• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

BESM 4th Edition Announced

Kreuzritter

Validated User
BESM's success was kind of a zeitgeist thing. it was produced at the exact moment the 90's anime boom kicked off, with relatively fast and quirky gameplay. Mackinnon was also lucky enough to jump on the bandwagon so early that he got the Sailor Moon license for effectively peanuts just as its original dub went mainstream

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
It was a fairly cinematic, moderate crunch rules-light generic system - which didn't quite go in the same narrative-control directions that FATE would go in, but still being more rules light than HERO and GURPS. And, yes, it helped that they the got licenses to do sourcebooks for Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo, Trigun, Serial Experiments Lain and Hellsing when they all first got big.

(They also almost got the Evangelion license, but they put out a press release before the paperwork was signed and GAINAX pulled out of the deal).

jcfiala

Code Monkey
Validated User
And, depending on which version of the system you went in on, it had some neat rules-light touches. For instance, in the first edition if you had a giant robot, then you just bought a 'Owns a Giant Robot' attribute that you would then use with attack rolls. :) Later versions of the game system got more and more crunchy - personally I'm more a fan of the 2nd edition than the 3rd.

I'm curious to see what happens with the 4th edition, mechanicswise.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
I never thought I'd see this day. I'm weirdly excited about it. BESM was one of my favorite games back in the day and MacKinnon was one of my favorite fanfic authors, so it occupied this odd place in the Venn diagram of my fandoms.

Edit: I also hope this means we finally get to see an expanded "Anime Multiverse" series of supplements for the settings that were included in brief at the end of BESM 3E.

Last edited:

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
I enjoyed all three editions, my favourite was probably 3rd edition. I preferred roll over and I liked that the game was super modular so you could run it as light as 1st edition or as heavy as the system could handle. Hoping this follows on from 3rd. Not a fan of that cover though, the perspective looks really wonky.

Vessiel

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Everything above. It was a good, flexible rules light game. I ran a 3 year fantasy campaign in 2nd ed, as well as several shorter games, and am seriously considering going back to it to continue my DnD 5e campaign that is getting bogged down around 8th level. It's fast and easy and very flexible and easily modable. Its not balanced by default, but when broken it is (with one huge exception) still broken in a fun way.

All of this is 1st and 2nd Ed, btw. 3rd lost most of what made 2nd fun - the simplicity. I could enjoy making characters in it, but it bogged down actually doing it for a group and running it. Wheras 2nd ed was the fastest game I'd ever run, faster than Fate (which tends to bog down on the players considering actions/creativity side rather than rules).

Last edited:

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
Dyskami Publishing Company announced today that it has entered into a worldwide licensing arrangement with White Wolf Entertainment to produce new editions of the beloved Japanese anime role-playing game, Big Eyes, Small Mouth (or BESM), as well as the acclaimed superhero role-playing game, Silver Age Sentinels.

From the press release.
Well, well. I loved SAS and am thrilled it may be coming back.
Along with the 80's FASERIP system, it was (for me) one of the magic superhero systems you could Stat anything with without having to crunch numbers like Hero/Champions.

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
I never thought I'd see this day. I'm weirdly excited about it. BESM was one of my favorite games back in the day and MacKinnon was one of my fanfic authors, so it occupied this odd place in the Venn diagram of my fandoms.

Edit: I also hope this means we finally get to see an expanded "Anime Multiverse" series of supplements for the settings that were included in brief at the end of BESM 3E.
One of your fanfic authors? You keep some around? :D

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
And, depending on which version of the system you went in on, it had some neat rules-light touches. For instance, in the first edition if you had a giant robot, then you just bought a 'Owns a Giant Robot' attribute that you would then use with attack rolls. :) Later versions of the game system got more and more crunchy - personally I'm more a fan of the 2nd edition than the 3rd.

I'm curious to see what happens with the 4th edition, mechanicswise.
Also, it had rules where you could vary the cost of skills and abilities (and the size of dice used in the dice pool) based on your setting and the tone of your campaign. So, if you're running a gritty modern espionage campaign inspired by the Metal Gear series, you'd jack up the price of "owns a big mecha", to make having a mecha a character centric big deal.

On the other hand, if you're running a Super Robot campaign, you might lower the cost of "Owns a Big Mecha" so even the school delinquents can build a giant robot in a junkyard.

Top Bottom