B4 - The Lost City, Share Your Stories

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
I'm currently running the classic module The Lost City for my monthlyish D&D&D campaign (BECMI D&D, with booze, completely non serious) and I'm really enjoying the adventure. It feels like a precursor to more politics and social styles of gaming, mixed with some dungeon crawling and a lot of crazy people, and we've had a ton of fun with it.

I could see adventures in the Lost City going incredibly differently, depending on how the PCs handle the different factions and how things play out, and if you've ever played or run the module, I think it would be fun to compare stories on what happened.

countrysamurai

Validated User
I wish I had a lot of details to share with you but it was 30 years ago when I ran this one. The players were my younger siblings and my cousins. I was a young teenager. I do remember that I put a ton of time in to completing the additional levels of dungeon. There was a lot of it. Of course, I never got to run any of that additional stuff.

Evilhalfling

Validated User
I modified this to run as part of a paragon tier 4e game. I ignored the pyramid and concentrated action on the city below.
the lost warriors were all ultra powerful compared to surface dwellers (like 4e drow). I didn't use any maps from the adventure, and the city was set underground in the far north.

Slimy Doom : was a particularly nasty plague, when you got bloodied you would start taking ongoing damage, if it killed you you would become a Spawn of Zargon - capable of spreading the disease further. 4-5 days after infection you would wake up each morning with ongoing damage. within a week 85% of the victims had become spawn. Dismembering/burning the dead became an important survival tip. In order to stop the plague the PCs had to destroy Zargon, or at least stop his rebirth.

The maidens, the brotherhood and the magis all had compounds around the central lake from talking to misc citizens they found :

Most cycidceans know that the temple of slime is guarded by rotating groups from each of the three societies. They know that the societies do not do this willingly, and that each sect is controlled by their leaders in strongholds around the cavern.
During the day the PCs can enter the Z temple openly, but the route is filled will hundreds of worshipers.

They got an offer of help from the magi, to help defeat Zargon but didn't take them up on it.
They also broke into the maidens compound, and snuck around spying and stealing clothes/masks. They got to the temple, bluffed thier way past at least one society, and fought the guards from the other two.

In the temple of Zargon they faced at least three consecutive "High priests of Zargon" who were all minions that were appointed by the 2nd tier of priests, who actually ran the temple. the HP was usually even more insane than most cycidceans. One of the HPs actually killed a PC, running across the battlefield, eating at least one OA, so he could whack a dying PC - sending him into true death.

Zargon had not yet been reborn (thanks to some shortcuts taken earlier by PCs) So they killed the regenerating corpse, ending the creation of new spawn on Zargons. Although this still left quite a mess.

They then used his horn as an artifact weapon (+5 , which also caused a new Slime Plague, if a target was wounded then left alive) The wielder was immune to disease, otherwise he would have caught it as well.
He was offered the chance to use it on the last 2 sessions of the campaign, or put it away and attempt to destroy it. Since he chose to use it as a spear, it One Ringed him, and his character used it for the rest of his life, never quite getting around to destroying it.
his character was turned into an Epic level NPC occasionally mentioned in the next campaign.

Zargon will be reborn!

Last edited:

Pope Nag

5th Level Cleric of Eris
Validated User
I'm running it now, using ACKS. So far, the players have gotten as far as the catacombs. The first level left them wary of traps (rightly so), and they were rather careful until they ran into the Gormites. Due to some good rolls and clever thinking, they managed t persuade the leaders of all three factions to send along a neutral 'observer' on their quest to reach the city below the temple. All factions would like to see the Zargonites destroyed, if for wildly different reasons.

Obviously, it's not that easy, and there will be backstabbing aplenty.

As for the adventure itself, I'd reccomend trying to play up the dark emptyness of most of the pyramid. The upper levels are not too rough if your players pay attention (on lost a finger to the green slime, but that was about it). The catacombs can be murderous if they're not prepared. Of course, three of the PC's in my group can cast Protection from Evil, and most of the undead in the Catacombs attack by touch. So those fights were somewhat onesided.

They are prety confident, and though I plan on giving them a rougher time when they start running into Zargon worshippers, I think they'll prevail. Big Z himself is at the level of the city, inside his temple. I'm not planning on adding five more levels, because the players are getting a bit cocky. There's nothing like a gigantic far-more-hitdice-than-we-expected tentacle mostrosity to wake them up.

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
We're about to head to the catacombs next game ourselves, and I'm curious to see how they do. After raiding the Magi's storeroom for food and wine, there was definite discussion of just ditching this place and crossing the desert. They decided instead to continue dungeon exploring, and to cut and run if/when things get too difficult. There are definitely a couple of spots in the crypt where things might get too difficult if Turn Undead doesn't work out in their favor.

Pope Nag

5th Level Cleric of Eris
Validated User
We're about to head to the catacombs next game ourselves, and I'm curious to see how they do. After raiding the Magi's storeroom for food and wine, there was definite discussion of just ditching this place and crossing the desert. They decided instead to continue dungeon exploring, and to cut and run if/when things get too difficult. There are definitely a couple of spots in the crypt where things might get too difficult if Turn Undead doesn't work out in their favor.
In my campaign, the Magi are boastful and proud, claiming to control the 'twelve spells of creation'. When my players figured out they were talking about first level spells, there was much rolling of the eyes. Of course, charm and sleep can do quite a lot of damage when played right...

At first, I ditched the wandering monster tables for the catacombs, as it made no sense to have people and animals just wandering there. Later, I just replaced all of the rolls wth 'pack of slobbering ghouls'. That made it a lot more logical, and kept up the tension somewhat. Twenty ghouls is not something to take lightly. Also, consider in advance which of the creatures in the catacombs count as undead. Perhaps banshees do not, although their screech ability makes a mockery of protection from evil anyway.

Top Bottom