• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Belated Realisations part 2: I Can't Believe It Took Me A Second Thread!

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It happens frequently

Bugs Bunny sarcastically calling Elmer Fudd "Nimrod" single-handledly changed the meaning from "Legendary Great Hunter" to "Moron / Idiot"
There', of course,e Apocalypse, meaning revelation, as in Revelation of St. John.
But I guess this one as old as feudalism.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
"Sirrah" is another one that's lost it's original meaning. It seems to be used as a generic medieval address now, rather than an explicit way of addressing an inferior.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
There', of course,e Apocalypse, meaning revelation, as in Revelation of St. John.
But I guess this one as old as feudalism.
On a similar note...

A couple words used often with no concept of the pretty heavy historical connotation behind them.

"Pandemonium" and (much more-so, given the real world context) "Bedlam".

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
On a similar note...

A couple words used often with no concept of the pretty heavy historical connotation behind them.

"Pandemonium" and (much more-so, given the real world context) "Bedlam".
I thought pandemonium literally meant ‘all hell has broken loose’

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
I thought pandemonium literally meant ‘all hell has broken loose’
Kinda! It was the fortress/palace built by Satan and the other fallen angels in the center of Hell in Milton's Paradise Lost.

So people really aren't using it wrong when they mean, "man, this situation is chaotic!" But they also don't usually mean the literal geographic source of all that is willfully evil in creation. 😜

Ysidro

Validated User
And a deliberate antonym for "pantheon", probably in its meaning of "a temple of all the gods".
I literally realized the other day that "pantheon" meant something along the lines of "all" and "gods" and head promptly met desk.

Top Bottom