Battletech Questions

Tremere

Banned
Validated User
Although I have no idea how you would integrate the RPG side of things with Cortex Plus into using the Battletech mini game for mech combat. No idea how I would meld the 2 together...RPG + mini game.

Tremere

Banned
Validated User
How many of you use alternate RPG systems for Mechwarrior/Battletech and what system do you use? How do you integrate it into the Battletech miniature game?

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
By fiat. Battletech only has the two skills for pilots and a standard skill rating that things are balanced at: 4 gunnery, 5 piloting. Give everyone that. Have them all advance to the Veteran level when it feels like they've done enough to level up, or just keep it constant throughout the game, with improvement coming through getting better 'Mechs.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
I haven't actually done so yet, but if I was going to run a game for my group this weekend, here's what I would do:

Create characters using Tachyon Squadron for Fate Core, interpreting any mention of starfighters as referring to battlemechs. Let them pick a mech to pilot that makes sense given whatever campaign premise we've settled on (mercenary lance, for example). Optionally, let them give their mech an aspect to make it unique.

Take their PCs' Pilot and Gunnery skill ratings in Fate and subtract them from 7 to convert to a BattleTech rating. Run battles using either the full BT rules or Alpha Strike, depending on how much time we want to spend on it.

At the start of each battle, give PCs bonus fate points based on their mech's weight class: 3 for light, 2 for medium, 1 for heavy (assault mech pilots get none). These points are lost if they're not spend by the end of the battle.

Let players use their aspects as normal during the fight, spending fate points to use them advantageously and gaining fate points when they work against them. As with normal Fate rules, each use of an aspect is worth either +/-2 or a reroll on any 2d6 roll. Also let them use their skills (including Tactics and Technology, which are part of Tachyon Squadron's fighter pilot package but don't directly convert to BT) to create advantages. Also come up with at least one aspect for the opposing force, possibly more if the story warrants it.

After the battle, if any PCs or important NPCs took pilot wounds, convert that back to Fate Core. 1 wound is 2 physical stress, 2 wounds is a full physical stress track, and each after that is a physical consequence. Incapacitated pilots are Taken Out, but not necessarily dead; PCs always survive (found unconscious in the wreckage, ejected at the last possible moment, etc) unless the player agrees they should have been killed. For NPCs, obviously it's up to the GM, but if the players are attached to them I might let them invoke a relevant aspect to save their bacon. If they get into another battle before recovering (or have taken stress or consequences outside their mech) convert that back to pilot wounds at the start.

cheeplives

Inconsequential
Validated User
How many of you use alternate RPG systems for Mechwarrior/Battletech and what system do you use? How do you integrate it into the Battletech miniature game?
I run it under a highly modified One Roll Engine/REIGN ruleset. I've completely ported over the BattleMech combat piece to ORE as well... we use d12s so your hit locations map directly to the Hit Locations in Battletech... otherwise, it runs pretty similar to the boardgame, albeit a bit faster with the tweaks.

Ante

Validated User
The boardgame is great fun, but way too detailed to break out in a RPG session, so if I were not to use the Savage Worlds adaption (which would be my first suggestion), I would use MechWarrior 2nd ed and Alpha Strike for mech combat. Alpha Strike might be designed for making bigger combats feasible, but it also works as a great accelerator for the regular boardgame.

So, Savage Battletech first hand and second hand MechWarrior 2nd ed/Alpha Strike. That's how I would run it, and have been tempted to do it for ages.

Galadrin

Validated User
I modified Alpha Strike and can get a lance vs lance game (ten 'Mechs total) done in 20 minutes flat. It's not a bad suggestion to use it for RPGs.

Ante

Validated User
I modified Alpha Strike and can get a lance vs lance game (ten 'Mechs total) done in 20 minutes flat. It's not a bad suggestion to use it for RPGs.
May I ask what modifications you did? I've so far played it straight and found it working quite well.

Galadrin

Validated User
May I ask what modifications you did? I've so far played it straight and found it working quite well.
Oh man, I really went to town on it. I ended up writing campaign rules that were inspired by Mordheim, among other things. The first and biggest change I did though was to throw out all the phases and simply say "each player takes turns acting with one 'Mech" and that includes doing all the movement, shooting and melee attacks at once. I also simplified and adjusted all the modifiers to reward continual movement and changed the heat rules so that heat would play a bigger role. I didn't do all these changes because I don't like Alpha Strike as written though... I just realized that there was enough structure there for me to make my favorite version of Battletech out of it with a little work.

Top Bottom