• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Best Mechanics to Steal from Non-D&D Games

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
A small one; may not apply to all editions:

Charisma determines how many bonus languages you get (from Zweihander). Reasoning being you need to immerse yourself to learn them, and the more social you are the more you can do this. It's a minor thing, but Charisma-sans-pre-3e-mechanics needs all the help it can get.

Epicurean DM

Validated User
I steal heavily from 13th Age when running D&D. Most of the best stuff to steal has been mentioned.

I use a Torchbearer-style system for Inspiration. In order to spend Inspiration, a player must be able to explicitly tie it to one of their Ideals, Bonds, Traits, or Flaws. They've essentially got to read that part of their character sheet and make a brief case for it. To regain Inspiration, they must accept Disadvantage on a roll (or give an enemy Advantage) in the same way: show us how one of your RP traits hinders you (or gives your enemy a temporary advantage.

This system shifts the burden of tracking Inspiration on the players, where I think it should be, and it reinforces and strengthens the portrayal of the characters.

Bira

Validated User
I consider Dragon Heresy a D&D variant, which is why it took me this long to post about it, but it does something wonderful with AC and hit points. I would never run standard D&D 5 if I could be running Dragon Heresy rules instead.

Kuildeous

Validated User
I consider Dragon Heresy a D&D variant, which is why it took me this long to post about it, but it does something wonderful with AC and hit points. I would never run standard D&D 5 if I could be running Dragon Heresy rules instead.
Would you be willing to summarize? As someone who hates the AC and HP system of D&D, I love seeing workable variants. It's one reason I'm so enamored with M&M's method.

Yakk

Validated User
Would you be willing to summarize? As someone who hates the AC and HP system of D&D, I love seeing workable variants. It's one reason I'm so enamored with M&M's method.
Two kinds of AC, and Damage Reduction.

3 kinds of HP. DR applies to the 2nd kind of HP, not the first. Defence options can move damage from the first to the second, or vice versa, sometimes depending on equipment. Damage to the second forces a save to see if you get a condition. Grappling somehow directly damages the 3rd kind of HP. 12 kinds of grappling actions.

Two kinds of attacks; regular and swift.

Bunch of size mechanics.

At the surface, seems pretty standard heartbreaker stuff.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
I can't remember that...how did they work?
Your character has one Virtue and one Vice. Acting according to your Virtue or Vice (your Nature) gets you a Conviction Point. CPs are meta currency to give you in game bonuses.

Somewhat like very mild Aspects. No reason you could not change it to an aspect or two that can be positive or negative based on the situation.

Top Bottom