• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Best Chase Scene Mechanics

JDCorley

Banned
Spycraft is the gold standard for modern chase mechanics, but it is a bit weak on foot chases. Good luck. :)

BigJackBrass

Two Separate Gorillas
Validated User
Dream Park used a very simple and compact system for chases, along with one for dogfights (another neglected area), which later showed up in the free Fuzion rules, based on a flowchart. It's perhaps a bit too simple - and the dogfighting rules tend to feel rather two-dimensional - but the system works and is particularly good if chases are not a major feature of your games so much as an occasional addition.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As mentioned before, UA has chase rules. They're fairly simple, but work well enough for a game that contains chase scenes but is not <i>about</i> chase scenes.

S. John Ross

Husband • Cook • Writer
Validated User
Heck, even Call of Cthulhu has simple chase-scene rules. That Iron Crown pulp supplement had some, too (both work on principles similar to the old JB007 rules, but then again most do).

I've always been partial to the chase-scene advice (not rules, just GMing techniques) in WEG's Star Wars library.

Future Villain Band

Super Moderator
Validated User
I never had anything less than an exciting car chase with Spycraft/Stargate SG1/Spycraft 2.0's chase mechanics, although I never actually used the SG1 mechanics for dogfighting like I should have.

--Eric

Old Scratch

Validated User
How about some more details on the actual mechanics and the philosophy behind the chase scenes. It's great to hear about games that have them, but it's even bettter to hear about how they actually pull it off...

Let me put my money where my mouth is...

Unknown Armies uses "lengths" to measure the distance between pursuer and pursued. Opposed checks are made to close or lose by a length. The GM may require another hazard roll. So if you are chasing someone five lengths away and you make your check and they fail, you close to four.

However, you can take a "Risk" by describing narratively some dangerous act you undertake to close even closer. If you succeed, you gain an additional length. Each risk can only be used once. Insane Risks are Dukes of Hazard or James Bond type acts that use half your skill and close five lengths.

It's a cool system.

Burning Wheel has a very cool positioning system, but I'm not as well versed at that and will leave it to others to explain...

admiralducksauce

Indestoppable
Whymme said:
Here is a set of rules that I wrote for WFRP. I've been using those for years now, so you can consider them well tested.
These look really simple and solid, too. Mind what Whymme says about describing the terrain and the setting between rolls, no matter what system you end up using.

A chase without description is just like a combat where you're saying "I swing." "You miss." "The orc swings at you," etc.

Top Bottom