• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

BESM 4th Edition Announced

the cat

Drone
Validated User
The game sold just fine as Panty Explosion. In fact, Panty Explosion Perfect was the 2nd edition (which also sold well). As they wrote on their website

That's just good business sense
Doesn't this also help my argument that enough people hated the old name that they created a separate skew to address the complaints? Wouldn't it have been easy in the long run to just not name it something people would find tasteless or tacky?

the cat

Drone
Validated User
But then it wouldn't have sold so well to tasteless and tacky people. (Like me. ;) )
I know you know I don't mean it like this but I still want to be clear just in case someone else is misreading me - I'm not intending to belittle anyone that did buy it with the original name. I have an old copy of the game myself before the name change. I just feel like they could attract more fans with a better name. It seems I was wrong in a sense for Tokyo Brain Pop and panty explosion. But they still ended up having to make 2 names when - if they had just named it differently they wouldn't have needed to.

BESM naked to me feels like it's in a similar position. It could easily be called BESM lite and there would be no complaints on the name. There would still be complaints (justified complaints about Mark) but there would be one less thing against the project.

urbwar

Hallowicked
Validated User
Doesn't this also help my argument that enough people hated the old name that they created a separate skew to address the complaints? Wouldn't it have been easy in the long run to just not name it something people would find tasteless or tacky?
Honestly, no. The game has been around since 2005 or 2006, and did well enough they made a second edition. All with the name Panty Explosion. So for 7 years or so, it did fine with the original name. I liken it to Fox releasing Once Upon a Deadpool. Being PG-13, parents could take older children to see it, which they couldn't/wouldn't do for the R rated version. Tokyo Brain Pop is something similar. The originals were fine as is, but the toned down version was more accessible to a wider audience. Granted PEP is not the financial juggernaut Deadpool was, but it is still the same basic idea

Longspeak

I'm a Bard, Dammit!
Validated User
Same for me. No racial slur was meant by anybody using the word. I still sometimes use it because my kids are into anime and I stopped watching shortly before the stuff was widely called anime.

I used to have a convention book back in the early 90s from either a Los Angeles or San Fran convention that had excellent synopsis of the more popular movies in it and it had "Japanimation" on the cover as part of the convention name. This was produced by fans of the medium for fans of the medium.
The way I heard and used the term, it was an epithet about the perceived quality of the art and animation. "Oh, that's not a real animated show, it's only Japanimation." This was... late 70s? early 80s? A lot of animated stuff I saw at the time was of very low quality with the stilted dubbing I still associate with a lot of low-end anime.

That said, I am a late comer to Anime. It wasn't until my son started getting into it (and I learned he was secretly staying up late to watch Adult Swim in the early 00s), that I disovered a whole new vista of art and entertainment through Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and others. Now I see that anime, just like all other forms of entertainment, can really suck, and be really awesome, and all sorts of inbetween.

But as a kid? "That's Japanimation. I'll pass."

jamieth

Validated User
As someone who is in no way bothered by either BESM Naked nor Panty Explosion, I just have to say "BESM Stripped Down", as suggested by Bergy Bergy , would work just as well, and be a better pun to boot

martian_bob

Existential brain-poop
Validated User
Forget the promotional atmosphere and reactionary nature of the online RPG culture as it stands, it's a terrible cover. It's badly composed, the colors are unbalanced, the text is pretty repulsive in terms of font presentation…
+1, I feel like some art direction could really solve that cover. More characters, more body types, all entirely without clothes, and the word NAKED in big, blocky letters running across the cover from below everyone's shoulders to above their thighs, letter size varying to fit the characters. The characters are very happy to be there with friendly, excited, non-lusty looks on their faces, like a party where everyone's already done what they feel like doing and are now just chilling and happen to be naked. Several of the characters have a hand or arm extended, inviting the viewer to join the group.

ETA: I'm also now calling dibs on writing an RPG based on the musical Hair, OC DO NOT STEAL

Kai Tave

Validated User
Did you guys know it only costs a dollar to post comments and questions to a Kickstarter? It's true! And I know that a whole bunch of people in this thread are super, super interested with what Mark MacKinnon has been up to during the last ten years, and so I thought to myself, hey, you know what would be great? If everyone who was interested headed on over to the Kickstarter to ask Mr. MacKinnon your questions directly! The Dyskami Publishing account...you know, the company that Mr. MacKinnon founded and is in charge of...is really active over there, so it seems like a great way to get their attention!

Monkey King

Stay classy
Validated User
::reads post::
::comtemplates how many exabytes of hentai must exist now::
::laughs uproariously::
You can't read hentai on the bus. R-rated art has fallen out of style in RPG books partly so that we can attract people other than yet-even-more creepers into the hobby. Somebody proudly showing off that cover would set off a lot of red flags. What if I'm *not* skeevy and was just interested in the light rules set?

Top Bottom