• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Belated Realisations part 2: I Can't Believe It Took Me A Second Thread!

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
Also wasn't at least one of the inspirations for The Prisoner someone asking him at a party jokingly so what does a secret agent do now that he's retired, and McGoohan thinking to himself that's a good question?
Hard to say, really. I'm far from an expert on the show, but I had a buddy who loved it back in the day and was hip to all the theories about it. From what he would say, and what I've read about it, McGoohan and the other supposed creator (who McGoohan never really acknowledged as co-creator) had differing accounts about how they came up with the show, what the show was about, and pretty much everything. And McGoohan himself only gave a few interviews about the show and contradicted his own story a few times. Plus, he liked playing with expectations and misleading people, so sometimes he would flat-out lie about what was going on in the show or what he meant by this or that. As far as I can tell, for example, he absolutely refused to give a direct answer on just what the fuck was going on with the final episode, "Fall Out."

So in my 20s I first came across the show thanks to this gaming buddy, watched the whole thing in like a week, and was starting to obsess about it. My buddy and I would talk about it every day. I even tracked down the graphic novel that was supposed to be the sequel, Shattered Visage. And then I was reading some interview with McGoohan in which he more-or-less stated flat out that he had no interest in explaining anything about that show.

And I realized it was a mystery without a solution, a big exploration into surrealism that shouldn't be taken too seriously or literally because the creator of it wasn't interested in "what it all means," he was just trying to play around with ideas. Kept me from obsessing over it, although my buddy stuck with his fandom longer than we gamed together.

King Snarf

Validated User
On The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, occasionally they've done big adventure episodes where Mickey dons a familiar looking fedora and leather jacket and becomes "Kansas City Mickey". For a while, I just thought it was a simple, uninspired homage. Today, however while watching it (putting Disney Junior on keeps my dog quiet, as does PBS and, oddly, Buzzr/ Game Show Network), I thought, "Hey, wait, wasn't WALT from Kansas City...?"

AbjectQuestioner

Low SAN Score
Validated User
Here's a particularly sad one. It woke me out of a sound sleep the other night.

Bugs Bunny's What's Opera, Doc? (1957) . . . "What's up, Doc?"

I only just got that the title is a soundalike pun.

I feel terrible.

Herald@Large

You want it WHEN?
Validated User
One of the interesting things about that cartoon is that although the music is all Wagner, it isn't all from the Ring Cycle. The opening theme is the overture from The Flying Dutchman, and the big love duet is from Tannhauser!

Little Rabbit Foo Foo

Validated User
I'm not sure whether this one is intended, or is just a coincidence that I'm reading too much into (but then that could describe half the thread...)

In The X-Files, there's a season six two-parter called Dreamland and Dreamland II, in which during a visit to Area 51 Mulder gets buzzed by a plane using experimental space-warp technology of alien origin. The technology malfunctions, and results in Mulder being body-swapped by one of the Area 51 personnel. The rest of the two-parter is about how he tries to get back into his own body without arousing suspicion that he's not the man whose life he's taken over; while the man who has taken over his life doesn't want to change back and starts hitting on Scully.

So far so good.

The eventual resolution of the episode pair is that the space warp was also a time warp and it's unstable. The time warp ends up snapping back undoing everything that's happened - except for two things, because they were outside the area when the snap-back occurred. One is that Scully has two coins in her office drawer that were "merged" by the space-warp. The other is that Mulder now inexplicably has a water bed (it was bought by the Area 51 guy while in Mulder's body to aid in seducing Scully). At the time, these two anomalies are treated as a joke. No-one remembers what has happened, so they're completely unexplained.

Later in season six, there's an episode called Monday, which is similar to Groundhog Day in that the same day keeps repeating. The day in question is one in which Mulder and Scully get killed in a botched bank robbery (the bank robber detonates an explosive vest when it goes wrong). The day repeats over and over again - we only see it happen half a dozen times over the course of the episode, but it's implied that it happens hundreds, if not thousands, of times. The day eventually stops repeating when things change enough to prevent the explosion.

It would seem that these two episodes are completely independent of each other, other than both being about time disturbances.

However...

An important point in Monday is that Mulder's water bed has sprung a leak. That's what makes him late for work and makes him need to go to the bank and therefore interrupt the robbery and cause the explosion. Mulder waking up to the leak is what starts the whole sequence of events each time through the loop.

It may just be coincidence, but this is the only time the water bed is seen or mentioned outside the Dreamland episode in which it is introduced. In episodes later than Monday, it's gone and replaced by a normal bed - Mulder presumably having disposed of it after it leaked.

So the thing that starts the time loop in Monday is the breaking down of the unstable artifact left over from the destroyed time line in Dreamland. The time loop is being caused by that breaking down, and the loop only stops when Mulder survives the day long enough to dispose of it.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
I just found out there actually is a species of bird called the lovebird. I’d always thought it was just an expression.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
I just realized that the term "tin can" was almost certainly coined to distinguish the new modern innovation from a normal can-- i.e. a glass jar

Top Bottom