• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Battletech] Getting started in Battletech?

Dirk Desiato

Gigan!
Validated User
Not for me, I have been playing Battletech since 1988 or so, but I want to run some demo games at me FLGS and the Introductory Box Set is currently OOP. What should I point to a new player to get? Most items seem to be .pdf files. Are they still making map packs?

(Oops! Too many "t"s in my heading...)

Last edited:

Kargush

Free range Norwegian snow monkey
Banned
Validated User
Re: [Batttletech] Getting started in Battletech?

I don't think they make map packs, but the old ones might still be tracked down online. As for the rest, Total Warfare for the rules, should be available in hardcover. They still make TROs, those might be useful if someone wants more toys to play with. Mech models, there's both the usual stuff from Ironwind Metals, and the cheaper (?) Alpha Strike mechs. They all look pretty bad. Some people use models from other lines (such as Macross mecha). Others again use chits. And some people 3d print based on models from the video games.

But rules first, miniatures second. There's also Alpha Strike if you want something that's faster to play (or so I hear).

orangefruitbat

Validated User

The introductory box should still widely available as it was reprinted in 2014. I know the Sentry Box in Calgary has it. They do mail order.

Not for me, I have been playing Battletech since 1988 or so, but I want to run some demo games at me FLGS and the Introductory Box Set is currently OOP. What should I point to a new player to get? Most items seem to be .pdf files. Are they still making map packs?

(Oops! Too many "t"s in my heading...)

Dirk Desiato

Gigan!
Validated User

I love Alpha Strike too and will be demoing that later. I am hoping that the new Battlemech rulebook is ready soon. TW is a wonderful book but way too much for starting players imho.

Some of the new Ironwind minis love good, I need that new Shadow Hawk!

Kargush

Banned
Validated User

A friend of mine got his mechs off of a Russian site, Warhansa. 1/300-scale mechs. They look very good.

jimthegray

Validated User

i have seen the interductory box in stores at least a couple of months ago, i can look around town and let you know if i find one
its a great buy

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User

I love Alpha Strike as it still captures the spirit of BT but it's much faster and easier to learn.

Also, the plastic mech packs from CCG are a pretty good deal: good price and good quality. Although if you can track the Introductory Box Set, go with that one first, it will give you solid maps, miniatures...

Marc A. Vezina

Lapsed Industry Veteran
Validated User

A friend of mine got his mechs off of a Russian site, Warhansa. 1/300-scale mechs. They look very good.
As well they should, since they are obviously 3D prints of the game model files from Mechwarrior Online. Just sayin'.

Kargush

Banned
Validated User

As well they should, since they are obviously 3D prints of the game model files from Mechwarrior Online. Just sayin'.
This is well known.

It is, indeed, one of the reasons my friend bought them. He's a fan of battletech and plays MWO. They look a little odd next to his collection of old metal miniatures, but it works.

Last edited:

Dirk Desiato

Gigan!
Validated User

After looking around a bit these would be my suggestions for a new Battletech player:

A: Track down a copy of the Introductory Box Set. Hopefully finding one at a good price.

Or

B: Go to DriveThruRPG and get "Total Warfare" (A bit heavy on info but it is the current rules), "The Rules of Warfare" for the full old-school rules, or "Citytech" as that has lots of rules at a great price.

Then either get some minis or use cardboard stand-ups like the good old days!:D

Top Bottom