• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Barsoom-esque RPGs

Vargold

AKA MalteseChangeling
Validated User
Surprised that the John Carter trailer hasn't already sparked this thread . . .

What is the current state of the art where planetary romance RPGs are concerned? I know that we have Adamant's Mars supplement in both its D20 and Savage Worlds incarnations. And I know that most of the generic RPG games on the market can support planetary romance play--but which ones have actually done so in print?

Mythos

Barking Mad
Validated User
While there is no setting in currently on the market for them, I would recommend Barbarians of Lemuria and Barbarians of the Aftermath.
In particular, BotA has a toolbox structure that allows a GM to create any setting that they desire. Combine that with the mutation rules and it becomes obvious that you can create any alien race, or creature, that you want to populate your world setting.
The rules on tech, and weapons, have enough leeway that you can have anything from simple ground cars up to, and including, stately floating airships the size of battleships. With crews armed with swords and ray guns.

Being a little more direct to your question. There is a pdf floating around on the net for a sword and sorcery game titled, "Under the Moons of Zoon". It contains all the rules to be playable right from the download. Also, imo, it is flexible enough to be converted to your favorite system.

Edit; There is a supplement for the Swords and Wizardy retro game. Savage Swords of Athanor is a sword and planet setting that has all you need to make the cross over from fantasy to s&p.

Last edited:

DeusExBiotica

Obsessed
Validated User
I would use the FATE system, especially Spirit Of The Century, for that genre. It's pulp-tastic, it can smoothly handle PCs of wildly different backgrounds and specialties, and it's fun as hell.

Flynn

Validated User
Savage Mars is designed to be exactly that. I own a (pdf) copy of it, but haven't run a game with it. It seems like a fine effort to me.

Arevashti

Aspiring World-Builder
Validated User
Savage Worlds, SotC, or you could cobble something together out of GURPS. I've also heard tell of there being Pathfinder-compatible sword-and-planet material in the works.

MikeM

Validated User
I ran a few adventures based on John Carter of Mars using Adventure!
Mind you, I would try to run anything with Adventure! Pulp, contemporary action heroes, low level supers, planetary romance.
I still haven't had a chance to run a western using Adventure! :)

Maxwell Luther

Validated User
While there is no setting in currently on the market for them, I would recommend Barbarians of Lemuria and Barbarians of the Aftermath.
In particular, BotA has a toolbox structure that allows a GM to create any setting that they desire. Combine that with the mutation rules and it becomes obvious that you can create any alien race, or creature, that you want to populate your world setting.
The rules on tech, and weapons, have enough leeway that you can have anything from simple ground cars up to, and including, stately floating airships the size of battleships. With crews armed with swords and ray guns.
+1. Barbarians of Lemuria is the right rules set for recreating the pulp feel of Burroughs adventures and Barbarians of the Aftermath adds the extra stuff to make it a perfect Swords & Planets style fit.

Top Bottom