• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Best "Realistic" Melee Combat

Khairn

Retired User
Recently I've been on a kick to run a game with not only crunch but with a "realistic" and probably deadly, combat system for a quasi-historical setting I'm working on. In the past I've played Riddle of Steel when I've been on a similar mission, but I can't seem to find my book, and the various TROS books available online are all out of my price range. I can always fall back on Rolmaster (which I love) but I was hoping to find something new.

So with that in mind, I recently looked at MML and liked what I read. But I was wondering what other "realistic" combat systems are out there that might help me scratch that itch.

Key elements would include
-not OOP
-detailed combat that requires critical decisions from the players
-Hit Location a preference
-can incorporate medieval European weapons and armor
-not afraid of a crunch heavy game, but I'm doubtful that any rules-lite system would work
-a magic system is optional

So what do you think?

loseth

A Dungeoneer and a
. In the past I've played Riddle of Steel when I've been on a similar mission, but I can't seem to find my book, and the various TROS books available online are all out of my price range.
It kind of sounds like you're after something new, but just in case you weren't aware, the TRoS manoeuvre cards, GM's screen, Quickstart Rules & damage charts are all downloadable for free from the TRoS support site. IMHO, these together are superior to the TRoS core rules or any other iteration of the TRoS rules. In particular, the Quickstart rules replace a lot of the clunkier non-combat systems from TRoS Core with more rules-lite (and IMO more playable) alternatives while keeping all the delicious crunch of the original combat system.

Top Bottom