• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

BattleTech (the new boxed sets/edition) A game of pew-pew stompy-stomp.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
How are the plastic minis that comes with the box?

The posing looks more dynamic than the old metal mechs, but is the detailing any good, and does the plastic take paint well?
They are the best plastics released so far for BT. Good size/scale between mechs, good quality (but still, not comparable to plastics from other top miniature companies). The poses though still feel very passive to me.

SirFozzie

Validated User
Ok: In short, Forever Faithful deals with two characters who were thought dead after the Great Refusal

Spoiler: Show
The Smoke Jaguar "traitor", Trent, (the man who had given the 2nd Star League the Exodus Road that they used in Task Force Serpent to take out the clan, and eventually to win the Great Refusal that ended the war, and his tormentor, Paul Moon. Trent (who nearly died in the Nova Cat's battle in the Great Refusal), was now known as Baldur, and Moon doesn't know who Baldur really is until halfway through the book

The two main characters decide to break away a core of the defeated Smoke Jaguar. Not to reform the Clan, per se, but to allow its spirit to persevere. They manage a version of Kerensky's escape from Star League controlled-Huntress (also being pursued by Clan Goliath Scorpion) to Wayside V, one of Clan Smoke Jaguar's greatest defeats (to a not-really combined force of the Northwind Highlanders, and a band of Nova Cats lured to the planet by the Highlanders.)

The Goliath Scorpion actually track them back to Wayside V, and a Galaxy Commander decides they are going to actually chase them for the full year the trip takes, even though the Smoke Jaguar remnant has a 3 month head start.

In the final battle on Wayside V:

The Smoke Jaguar remnant defeat the Goliath Scorpion in battle, and as part of the battle's terms, are forbidden from disclosing the secret location of the Smoke Jaguar. Trent/Baldur dies in battle, but he had a vision of what the Smoke Jaguar could be: Always Faithful.

The Smoke Jaguar remnant renames themselves the Fidelis, and remains unmolested for almost a decade, when the Word of Blake tries a "Join or die", thinking that the Fidelis are the Not-Named Clan, but the Fidelis basically mousetrapped them, take all their people, etcetera. When you have a Warship ready to fire on Dropships as they land, and the enemy knows nothing about it, it becomes a turkey shoot (they literally say "Leave one DropShip alive, nuke the others"). Stung by the arrogance and tactics of the Word of Blake, the Fidelis travel to Devlin Stone and offer their fealty, under a couple terms. One of which is that the origins of the Fidelis are not revealed. The other is that the Fidelis will take part in the Battle of Terra.

There are two ends to the book. One of which:

Has Victor Steiner-Davion admitting (years later in 3130) in writing that he was wrong about Trent, and treated him wrongly. Of course, he then removes that section, because to reveal the Fidelis's secret could likely touch off another war.

And the other?

Is the Fidelis taking place in the Battle of Terra, from which I will copy the section involved:

Paul stepped down the gangway. “All units, remain aboard until I am done.” He reached the bottom of the gangway, but stopped short of standing on Terra. He opened his Elemental armor’s hatch and let the hot late-summer breeze of mankind’s homeworld hit him. Our people have waited long for this Great Redemption, as Inanna named it. Our chance to prove that we and we alone hold the true honor that the Clans claim to cherish so dearly. Moon pulled out a small metallic canister and opened it. “You were here first, my old comrade,” he said, spilling the contents onto the red clay of Terra. Trent’s ashes blew in the breeze across the dry grass. “You are the first of our people to touch Terra. This makes you the greatest of the Clan warriors and us the ilClan, regardless of what Devlin Stone and Prince Victor have been misled to think.” When the canister was empty, he tossed it into the distance. “We have remained faithful—and always will.” He closed his suit and activated the tactical channel again. “Fidelis—deploy!”

So. while this book takes place in 3067-3078 and later in 3130, this is going to have some interesting side effects in the current state of the timeline, where the Wolf Clan are attempting to take Terra.

Per Andersson

Tired and emotional
Validated User
While I'm asking about the minis, are the plastic Mechs only available in the starter set and beginners box at the moment?
And are the Mechs in the beginners box also available in the bigget starter set, or are they unique to that box?

Cirlot

Validated User
[...]

So. while this book takes place in 3067-3078 and later in 3130, this is going to have some interesting side effects in the current state of the timeline, where the Wolf Clan are attempting to take Terra.
Presuming the novel gets treated as canon: for the longest time novelizations and BT media were treated as . .. interpretations of histories and subject to a kind of global unreliable narrator problem in comparison to the gameline splatbooks. Don't know if Catalyst is taking the same approach now, but I wouldn't be surprised.

My two immediate reactions are 1) general grognard-esque grumbling over BT's fiction's unerring focus on the writer/devs current clan/faction in vogue in ascendancy (but t'was always ever thus) and 2) who do I have to throw money at over at Catalyst to get a print copy of Fall from Grace or Fall from Glory available? I need my Star League/early clan fix! Or, heck, epub or PDF - I wasn't signed up with Battlecorps back when they were being serialized!

While I'm asking about the minis, are the plastic Mechs only available in the starter set and beginners box at the moment?
And are the Mechs in the beginners box also available in the bigget starter set, or are they unique to that box?
Right now only the Beginners Box has the Griffin. It also comes with a Wolverine but that model is also in the Core Box set. It's a distressingly clever bit of marketing on their part as to get the classic 55-ton trio (Wolverine, Griffin, Shadowhawk) you need to buy both box sets. A few solo Griffins with the new sculpt are popping up on ebay but the current price is something like $11 for the one mini.

. . . I might have been looking. For a friend.

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
You know, I wonder if some of the storyline events are taken from actual games played by the developers, or if it's just a "what sounds cool to us" kind of thing.

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
Presuming the novel gets treated as canon: for the longest time novelizations and BT media were treated as . .. interpretations of histories and subject to a kind of global unreliable narrator problem in comparison to the gameline splatbooks.
As far as I understand it, everything in the novels is considered canon as long as it doesn't explicitly contradict a detail given in a sourcebook.

You know, I wonder if some of the storyline events are taken from actual games played by the developers, or if it's just a "what sounds cool to us" kind of thing.
In the past they have run official storyline events at conventions where the outcomes became canonized in the fiction.

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
As far as I understand it, everything in the novels is considered canon as long as it doesn't explicitly contradict a detail given in a sourcebook.

In the past they have run official storyline events at conventions where the outcomes became canonized in the fiction.
Isn't that how Tukkayid or the Great Refusal came out?

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The mechs are only available on the boxes. One mech from the beginner box is repeated (I think a Griffin), but another is unique (I think a Wolverine, or it could be the other way around).

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I didn't want to give money to Palladium. I have access to a resin printer, so I'll have to try to print a few on my own...
Here's one. Minimalistix has another version with the missile bays closed; and a bunch more designs. Thingverse in general is a great source of battletech .stl files.

Top Bottom