• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

BESM 4th Edition Announced

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Question: People who are owed money by GoO - are the PDFs being offered as add-ons or stretch goals PDFs which contain work from those folks? If so, is it possible to issue a copyright takedown for those files? There is a sample of the new edition there for download - the same question applies.

Guidance:

A reminder this is not a place to come for legal advice

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
According to the late Fred Patten (who was around when that was the prefered term) Japan-imation was the preferred pronunciation, and was, because it came out of Fandom, meant as a pun, because there is nothing that Fen love more than puns, oh - and convoluted acronyms (FIAWOL!)

Japan-imation is also how I remember the Science Fiction Channel describing their original anime block as well.
To be sure, but the term escaped from Fen circles into the wider world when it started appearing on category signs and tapes at stores at the mall (To say nothing of newspapers and magazines), and people used it both ways after that.

Ember Dragon

wannabe otokoyaku
Validated User
No matter how you pronounce it, Japanimation just seems needlessly retro. People know what anime is now.

tomas

Validated User
Eyup. My experience too. It was always Japan-imation, like a portmanteau.
Same for me. No racial slur was meant by anybody using the word. I still sometimes use it because my kids are into anime and I stopped watching shortly before the stuff was widely called anime.

I used to have a convention book back in the early 90s from either a Los Angeles or San Fran convention that had excellent synopsis of the more popular movies in it and it had "Japanimation" on the cover as part of the convention name. This was produced by fans of the medium for fans of the medium.

Ghola

Veteran of 100k psychic wars
Validated User
Personally I really hate the naked sub line. I think it really hurts potential interest in the rules lite version. I wager they will be forced to change it like that one game did Tokyo Brain Pop.
::reads post::
::comtemplates how many exabytes of hentai must exist now::
::laughs uproariously::

the cat

Drone
Validated User
::reads post::
::comtemplates how many exabytes of hentai must exist now::
::laughs uproariously::
Yes because hentai existing means that people can't be turned off of a product that has nothing to do with hentai.

urbwar

Hallowicked
Validated User
Personally I really hate the naked sub line. I think it really hurts potential interest in the rules lite version. I wager they will be forced to change it like that one game did Tokyo Brain Pop.
That's not what happened. The author made a second version of the game called Tokyo Brain Pop. Panty Explosion Perfect is still available for sale for those who had no issue with the title

the cat

Drone
Validated User
That's not what happened. The author made a second version of the game called Tokyo Brain Pop. Panty Explosion Perfect is still available for sale for those who had no issue with the title
If there was no disadvantage to the old name then there would be no need to make a new name for your product.

urbwar

Hallowicked
Validated User
If there was no disadvantage to the old name then there would be no need to make a new name for your product.
The game sold just fine as Panty Explosion. In fact, Panty Explosion Perfect was the 2nd edition (which also sold well). As they wrote on their website

Matt and I have resisted the idea of a name change in the past. Both of us like the name Panty Explosion and feel it suits the game well. At the same time, lots of people have told us that the name really has kept us from trying the game or sharing it with friends. So we’re listening to those people, and now with the name barrier removed we’re hoping everyone can enjoy our psychic school girl game.
That's just good business sense

Top Bottom