• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

BESM 4th Edition Announced

Michael K

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Maybe this kickstarter can in some way be leveraged by the artists that were screwed over by GoO into something positive for them. No idea how exactly, but as they say, hope springs eternal.

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wonder if this Kickstarter is happening because White-Wolf has changed hands? Maybe the current, newer holders of the BESM license aren't aware of the creator's history?
I can't imagine how they wouldn't be, assuming basic licensing due diligence.

Paradox probably thought it was a great chance to get some free money from a fallow IP and reunite it with the creator.

The licensee says that everything's been discharged, so go to town.

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
I can't believe there's a company named "Japanime Games" in this day and age. Just like "Japanimation," it can and will be read and said by people as "Jap-An..." instead of "Japan-", the former resulting in a nasty and outdated epithet.

Last edited:

Lenin

Tolerant Ent
Validated User
a nasty and outdated epitaph.
"Epithet"?

Edit: Anyhow, I tend to pronounce "japanimation" with even stress throughout which, it seems to me, do esn't draw much attention to the first syllable. I'm not Japanese, but even if one did say "JAP-anim-ation" I don't know that it would register as an epithet at all unless the speaker really drew attention to it in the manner of a Hollywood actor playing a bully.

Last edited:

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Epithet"?

Edit: Anyhow, I tend to pronounce "japanimation" with even stress throughout which, it seems to me, do esn't draw much attention to the first syllable. I'm not Japanese, but even if one did say "JAP-anim-ation" I don't know that it would register as an epithet at all unless the speaker really drew attention to it in the manner of a Hollywood actor playing a bully.
Working in a video store in the 90's...yeah. It was always pronounced with the racial slur then -animation after it.

Spook

Burn the Heretic. Purge the unclean.
Validated User
Working in a video store in the 90's...yeah. It was always pronounced with the racial slur then -animation after it.
anecdote is not evidence.

I was around in the 90's anime scene and in my area in was Japan-imation.

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
anecdote is not evidence.

I was around in the 90's anime scene and in my area in was Japan-imation.
Eyup. My experience too. It was always Japan-imation, like a portmanteau. I'm sure someone intended it as a racial slur, but I imagine it was originally just intended to be a cute play on words.

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
"Epithet"?

I blame autocomplete.

I've heard the slur version of it spoken plenty of times at conventions, and it's not entirely gone.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Eyup. My experience too. It was always Japan-imation, like a portmanteau. I'm sure someone intended it as a racial slur, but I imagine it was originally just intended to be a cute play on words.
According to the late Fred Patten (who was around when that was the prefered term) Japan-imation was the preferred pronunciation, and was, because it came out of Fandom, meant as a pun, because there is nothing that Fen love more than puns, oh - and convoluted acronyms (FIAWOL!)

Japan-imation is also how I remember the Science Fiction Channel describing their original anime block as well.

Top Bottom