• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Battletech CLAN INVASION Box!

Albertorius

Validated User
Interestingly, I had no problems getting the previous two boxed sets, which might mean either a reduced output or an increased demand.

macd21

Validated User
Part of the problem is just BT’s business model, which isn’t great. You don’t need that many minis to play, and the game doesn’t scale upward very well, so there’s not much incentive to get many more, outside of collectors.

macd21

Validated User
Interestingly, I had no problems getting the previous two boxed sets, which might mean either a reduced output or an increased demand.
Quite possibly increases demand, given the release of the computer game finally drawing more interest to the TT.

BrianDR

Validated User
Again, it’s not a matter of no one wanting them. It’s about not enough people wanting them. They base their decisions on printing/production numbers based on demand from stores (both brick and mortar and online), and those outlets are not willing to commit to big numbers due to lack of interest. Yes, stores go out of stock - that’s because they only order a very small number, and only put in a new order once they sell out, and then for only another very small number. Most stores don’t order any at all, and if they do, they don’t bother restocking afterwards.

If the game was more popular, people would be clamoring for more and CGL would be happily churning them out. But the demand just isn’t there.
Again, when I asked the stores about stock (major online stores not just my local lgs), they say something like "a lot of people have been asking about that, but we can't get stock from the vendor" or "we weren't able to get as much as we wanted". Other people here are reporting similar.

I get that what you're describing is often the cause in cases like this, but you're being strangely dogmatic about it given the contrary evidence (including some stories suggesting that, yes, catalyst has some self-inflicted cash flow problems), and you haven't offered much evidence for your theory other than repeated insistence.

Gallowglacht

Validated User
Yeah. Your argument is clear. We understand your argument. We disagree with it being the sole issue and believe that self-inflicted cash flow issues and bad customer service are also factors.

macd21

Validated User
Again, when I asked the stores about stock (major online stores not just my local lgs), they say something like "a lot of people have been asking about that, but we can't get stock from the vendor" or "we weren't able to get as much as we wanted". Other people here are reporting similar.

I get that what you're describing is often the cause in cases like this, but you're being strangely dogmatic about it given the contrary evidence (including some stories suggesting that, yes, catalyst has some self-inflicted cash flow problems), and you haven't offered much evidence for your theory other than repeated insistence.
The contrary evidence you’re providing doesn’t establish your case. You see the same thing every time a not-that-popular game finally manages to release something, people complain about not being able to get it, stores say they can’t get stock from the vendor (because of course they can’t), and that’s that.

There’s nothing in this situation to suggest that the line is being mismanaged, it’s just a pretty normal state of affairs for a product that’s mostly catering to a small number of hardcore fans and a few new customers.

The only possible difference this time round is that there’s an increase in interest due to the computer game’s release, but that doesn’t change the fact that CGL wouldn’t have been able to produce more sets than demanded by retailers without a massive gamble. The KS is probably a way for them to gauge whether a larger run is viable without crippling themselves.

HidaO-Win

Hida Without Fear
Validated User
The game to compare Battletech to is not 40K, but X-Wing. Similar small model count.
X-Wing has a much bigger IP, much more investment, much better distribution and much more resources available to it. Although this doesnt usually matter, X-Wing has much more modern and superior rules. Any foray into the market requires it to compete with X-Wing.

I think the Kickstarter will sell well for the models, I have my doubts about how well it’ll sell the game.

AlphaAsh

Miserable Git
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I had a chat with Leisure Games in London about this. Boiling down what I discovered to a few points:

- Leisure Games has managed to get the two new box sets in the past.
- It takes months for an order to be filled.
- It sells out pretty much as soon as they get it.
- They are constantly re-ordering the two box-sets, because of demand.

Direct quote: "There might be a problem with their distribution." <- Refering to Catalyst.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The contrary evidence you’re providing doesn’t establish your case. You see the same thing every time a not-that-popular game finally manages to release something, people complain about not being able to get it, stores say they can’t get stock from the vendor (because of course they can’t), and that’s that.

There’s nothing in this situation to suggest that the line is being mismanaged, it’s just a pretty normal state of affairs for a product that’s mostly catering to a small number of hardcore fans and a few new customers.

The only possible difference this time round is that there’s an increase in interest due to the computer game’s release, but that doesn’t change the fact that CGL wouldn’t have been able to produce more sets than demanded by retailers without a massive gamble. The KS is probably a way for them to gauge whether a larger run is viable without crippling themselves.
I have been chatting on Facebook about this with Catalyst staff, and it's not lack of interest at all as you are suggesting. They are on their 3rd printing of the Core Box set, with more on the way. It seems totally a cashflow problem, they don't seem to have the money to print more than what they do.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
Yes. Again, that’s the reality of tabletop BT right now.
I think it's a position Catalyst have put themselves in. Mechwarrior Online came out in what, 2012? It's not like Battletech hasn't had consistent popularity and (free) outreach for years. Other people grow the game *for* Catalyst, and they fumble over and over again.

Top Bottom