Best of the GAZ series?

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As I tinker around with my next D&D campaign, which will be fairly Rules Cyclopedia-centric, I once again have my eye on the supplementary material produced for the RC. Which of the Mystara Gazetteers do you like best, and why? Any you'd recommend staying away from? Is there any significant Mystara material that the GAZ series doesn't include?

Last edited:

harkin

Validated User
No specific recommendations, but a question ... where can one find those old GAZ books these days anyway? There are a few used ones floating around, but prices seem quite high ($30+). Is anybody producing any PDFs of these old monsters?

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
No specific recommendations, but a question ... where can one find those old GAZ books these days anyway? There are a few used ones floating around, but prices seem quite high ($30+). Is anybody producing any PDFs of these old monsters?
Yeah, the used prices are pretty high. Wizards used to sell them as PDFs, but they don't anymore.

Chade

Setting junkie
Karameikos and Glantri were the best IMO.

Rockhome is great if you really like dwarves.

Northern Kingdoms is pretty good if you like vikings, but it's kind of limited compared to K and G.

simontmn

Validated User
I like Northern Kingdoms best, a great sourcebook for Viking campaigns. Next up is the Dawn of the Emperors box set for its epic Clash of Civilisations, then probably Grand Duchy of Karameikos.

harkin

Validated User
Yeah, the used prices are pretty high. Wizards used to sell them as PDFs, but they don't anymore.
That's a shame ... the work's already done, the bandwidth/server space can't cost much of anything, and even if only a few would buy some of these old units, those few would be paying for copyrighted material that is essentially gathering dust anyway. I realize that WotC is plugging the newest edition, but selling a few old volumes as PDFs on the side can't really hurt, can it?

I mean, think of it this way:

If I really want GAZ1, I can get this scarce item on the bay for, say, $35--none of which goes to WotC. If they put up a $10 PDF, they would get, well, $10. Either way I get the item I want, but with the PDF version the copyright holders get theirs.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that WotC should be flogging all the old modules/accessories/etc. they own the rights to, in PDF form, for a small fee. I can understand not offering the old core books, out of deference to the 4e enterprise, but all that other stuff could generate a small but continuous revenue stream, for very little outlay.

Old school and retro-clone gamers aren't going away, so why not try to get a few of their dollars as well?

Or, better yet, why not just give me what I want, when I want it, and for a low price?;)

harkin

Validated User
But back to the OP's question (pardon me for the hijack) ...

I liked Karameikos, the setting for the initial adventures, in part, I think, because that was my first intro to a D&D world. I'll pick up the Gazetteer myself, should I come across it again.

Another, perhaps odd one, isn't a GAZ at all--the "Top Ballista" supplement (PC2) was a Creature Crucible, but it did contain a setting, since it described the gnomish flying city of Serraine. I never used it in a game, but I thought it was a pretty cool all the same.

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
My faves were Minrothrad Guilds and Golden Khan. But I was a sucker for the "exotic social setup"/"relationship web" things.

JohnBiles

Validated User
Glantri is my favorite, though Karameikos is pretty much a classic set up for a traditional campaign.

Top Bottom