evil decides to return to town to rest and recruit new members.

Will post more misadventures later...

Mailer

Validated User
http://www.wizardawn.com/rpg/

Above is link to main generator that I'm using. It's really cool.

Adventure 3:

Team Evil is:

Ernie Keebler--Elf who grew tired of making cookies and left his tribe for a life of adventure.

Ronan--A savage warrior of great strength and skill.

Team Evil recruited two promising new members, an Elf named Ernie Keebler, and a savage warrior named Ronan.

Party set out for dungeon, locating a ladder leading down into a dark shaft. Party descends. Step off ladder at first landing and enter an archway into a chamber. Encounter 4 elves in a room with a stone table. Elves draw their weapons and seem uncertain about our motives.

After a long parley with the sexy Witchy Woman, the elves cautiously depart the room. Team Evil now spend a few minutes searching the chamber and find 3pp in a purple canvas bag.

Team evil descends a stone stair case to a heavy wooden door. Sleepy Dwarf, Ronan, and Ernie Keebler listen at the door but hear nothing. Party decides to enter room.

Large chamber with grand columns along the walls. Spiral stairs lead down, and another door at end of columned hall. Team Evil listens at the door but hears nothing, then enters. A small, seemingly empty square room. The party begins searching...

Other than a shallow puddle in the room, nothing is found. Party returns to spiral stairs and descends. 3 giant killer bees, each the about 2 feet long come buzzing up the spiral stairs, surprising Team Evil!

One of the bees stings Sleepy, but the rugged little Dwarf shakes it off and the bee drops dead after depositing stinger. Ronan hacks another bee out of the air with his sword, but one more still buzzes dangerously in the air.

It dives at Witchy Woman, just missing, when Sleepy whacks the deadly insect, killing it. The Party continues the descent down spiral stairs, where they locate a large chamber with a stale smell and a chasm in center of floor. Team evil returns back up stairs and back to ladder. XP 21

Team Evil descends ladder to bottom landing, then takes a flight of stairs down. 3 flights of stairs later, they are in a long, dark corridor standing near a door. Party listens at door but hears nothing so they enter...

This room has an elevator platform suspended on chain and wench. Party mounts platform and descends to first landing, where they find two doors and listen at both. At first door they hear a low, deep groan. Behind second door they hear fluttering and crackling.

Team Evil enters second door, where they encounter a red skinned, devilish Imp! The little beast flies right at Ronan and jams its razor tail right through the warrior's eye!

Ronan is slain!

Sleepy and Ernie Keebler attack the little devil but to no avail. Witchy Woman fires off a magic missile, knocking the beast back. Father Murphy is unable to get into the fight.

The imp flies right over the fighter heads and soars at Witchy Woman! The devil drives its razor tail right into her heart!

Witchy Woman is slain!

The three remaining members of Team Evil charge the imp--but only Father Murphy manages to get a whack in with his mace. Imp retaliates with tail, but unable to pierce sleepy's armor. But then the razor tail finds an opening and Sleepy is staggered, but not down.

The battle rages on, the man, dwarf, and elf swinging wildly at the flying beast. Finally Ernie Keebler strikes the killing blow, sending the beast crumpled to the floor. 83xp

The three close the door and take a moment to regroup.

Ernie Keebler: "But I was going to ask Witchy Woman out."

Sleepy: "In my experience, it is best to evacuate a dungeon after loosing a couple of companions."

Father Murphy: "At this rate, I'll never repay that gambling debt."

And so the party of three regroup and flee the dungeon. Back up the elevator, then up several flights of stairs, where they unfortunately encounter 3 giant toads and are surprised by the leaping beasts!

Luckily, Team Evil manages to draw their weapons before the frogs attack. Each of the three savagely hacks and bashes the giant toads, but they keep coming. One of the toads savagely bites Sleepy's leg, but somehow the dwarf keeps fighting.

But soon the toad overwhelms the injured dwarf and swallows him whole!

Sleepy dwarf is slain!

Father Murphy bashes his toad again with his mace, but the beast keeps coming! Now two giant toads are fighting Ernie Keebler. One gets a savage bite in but the elf fights on. The duo put up a noble fight, but are soon overcome by the giant toads and devoured.

Team Evil is slain!

Mailer

Validated User
Adventure 4:

And so it was that a new team of adventurers formed. Team Superior is:

Gary Potter--young magic user ready for adventure

Sir Dandy--the very clumsy son of a noble who has been forced out on a life of adventure to learn how to be a man in his father's eyes.

Oral Roberts--a heavily armed crusader for his god, The Lord.

Herself the Elf--this little elf just wants some excitement. And she wears a chain mail bikini.

Black Dougal--A sleazy thief if you ever saw one.

And so it was that Team Superior struck out for the Hills of Doom. They find a swollen door in the hillside and enter a dark stone chamber. It smells of manure, but Black Dougal finds a decent rope.

They descend a stone flight of stairs into a dark cave grotto where they encounter a troglodyte. The monster does not seem interested in a fight, so the party climbs down to a lower grotto, where they find a burning brazier, but nothing else of note.

Again, Team Superior climbs down to a lower grotto, where a single wolf guards a suit of mithril Chainmail. Herself the Elf and Sir Dandy stepped forth to deal with the animal. Herself nicked the beast with her sword and Sir Dandy made a show of pretending to fight. The wolf snarls and snaps.

Finally Sir Dandy steps forward and assists Herself the Elf in slaying the wolf. Herself dons the Mithril Plate and the party journeys forward. They descend stone stairs into a square chamber with a statue. 10xp

Party chooses west door and enters a long chamber...here are some ruined weapons on a rack, but a nice tower shield. A wood golum creaks to life and moves in for the attack. The battle rages, with neither side giving ground. Oral Roberts steps into the fight.

Herself chips at the wooden construct with her sword but it keeps fighting. Black Dougal has snuck into position for backstab. The four adventures make a coordinated effort to hack the wooden golum to pieces--it is destroyed! 59xp

Sir Dandy takes the tower shield, and Team Superior continues into the next chamber. In here the find only coal drawings of triangles. Passageway north and door west. Black Dougal listens at door, but hears nothing.

Inside, a debris strewn chamber with a passage leading nw. Party journeys corridor, and a branch in passage opens to wide steps leading to double doors. Party listens at door...but hear nothing, so they throw open doors and charge in.

Three hideous beholders float in this chamber with a raised statue! As the floating menaces approached, Team Superior slammed the doors shut and retreated back to corridor.

Come to more double doors, listening, Dougal hears someone walking around behind door--sounds like one person. Dandy and Herself the Elf kick the doors in. Inside a Dwarf leaps to his feet and grabs a Battle axe.

Sir Dandy steps forth to parley with the Dwarf. After tense negotiation, the Dwarf becomes friendly. Dwarf is a jailor, points to portcullis bars. But his prison is currently empty. Team Superior rests here for a time, then continues the delve.

Back tracking through the nw corridor, the party encounters 5 spitting cobras curled up on the floor! Team Superior retreats back to the prison room with the Dwarf and waits a few hours for the snakes to leave.

Cautiously, Team Superior goes back down the angled corridor. Snakes are gone now and eventually they reach an unexplored chamber...

Thick fog lingers in this room and a half eaten human corpse on the floor. Party spreads out to search room. Black Dougal fails to spot the trap, and 6' iron blades shoot up from the floor! The entire room filled with blades! Sir Dandy is impaled on a jutting blade and breathes his last! A blade shoots up through Herself the Elf's torso as she bends over to search. Blood shoots from her mouth! Black Dougal is impaled through the crotch!

Sir Dandy, Herself the Elf, and Black Dougal are slain!

Oral Roberts: "We must flee this dungeon!"

The remaining two members flee the dungeon without further event, hoping to rest, regroup, and recruit new members. 35 XP gained per member.

Collective_Restraint

Validated User
Hahaha, oh my god, so funny to read. Please continue. Also, why not paste a print screen of the dungeon they PCs were tackling ? That would be cool.

Mailer

Validated User
I have several more, I'll keep them coming over the next few days. I wish I could post screen shots of dungeons, but I generated and ran them right out of my iPad and didn't save them.

Oh, and they actually get even more funny and more tragic

Collective_Restraint

Validated User
Sweet, did some of them actually levelled up at one point ? I must admit, generating characters this fast to just go eahd and game right away full speed ahead must be refreshing (depending on how you usually game at least). I'd be tempted to run AD&D 2E in a similar way.

Mailer

Validated User
So far no leveling. A way down the line we have switched to ad&d hit dice and are gaining some ground. Yeah, it does play fast--characters are ready to run in about 15 mins and the random dungeon gen is fast and easy. B/X plays fast in general--multiple adventures occurring in a single session often.

Ground_Squirrel

Retired User
Sounds like great fun, I would love to play/run something like this sometime. Sadly none of my fellow players are interested in this style of gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom