• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Battletech CLAN INVASION Box!

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
For that to change, you’d need a big new edition release, with lots of marketing everywhere, to move BT from the ‘hella niche’ slot to the ‘sold in most FLGSs’ slot. Nowhere near GW numbers, but a lot more than they have now.
That could have happened, had the 25th Anniversary box not been late, and if they'd made enough of the current one. This is all circular. If they can't get enough product out even to satisfy the hardcore fans like us, how is the game going to grow?

macd21

Validated User
That could have happened, had the 25th Anniversary box not been late, and if they'd made enough of the current one. This is all circular. If they can't get enough product out even to satisfy the hardcore fans like us, how is the game going to grow?
It’s not. Like I said, catch-22. Getting it out of this rut would require a big investment, and a big investment is a big gamble for a small company. Especially as it would require a big revamp, which could potentially alienate the current fan base.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
It’s not. Like I said, catch-22. Getting it out of this rut would require a big investment, and a big investment is a big gamble for a small company. Especially as it would require a big revamp, which could potentially alienate the current fan base.
There are ways to get investment, the Kickstarter is a good start. I don't know what the returns are like for having a retailer pledge level, but it's something they need to consider if they want to create market confidence. That said, it's something that needs to be managed carefully (because a lot of those deals have fucked over retailers) and I don't know if Catalyst still have the goodwill to make a go of it.

macd21

Validated User
There are ways to get investment, the Kickstarter is a good start. I don't know what the returns are like for having a retailer pledge level, but it's something they need to consider if they want to create market confidence. That said, it's something that needs to be managed carefully (because a lot of those deals have fucked over retailers) and I don't know if Catalyst still have the goodwill to make a go of it.
KS can be a way to get investment, and I hope they follow this up with something bigger. At the very least it will give some indication of demand. But I think that as long as they keep pitching their products to existing fans, the game isn’t going to grow much.

Albertorius

Validated User
A handful of posters on a thread does not demonstrate sufficient popularity to justify a larger product rollout. Popularity > Availability isn’t enough.
Maybe local stores over here (Madrid, Spain's capital) not being able to get hold of (preordered) boxes for more than six months would demonstrate it? I mean, going only from the stores I know and talk with the staff, we're talking of about 60 boxes, just here, that people haven't been able to buy.

macd21

Validated User
Maybe local stores over here (Madrid, Spain's capital) not being able to get hold of (preordered) boxes for more than six months would demonstrate it? I mean, going only from the stores I know and talk with the staff, we're talking of about 60 boxes, just here, that people haven't been able to buy.
That would suggest they’re waiting on enough orders to justify a print run, and haven’t gotten there yet.

macd21

Validated User
Since last year? That surely won't make people lose interest.
It’s the fate of niche games that aren’t able to support a greater production schedule.

I’m guessing BT could probably sell two or three times their current numbers, but their potential customers are spread too thin on the ground. So they have to wait until demand for a given product rises to a given level, at which point they order another run, the pent-up demand results in it selling out quickly, and then the demand for more starts rising slowly again. Retailers aren’t willing to order much (if any) product above the pent-up demand, because they know that the extra units are likely to set on the shelves for months (or years) longer than something like Star Wars.

Albertorius

Validated User
It’s the fate of niche games that aren’t able to support a greater production schedule.

I’m guessing BT could probably sell two or three times their current numbers, but their potential customers are spread too thin on the ground. So they have to wait until demand for a given product rises to a given level, at which point they order another run, the pent-up demand results in it selling out quickly, and then the demand for more starts rising slowly again. Retailers aren’t willing to order much (if any) product above the pent-up demand, because they know that the extra units are likely to set on the shelves for months (or years) longer than something like Star Wars.
Well, we're not talking about being able to get expansions or whatnot... here we're talking about people not being able to buy the dang game to begin with, when they just have released it, the year that a Battletech computer game had just been released, with the cross promotion opportunities that entails.

Anything they could possibly have gained from that they have lost.

macd21

Validated User
Well, we're not talking about being able to get expansions or whatnot... here we're talking about people not being able to buy the dang game to begin with, when they just have released it, the year that a Battletech computer game had just been released, with the cross promotion opportunities that entails.
Yes. Again, that’s the reality of tabletop BT right now.

Top Bottom